2020/21 Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'd get absolutely battered with Gomes shielding the back four. He's like soft cheese trying to defend. Literally couldn't get any worse at it.

But yeah, if we put someone in there who can let Allan and Doucoure push on a bit more we'd look a lot better I think.

I'd even be tempted to give Godfrey a go in there at this rate. Can't be worse than the Iwobi/Davies axis of slug.

I'm not really on about him shielding the back four. We need someone who can retain the ball.

We haven't done that well really since the first three games - Gomes played in those.

Godfrey isn't a midfielder. We could really do with just playing players in their actual positions.

One of the few players in our team who looks capable of retaining a football. He doesnt panic when he gets the ball. If a pass isn't on, he'll turn the other way and look up and seems to play passes at the right time.
There's too much chat from our fans about "shielding the back four" and not leaving our defence exposed but most of the chances that teams have against us are from our players giving the ball away needlessly. It's an unforced error and leaves us exposed. If we actually had more than just Allan and James on Saturday who didn't give the ball away so much then we'd have not conceded so many chances. Holgate does it, Keane does it, Iwobi, Davies, Doucoure, Gomes even Rico was on Saturday. We just need players comfortable on the football and we will look so much better. I struggle to comprehend how often professional footballers give the ball away. It's not even like many of our players even take risks. Allan needs to be given proper licence to be a box to box centre mid for me alongside a more defensive player. Whoever that is though, needs to be able to retain possession.

Holgate could easily assume the role again and release Allan to be more box to box... he was a revelation going forward and running with the ball

Holgate could easily assume the role again and release Allan to be more box to box... he was a revelation going forward and running with the ball
I don't know about easily. Holgate could sit and that would be helpful, but we'd lose a lot in possession with him. His ability on the ball is passable for a CB but that isn't the same when moving into midfield.

I don't know about easily. Holgate could sit and that would be helpful, but we'd lose a lot in possession with him. His ability on the ball is passable for a CB but that isn't the same when moving into midfield.
Will admit his passing (along with the rest of the team) has been scratchy as best since he has been back.. so maybe not easily.. but better than Iwobi as a left wing back

Boy was he bad in that half....Yes he played a cracking ball to Richarlison but it only came about from him having a poor first touch and Westwood trying to buy a foul. He's better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.