2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. Ndombele, Doucoure, Zielinski, maybe Barella, Rabiot, Savic, Neves are examples, some might not come or be affordable. There are some older players that could fit in.

Would love to keep Gomes though.

Do any of them look like this though?

220px-André_Filipe_Tavares_Gomes.jpg

What a predictable post.

First of all, please show me where you asked me to name alterantives we could get. Is that what "Name Some" means?

Second of all, my point was ONLY that other players are available if Gomes is going to cost a fortune. If he's not, then we'll get Gomes. Do you think we'll get him for under 40M? Why would Barca sell for under that. So if we are willing to go 50M to 70M for a central mid in the summer, other than maybe Rabiot who will want to play for a bigger club to match his ego, and Savic who will probably push for CL, too, are you suggesting Barella couldn't be gotten for 50M? NDombele for 70M? Neves wouldn't leave Wolves for 60M? Zielenski for 50M?

Regardless of price, I listed players that would be available.

I'm also not advocating for ANY of them and not sure which of them I'd like better than Gomes. But this idea that Gomes is the only solution to our future box-to-box midfield issue is a bit silly.

You’ve literally just contradicted yourself: you just wrote a list of people “that would be available” ergo we can get. Which we can’t.

Aren't Barcelona having defensive problems? If so they may be willing to cash in on him in January to bolster their defence.

Aren't Barcelona having defensive problems? If so they may be willing to cash in on him in January to bolster their defence.

I don't know but if they are, it's strange how they sold us Mina? Anyway, Gomes won't go back to Barca, the fans hate him. The big question is if he'll end up here, which I think he will as long as we keep going in the right direction.

Get the impression with the guy he needs to feel loved. If we as fans show him the love it may well help to make him really want to stay. As for the cash, the moshman and Brands can worry about that.
What happens when he has a surprise off day and gets dog shhbite posted thro his letter box?!

Sure. Ndombele, Doucoure, Zielinski, maybe Barella, Rabiot, Savic, Neves are examples, some might not come or be affordable. There are some older players that could fit in.

Would love to keep Gomes though.

I get your point but do think Gomes offers a pretty unique player that suits us really well atm.

Neves, for example, isn't a ball carrier, he sits deep and dictates the play. I don't actually know what Savic does but appreciate he's very good. Zielinski has always looked more of a diminutive playmaker type to me.

I get the Ndombele example, certainly, although I'd also say Ndombele's game is more about power. Really like Doucoure as a player too, but not sure his control or ability on the ball can be compared to Gomes'.

I'd say - in PL terms - the player that Gomes seems most akin to on the ball is Dembele. Gomes seems to have more height and a bit more of an eye for a penetrating pass, but in terms of his dribbling on the ball and strength when in possession, he seems very similar. Dembele has (or had) a bit more of a burst of pace, though.

Get your point though, and I'm sure we'll have alternatives in mind but I'm confident we'll get the deal done. Was chuffed when we signed him because I remember the hype from when he was at Benfica and Valencia. I think I admitted at the time I perhaps never 'got it' with him but simultaneously from what I'd seen of him pre-Barcelona, if he regained that form we were getting a hell of a player.

Even in October, before he came into the side, we had people saying we needed 2 midfielders, and I don't think they realised just what Gomes could bring to our team in that link role.

I get your point but do think Gomes offers a pretty unique player that suits us really well atm.

Neves, for example, isn't a ball carrier, he sits deep and dictates the play. I don't actually know what Savic does but appreciate he's very good. Zielinski has always looked more of a diminutive playmaker type to me.

I get the Ndombele example, certainly, although I'd also say Ndombele's game is more about power. Really like Doucoure as a player too, but not sure his control or ability on the ball can be compared to Gomes'.

I'd say - in PL terms - the player that Gomes seems most akin to on the ball is Dembele. Gomes seems to have more height and a bit more of an eye for a penetrating pass, but in terms of his dribbling on the ball and strength when in possession, he seems very similar. Dembele has (or had) a bit more of a burst of pace, though.

Get your point though, and I'm sure we'll have alternatives in mind but I'm confident we'll get the deal done. Was chuffed when we signed him because I remember the hype from when he was at Benfica and Valencia. I think I admitted at the time I perhaps never 'got it' with him but simultaneously from what I'd seen of him pre-Barcelona, if he regained that form we were getting a hell of a player.

Even in October, before he came into the side, we had people saying we needed 2 midfielders, and I don't think they realised just what Gomes could bring to our team in that link role.

Was kind of hoping with Davies training with him he would improve and come on, but watching gomes play it is all just instinctive, you cannot teach yourself that.

Gomes instinctively knows where to place himself and what ball to play and to who. Mostly always the right move or pass.

Some players have just 'got it

You’ve literally just contradicted yourself: you just wrote a list of people “that would be available” ergo we can get. Which we can’t.
I’m going to assume you are just trying to wind me up at this point. Either that or English is your 8th language.

He’s unique, sure, and he might be a really good fit. Seems like a wonderful character for our club, too. Again, I seriously think I was the first poster on the board to suggested we get Gomes. But is Gomes the best box to box player in the world?

Imagine Doucoure or Ndombele in his place. Both those guys are more athletic, more explosive, might be better at winning balls and could morph us into a very scary 4-2-3-1 counter attacking side. Pair them with Gana and you’ve got a more disruptive team that could be very difficult to break down. Just different. Both expensive, too.

I just fear that Gomes will be super expensive as he suddenly looks like the player he was at Valencia. He will be sold, though. Barca knows he isn’t a fit for their style of play.

I don’t even really like Neves or Savic. Haven’t seen Barella at all, just using him as a point. There are a couple older guys we could probably plug in for a year or so, too.

Was kind of hoping with Davies training with him he would improve and come on, but watching gomes play it is all just instinctive, you cannot teach yourself that.

Gomes instinctively knows where to place himself and what ball to play and to who. Mostly always the right move or pass.

Some players have just 'got it
Think Davies hasn’t some of that. Gomes protects the ball so well and can carry it even under pressure. He’s so tricky and uses his size very well. Davies is probably even quicker, but that’s where I hope he can teach him some things. How to buy yourself a bit more time rather than forcing a pass and giving it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.