2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
As he showed at the start of the second half, he can carry the ball well from deep and he's hard to stop when he gets going.

He had his best game for us when he played in a double pivot with Gana. That's how he needs to be used.

For anyone saying "he offers nothing", I'm genuinely concerned about your eye sight.

I think it should be him and Garner as the double pivot.

As someone has already said,

He's being played in this sort of weird no mans land in in midfield, does he attack, defend? Seems to me like one who is better when a designated role rather than somwhere between the two, He's very athletic but doesn't use that athleticism at all. I'd rather stick in the middle of the three and just let him sit, but we dont have anyone with an ounce of creativity to play in there instead either so what does it matter.

Stick him in as the anchor, he will excel there, even if those around him are still [Poor language removed]. A creative midfeilder, creative winger and a striker are must's for january. An attacking left back wouldn't be a bad thing either.

I do like Gana next to him purely for the ball winning. I think the 2 holders makes them bring the best out of each other.

But then, in a team where the front 3 do nothing, you're asking Iwobi do all of the midfield creation on his own. Our full backs do not attack, they just do not attack at all. You've then got 6 sitting, four attacking, in which those four a selection of Iwobi (in the middle), Gray, Maupay, DCL, Gordon, McNeill.

He just looks lost most games.

His role should be as a support for Gana, still allows him to range forward with his long strides now and then but his primary role should be to compliment Gana and i just don't see that in games recently.

Often both him and Iwobi are nowhere to be seen in the middle of the pitch when we try to play out through Gana (which in itself is an issue as that's not his game) which just results in the expected giveaway of the ball or pass back to punt in forward anyway. On the flip side with Iwobi being the creative option of the 3 when he wanders, Onana then sometimes pops up in the box as a taller outlet which leaves us with 1 player to deal with counters which Bournemouth ripped us apart with today.

It's easy to forget that the lad barely started in Ligue 1 last season, in fact the same club is using Andre Gomes more regularly this season than Onana was last.

The lad has a lot of development still needed and at the moment i'm not sure he's being managed correctly.

Having a really tough time at the moment. Game passing him by with him having such a little impact. The lack of goals between him, Gueye and Iwobi is another nail in the coffin of our terrible attacking play.

Status
Not open for further replies.