2023/24 Amadou Onana

Oddly, Dyche seems to be insistent on not having an actual #6 in his team despite the clear gaps it creates between defense and midfield by not having one. Gana has also not been deployed there in a traditional fashion.

Of all the midfielders to use as a 6 hes gone for the one whose game is focused on pressing.

Looks like Ball is coming around to my way of thinking. Play him in his natural position.
The bits I saw of last night Belgium game reflected what you should be getting of a number 6 . Onana wasn’t excessively busy , but he was always there or there about6 , a pass here a tackle there . The potential to develop into a fine No6 is clearly there.

Onana
- Garner ------------ Doucoure

Would this work going forward? a midfield 3 with Onana playing deeper, just in front of the back four, with Garner, Doucs & Gana rotating in the two spots further up. Certainly you'd imagine that games would 'pass him by' less if he got more involved in front of our own 25 yard box..

Of course that'd mean that we'd have to play in more of a 4-3-3 which has it's pitfalls.

Onana
- Garner ------------ Doucoure

Would this work going forward? a midfield 3 with Onana playing deeper, just in front of the back four, with Garner, Doucs & Gana rotating in the two spots further up. Certainly you'd imagine that games would 'pass him by' less if he got more involved in front of our own 25 yard box..

Of course that'd mean that we'd have to play in more of a 4-3-3 which has it's pitfalls.
I don't think Dyche will go for a 433 when dcl is back. I see more of a 442. He is so gonna play Beto and Dcl uptop.
So probs have sommat like.
Harrison Garner Onana Mcneil
Maybe Onana sits deeper and it's more of a 4132
Swap out for Danjuma for any of the wide positions or as 1 of the front 2 if there are injuries.

I don't think Dyche will go for a 433 when dcl is back. I see more of a 442. He is so gonna play Beto and Dcl uptop.
So probs have sommat like.
Harrison Garner Onana Mcneil
Maybe Onana sits deeper and it's more of a 4132
Swap out for Danjuma for any of the wide positions or as 1 of the front 2 if there are injuries.
Do generally agree with this but difficult to leave out Danjuma when he's been one of our most productive attacking threats so far.

Whilst 4-4-2 is deffo an option I only see it as a 'late game' option if the situation calls for it, otherwise I reckon Dyche will be sticking with just the one CF this season.

The bits I saw of last night Belgium game reflected what you should be getting of a number 6 . Onana wasn’t excessively busy , but he was always there or there about6 , a pass here a tackle there . The potential to develop into a fine No6 is clearly there.

Thats exactly what he is/does and has done all his career (aside from with us).

Some are asking him to dominate the whole pitch it seems while if hes given a clear defined role as a 6 we should see him floirish.