2020/21 Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have to disagree. Sigurdsson tracked the player well after his poo header but missed the basics any defending player worth thier salt would have seen & done. Fwiw I'm ex semi pro left back. Firstly the play is outside the box so getting up close is the better thing to do. Giving the player 3ft of space (which isn't standing your man up at that distance) to turn then move across into the box to either play a pass or try to come at you & buy a penalty is bad. You want to get in his space & force the play backwards or outwards or at least keep his vision towards the corner flag & not at options. The attacking player had also not looked up at options or set his body shape up to do anything meaningful yet & Siggy allowed the potential of that to become available by standing off. The attacker was running straight & not facing towards goal yet & Allan could see the mistake Siggy was making so got in there as soon as possible. Cut out the attackers options & you conceed less goals. Sigurdsson was putting the cross or pass or push into the box on a plate for them. Thankfully Allan stopped it from becoming a thing.
[/QUOTE]

If Sigurdsson was a natural defender I'd agree with you. But he's not and as I said, he has his limitations. If he had rushed out and committed to a tackle he'd probably have been beaten and the attacker is inside our box. The sensible thing is to stand your man up and wait for support. It was decent team work.

Well confused then, I was thinking “how are ya saying all that to word ‘the’”

4F6E335B-2FCA-4FAE-ABD4-F0CC15A54D92.png

Last edited:
I have to disagree. Sigurdsson tracked the player well after his poo header but missed the basics any defending player worth thier salt would have seen & done. Fwiw I'm ex semi pro left back. Firstly the play is outside the box so getting up close is the better thing to do. Giving the player 3ft of space (which isn't standing your man up at that distance) to turn then move across into the box to either play a pass or try to come at you & buy a penalty is bad. You want to get in his space & force the play backwards or outwards or at least keep his vision towards the corner flag & not at options. The attacking player had also not looked up at options or set his body shape up to do anything meaningful yet & Siggy allowed the potential of that to become available by standing off. The attacker was running straight & not facing towards goal yet & Allan could see the mistake Siggy was making so got in there as soon as possible. Cut out the attackers options & you conceed less goals. Sigurdsson was putting the cross or pass or push into the box on a plate for them. Thankfully Allan stopped it from becoming a thing.

Yes. Some oldies who 'know' football will remember Alex Parker at full back for Everton. The basis of his defending skill was to 'shepherd' the winger into the corner so that he had nowhere to go and practically gave up the ball. All great defenders have this ability.....to limit the attackers opportunities by limiting the areas were he can do positive work. Sort of not 'reacting' to the attacker but forcing him to do what you want him to do.
[/QUOTE]
Yes this. You probably explained it better than me. I was taught this attitude towards defending from really young & carried it with me throughout my football days. At 10 I was told the line I used earlier "Cut out the attackers options & you conceed less goals" by my coach & it really is that simple & left a mark on me. Big up Graham Clarke & Chiltern FC !!!!

Yes. Some oldies who 'know' football will remember Alex Parker at full back for Everton. The basis of his defending skill was to 'shepherd' the winger into the corner so that he had nowhere to go and practically gave up the ball. All great defenders have this ability.....to limit the attackers opportunities by limiting the areas were he can do positive work. Sort of not 'reacting' to the attacker but forcing him to do what you want him to do.
Yes this. You probably explained it better than me. I was taught this attitude towards defending from really young & carried it with me throughout my football days. At 10 I was told the line I used earlier "Cut out the attackers options & you conceed less goals" by my coach & it really is that simple & left a mark on me. Big up Graham Clarke & Chiltern FC !!!!
[/QUOTE]
Yeah but those days no one could run faster than 5 miles per hour and had wasted muscles.....didn't you know that todays football was about running 100mph and possessing limited football skills and having biceps in your little finger as everyone can flick a players and they will hit the ground and roll over 5 times screaming like a girl. Football has moved on and is more faster and physical than ever

This was picked up on by the 'pundits' a little glimpse into the difference between last seasons midfield and this seasons. Without Allan doing that, that becomes a dangerous play. Gylfi just standing 5 yards off, that's the difference, Allan sees an opportunity to tackle and takes it.

It demonstrates also why Siggy should be shown the door asap, not upto it.

This was picked up on by the 'pundits' a little glimpse into the difference between last seasons midfield and this seasons. Without Allan doing that, that becomes a dangerous play. Gylfi just standing 5 yards off, that's the difference, Allan sees an opportunity to tackle and takes it.
It’s about desire, a will to win and not to give the opponent any sniff of a chance. Basically smothering everything they do and imposing himself on them.
What an example he has set already!

It’s about desire, a will to win and not to give the opponent any sniff of a chance. Basically smothering everything they do and imposing himself on them.
What an example he has set already!
Exactly the difference in attitude and desire is there for all to see in one snippet and Gylfi knows he isn't a shoe in now, his stats say he works hard but he obviously isn't efficient with his work because he's always 5 yards behind the play

Exactly the difference in attitude and desire is there for all to see in one snippet and Gylfi knows he isn't a shoe in now, his stats say he works hard but he obviously isn't efficient with his work because he's always 5 yards behind the play
He can’t hide behind stats when that vid shows he’s not aggressive enough

Status
Not open for further replies.