2023/24 Amadou Onana

Both him and Garner look so much happier in that formation, very mature and accomplished perfromance. His passing and showing for the ball goes a bit unnoticed at times.

He definitely showed for the ball.in much better positions tonight as well. Every time he received it, he'd manoeuvred himself into position to be able to turn time after time after time.

A lot better.

What brilliance did he do that was so underrated tonight? Thought he did ok but nothing stood out.

You only have to be half decent to get over-rated as an Everton player. He did ok is right. Nothing special. I think where criticism is so often dished out these days that an ok performance is bigged up to something it isnt/wasnt.
He played ok.

You only have to be half decent to get over-rated as an Everton player. He did ok is right. Nothing special. I think where criticism is so often dished out these days that an ok performance is bigged up to something it isnt/wasnt.
He played ok.
Yes I’ve noticed since reading through player threads it seems if someone gets stick then others feel they have to stick up for them or make it out like they’ve bossed games. I tend to say it as I see it and my opinions are based on what I watch not what others say. Patterson thread for instance is ridiculous but I do get some concerns and can see the argument for him playing ok as well, feel the ok games get blown out of proportion for how silly some of the stuff in there is. Apart from a few positions I feel there’s tons of room for improvement or better players right through the squad.

He played ok.
What exactly do you expect him to be doing? He isn't the type of player that is going to have an amazing highlights role. That's not his job but Declan Rice is a £115m player by being tidy in possession and covering a lot of ground. Put Rice in our team and he would be performing in much the same way Onana did last night.

What exactly do you expect him to be doing? He isn't the type of player that is going to have an amazing highlights role. That's not his job but Declan Rice is a £115m player by being tidy in possession and covering a lot of ground. Put Rice in our team and he would be performing in much the same way Onana did last night.

What exactly are you talking about. I said he played ok. You're the classic because i didnt say he was zidane esq you think it was criticism.

Safe with the ball. His first instinct was to turn sideways or back, but acted as a good fulcrum in our build up. Wish he had the arrogance to use the left and right runners when he broke free to keep driving towards goal and smash one himself. Played a decent through ball to Dom but he was always going to get crowded out.

Massive credit to him for following Eze around, particularly first half. Eze tried to drop behind him loads of times, Onana let him drop to avoid collapsing into our backline himself, but stayed aware of where he was so that he could shuffle sideways to make sure there was no straight ball into Eze’s feet. Head on a swivel constantly. Given his awareness of runners and what’s behind him has been his main weakness in the past, he took this responsibility on brilliantly, forcing Eze to get the ball quite a lot, but in much less dangerous areas. Good stuff 👍