2018/19 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klaassen didnt even look very good in holland. Total waste of money and i dont think you can compare the two really.

I think if we sign Gomes then he must be deep with 2 box to box monsters in the centre.

Gana doesnt work at all next to him with sigurdsson so far ahead...theres no defence bar Gana and i think we get overrun there...

I dont think he needs goals or assists, hed be similar to Jorginho at chelsea positionally but is strong and can run forward so i think its best to see him deep.
Again, since when has Silva ever played with twin box to box players in front of a holding player? He’s got two variants of his 4-3-3, either with twin CM/DMs or a single Anchor man and a box to box. The playmaker / pivot sits deeper, but in front of those two.

Gomes is also not Jorginho, nor is he a 6. He contributes nothing defensively. Barcelona tried that with Gomes and thought they could make him a Busquets, but he is terrible without the ball. You can’t have a DM that doesn’t at least have some positional sense to pick off a pass or two. He also has little discipline, is a step slow, and fouls CONSTANY.

I love him with the ball, but in Silva’s system, he has to play as the farthest advanced of the midfielders, which Sigurdsson is probably a better fit. Maybe against a crap team where we know we’ll have the ball more he can play as an 8 and we can get away with his defensive liabilities, but I don’t think that’s a great idea. Don’t get me wrong, when we’ve got the ball, he’s terrific, and can play anywhere in our midfield. Maybe his positional issues can be solved over time, but his fouling and lack of pace/agility/tackling is a problem.

Good day Gomes, yes please

Bad day Gomes, surely we can do better?

Consistency seems to be a rare thing these days

Going to stop you there, he did. I watched a lot of Ajax the year before he came and he was great. Unfortunately for us, when he was there his game was built on having pace out wide who he would distribute the ball out to and then receive it back from in the box, usually with a late run.

He was definitely too lightweight for this league but he had no chance of showing what he was about in our paceless team.
Thats not true Zat. He looked good in Holland and Europe.

We differ in opinions then, as I posted a few times when we were linked and couldnt fathom why we would sign him.

Again, since when has Silva ever played with twin box to box players in front of a holding player? He’s got two variants of his 4-3-3, either with twin CM/DMs or a single Anchor man and a box to box. The playmaker / pivot sits deeper, but in front of those two.

Gomes is also not Jorginho, nor is he a 6. He contributes nothing defensively. Barcelona tried that with Gomes and thought they could make him a Busquets, but he is terrible without the ball. You can’t have a DM that doesn’t at least have some positional sense to pick off a pass or two. He also has little discipline, is a step slow, and fouls CONSTANY.

I love him with the ball, but in Silva’s system, he has to play as the farthest advanced of the midfielders, which Sigurdsson is probably a better fit. Maybe against a crap team where we know we’ll have the ball more he can play as an 8 and we can get away with his defensive liabilities, but I don’t think that’s a great idea. Don’t get me wrong, when we’ve got the ball, he’s terrific, and can play anywhere in our midfield. Maybe his positional issues can be solved over time, but his fouling and lack of pace/agility/tackling is a problem.

Thats my point really.

You need 2 box to box CMs in this team to accommodate either Gomes or Sigurdsson.

You have to dominate the midfield for them to be effective.

Signing gomes and starting him and sigurdsson doesnt make sense.

Perhaps not in the English sense of the position (tough tacking, intercepting etc), but he can certainly play there - set the tempo, keep the ball moving, link defence to attack.

Where else? Not convinced he'd do much better further forward, doesn't seem to create/thread much forward.

I think he could play as a deep lying playmaker, in the quarterback role like KDB.

Of course hes not even close to his level and you would have to put players who could tackle either side, but I think he would do great there.

Status
Not open for further replies.