2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean? We’ve watched him play for us all season, we know he’s good o_O
This is what I don’t get about some people. They’ll write off a player who we’ve all seen can do it in the league then suggest some teenager with 3 cup appearances in a pub league should be signed instead of them for double the money because they have “potential”

Stats work more on American sports wher the games constantly stop and start and you have offence and defence and playbooks and at time the whole team is changed
Not so sure stats work as well with soccer where it’s more down to the eye than the stats
Easier to work out sure.

But basketball has some decent advanced analytics going on and is much more of a 'constant motion' sport.

I do think statistics in football have a *long* way to go, but that doesn't mean that they won't eventually get there. Just not yet. I suspect it'll end up being largely related to positional tracking data in specific scenarios more than discreet statistics like goals/assists though, since those are so rare in football it's hard to get a clear picture. Basketball has the advantage of shooting/scoring loads which helps with sample size.

Anyhow, sign Gomes plz.

This is what I don’t get about some people. They’ll write off a player who we’ve all seen can do it in the league then suggest some teenager with 3 cup appearances in a pub league should be signed instead of them for double the money because they have “potential”
It’s all about the XG and the XA plus the FIFA ratings
My wife knows nothing about football but wants us to sign him
She also want him booked every week for taking his shirt off after scoring a blammo

He got into the squad last year but pulled out due to injury
He was a regular in the squad up to a couple of years ago
A good season injury free with us and I reckon he will be back in
Barca spent 40 m on him for a reason

He was in the squad back in March this year.

Hopefully a full pre season and year in English football under his belt will help him find consistency - im 50/50 with Gomes looked absolutely boss some games and slugglishly poor the next.

Hopefully a full pre season and year in English football under his belt will help him find consistency - im 50/50 with Gomes looked absolutely boss some games and slugglishly poor the next.

He went through that rut in the new year didnt he? Then got a second wind. So like you say, now acclimatised, and match fit, hopefully all good next season.

He went through that rut in the new year didnt he? Then got a second wind. So like you say, now acclimatised, and match fit, hopefully all good next season.

Yeah Im hoping his poor patch is largely to do with that turgid period where everyone looked clueless on the pitch.

Bernard started to show towards the latter stages of the season that he adapted to the physicality of the league so lets hope its the same for Gomes as he is definitely a quality player.

Status
Not open for further replies.