Alex Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
i remember reading that story before but I was sure it ended in him being hanged for committing the murder, obviously there was a few versions doing the rounds

In the build-up to the 1906 Cup final, the Echo described him as "a variable sort of man who plays one good game in three on average", and whose "determination makes up for a lack of skill at times".

If history repeats itself, I'd bet on Naismith moving to Australia and killing his brother.

Nah mate, a kopite would have shot him in the back as he was running away.

& then nicked his wallet....

I dont know. Look at Young's own words: he said he couldn't remember anything about it. It's the prototype defence for 'I was in me room asleep, lad. No idea, sorry.'

Are they going to reenact it in the family zone on retro day? Probably not, the board don't care a jot for our history

He was mentioned in the Trivia thread a day or two ago. The only Everton player to commit manslaughter besides Araz Abdullayev.

It's a brilliant series this on those who like a bit of football history. Nice to read an Everton one. Sounds like Sandy Young was an amazing player, but not too long after him came Dixie Dean...

Also in 1915 the Liverpool Echo described Young as a "very sombre man" who was "very highly strung" and "had peculiar habits".

So they've always been anti-Everton then?

I like this geeky comeback from the writer in the comment's section:

acg1990: He isnt our No2 goalscorer, Greame Sharp scored more and Bob Latchford is equal to him

simonburnton: Not so: earlier this year historians identified four goals that should have been attributed to Sandy Young but previously were not. He is now recognised as scorer of 114 league goals, three more than Sharp.

3 years seems very reasonable if you were in his shoes.

Moral of the story is don't loan big sums of cash out it'll all end in tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.