Confirmed Signing Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really want this to be true. Just checked Wiki and he’s a 6’5 defensive midfielder who made his first start full international start for Belgium in June. Get it done Everton!

If we have the money for this at all I guess it’s the vast majority of the budget so the question is do we spend that on a defensive midfielder?

I guess the justification would be that he can provide the defensive stability in a two but also he could properly protect a back 4 and that might make him the player who can “unlock” the option of 433 which seems to be what Lampard ultimately wants but we maybe don’t have the personnel for.

But the argument against is that we’ve lost James, Richy, even Gylfi, and brought in so little creativity to replace them that blowing the budget on a non-creative player solidifies us but doesn’t solve the problem of being unable to break down the lesser teams in the league, the teams around us we need to be beating more regular. We still have no one really who can spot killer balls or put a free kick in the top corner.

So you end up maybe closer to the ability to play 433 but still without the creative attacking midfielder you want in a three. Can you get that creativity on the cheap if the budget goes on Onana? The first name that springs to mind is, gulp, Barkley, unless there are positive noises about a potential loan for that position.

Might be moot if it’s all nonsense anyway but even though we should definitely be investing in young guys like this I don’t know if any one guy can solve enough of our problems to spend that much in one fell swoop.

Probably a smokescreen to get us all excited while DCL injured and no new striker coming in

Just can't see us signing another DM aswell as gueye especially at that price

Status
Not open for further replies.