2023/24 Amadou Onana

Pretty much. Playing in the space between the 2 centre backs and 2 midfielders.

If he had have been used there then Sheff United wouldnt have had so much space behind our midfield.

It also enables him to combine with Branthwaite (good passer) and come short for Tarkowski. Not to mention his cross field passing could be used from deep to the flanks while his combinations with Garner should lead to more impact in through balls.
That could be key actually, having the game always in front of him rather than around him. You can’t just drop any old talent into the maelstrom of centre mid and they will automatically perform. Some players need to see the game without having to anticipate everything going on around them 🤷‍♂️

Although he hasn’t had his traditional Everton stint at left and right back yet, so deep 6 will have to wait.

He asks for the ball so he can pass it straight back first time to pad his pass completion %. Did it last year, done it this year. Does it from the start of games. No thought of progressing the ball or pulling the opposition out of shape. Bang, straight back to Tarks.

Does take a lot of passes deep in midfield, but how many times has he then turned or rolled the oncoming challenge and either opened end his legs and gained some ground, or passed it to anyone advancing. Even cut it wide to an advancing full back so at least they can move up the pitch and break a weak press. About twice in dozens of games.

He is like one of those you see in kids football who stroll around, a bit scared to get involved, but with 10 mins to go realise they about to have to go back to hear what the manager and parents have to say. Or in his case to go and badge slap in front of a half emptied Glwadys Street. Starts showing faux urgency and pashun in the final throes of a defeat to try and reduce the boos.

Definitely not helped by the cack around him, or where managers are trying to play him (though he manages to be totally invisible in all of the different forms of centre midfield play - was very deep today). Baffling. Everyone is at fault on this one. Including Kev and his agent.
Good post

Surely those middle fingering any critique of his performances can’t honestly say he is either playing well as a bottom 6 PL midfielder or getting close to what his current (not future) level is? This is not about potential and “ceiling”. It’s about scores out of 10 for performance NOW. If he wins the CL with PSG in 2027 he will still have been the worst midfielder on the pitch yesterday, and our current most expensive outfield player is our current least performing outfield player.

They haven't an answer to this. It's a clique thing.

He was far and away our best player against Fulham and up there for motm vs sheff utd.

Thats strange to me that you think otherwise.

Just playing deeper doesnt mean he was playing as an anchor.

Cadamateri looked a good player to me too...rapid and could finish.

100%. The entire midfield has no structure.

We can all slate Gana and Doucoure (i do) but i see Garner and Onana being used in absolutely stupid roles and scratch my head at the absolute state of the manager.
“ He was far and away our best player against Fulham and up there for MOTM vs Sheffield Unt, That’s strange to me you think otherwise” Being honest I saw both games and the lad looked the same to me as he always does, playing well within himself, he never breaks sweat. I wish he was half as good as he thinks he is, I think you over hype him, the lad was very poor yesterday especially with his passing which you think is very good, he definitely has to,play much better than he has done to get the top clubs coming in for him,imo, I keep watching and waiting for him to show me consistently the touches he shows now and again.

I don’t go the game to criticise him but to see him help Everton to win with good performances but he seldom impresses me, I’ll keep watching hoping he can change my mind.

Useless yesterday, I was at the game and able to see him off the ball.
He wasn't picking up anyone and didn't look arsed, he doesn't get involved.
Who knows, maybe he's told to just sit there, but the size of him, he should be powering through the midfield.
Was the same last season watching him and the reason most people around me would be fed up with his lack of contribution to the game on or off the ball.

Useless yesterday, I was at the game and able to see him off the ball.
He wasn't picking up anyone and didn't look arsed, he doesn't get involved.
Who knows, maybe he's told to just sit there, but the size of him, he should be powering through the midfield.

except for brainthwaite and mykolenko and could argue pickford as he didnt have much to do, every player was useless.

he needs to do more, but that midfield 3 does not work, we as fans know this, but the manager doesnt apparently.

i think he comes good when he's playing in a better midfield and a better manager, he was abysmal yesterday though