2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said himself when at Arsenal he's not a winger. His best game for us was vs West Ham when he played down the middle, persisting with him out wide is a total waste of time.

I really thought he came to challenge / replace Siggy, but what do I know? I know it's turned out so bad, so far, but sometimes you take a chance on a fringe player at another club and it just clicks with a fresh start, and a new club, and a new environment, but that just didn't work out.

When was that? I only really remember him from around 2001 onwards, and he just seemed to have nothing about him.

Only young at the time but I remember Gemmill having an absolutely blinder at home against Charlton in a win by a few goals. Think he did play well overall in the first few months but being a lad growing up supporting Everton in the 90s it didn't take much to leave an impression.

Only young at the time but I remember Gemmill having an absolutely blinder at home against Charlton in a win by a few goals. Think he did play well overall in the first few months but being a lad growing up supporting Everton in the 90s it didn't take much to leave an impression.
I was thinking that I had a vague memory of him scoring a decent goal (maybe even a volley) in a home game under Walter, and so it must have been vs Middlesborough in August 2001.

If I'm recalling correctly, we went into the first international break top of the league after that lol

Not been watching long?

Carl Tiler
Mitch Ward
Glen Keeley
Per Kroldrup
Idan Tal

I’m in no way saying he’s brilliant but he’s a far cry from being as bad as them.
Mate...I'm really shamed for you. We just lost 2 about a month ago. Cuco Martina and Niasse. Those two were the worst 'footballers' I've ever seen in my entire life. And I had to watch the US Women's D1 championship match in a pub with a mate from England who walked out.

The problem is that it's tone-deaf in this environment. A furloughed fan can relate to Kean working his tail off to improve. That same fan cannot relate to Iwobi showing off his blinged-out vacation.

I seem to recall someone saying that Iwobi recently split from his girlfriend. If that's true, I suspect that his intended audience for those posts is not us. However, the choice to make those posts does give us something of a window into his priorities.

I don't think it's appropriate to slag him off on his own page, but I do think it's entirely appropriate for fans to raise concerns about the optics on a forum such as this...so long as it's done in a reasonably civil manner.

The problem is that it's tone-deaf in this environment. A furloughed fan can relate to Kean working his tail off to improve. That same fan cannot relate to Iwobi showing off his blinged-out vacation.

I seem to recall someone saying that Iwobi recently split from his girlfriend. If that's true, I suspect that his intended audience for those posts is not us. However, the choice to make those posts does give us something of a window into his priorities.

I don't think it's appropriate to slag him off on his own page, but I do think it's entirely appropriate for fans to raise concerns about the optics on a forum such as this...so long as it's done in a reasonably civil manner.
You can't get mad at Iwobi for having money and also want Moshiri to poor his billions into the club. If you're mad about the exuberant amount of money in and around football than you need to get mad at the right people and those people are the ones bankrolling the game who have more than 99.9% of people will ever see in 20 lifetimes. Everyone stop this nonsense where we blame millionaires for the sins of billionaires.

I don't mean you specifically but there have been about 10 of these posts a day and it is getting old.

You can't get mad at Iwobi for having money and also want Moshiri to poor his billions into the club. If you're mad about the exuberant amount of money in and around football than you need to get mad at the right people and those people are the ones bankrolling the game who have more than 99.9% of people will ever see in 20 lifetimes. Everyone stop this nonsense where we blame millionaires for the sins of billionaires.

I don't mean you specifically but there have been about 10 of these posts a day and it is getting old.

I feel that youre massively missing the point here. Lets take 3 examples:

Moshiri: Self made billionaire from working his way up as an accountant.

Kean: Slated by fans and national media yet starts training early to get himself fit for the new season and prove hes good enough.

Iwobi: Shocking performances showing a lack of heart and desire culminate in him rewarding himself with a holiday on a jet during a pandemic where others are suffering.

If you watch billions then its the same thing as when Bobby Axelrod was pondering whether the buy the $85mil mansion on the beach. Everyone told him its not a good idea to flaunt his wealth and he did it anyway.

Showing your money makes you a target and thats why wealthy people invest in privacy

I feel that youre massively missing the point here. Lets take 3 examples:

Moshiri: Self made billionaire from working his way up as an accountant.

Kean: Slated by fans and national media yet starts training early to get himself fit for the new season and prove hes good enough.

Iwobi: Shocking performances showing a lack of heart and desire culminate in him rewarding himself with a holiday on a jet during a pandemic where others are suffering.

If you watch billions then its the same thing as when Bobby Axelrod was pondering whether the buy the $85mil mansion on the beach. Everyone told him its not a good idea to flaunt his wealth and he did it anyway.

Showing your money makes you a target and thats why wealthy people invest in privacy
No you're missing the point if you're calling out a millionaire while letting the billionaire who bought a football club for the fun of it off the hook in a crisis. It is no different than the idiots going off on Ozil when everyone got laid off. Kroenke can pay those people and no player is at fault for him deciding not to. Stan Kroenke is. If you're mad about money in sports those are the ones you aim at and never ever the players.

I'll be glad to carry this on in another area of the forum but anyone who is criticizing Iwobi on the basis of his money is either being dumb about who the actual culprits of our current divide between haves and have nots are or being completely self absorbed and only interested in what makes them happy regarding the football club. I don't really care if you're either but just be open about it and don't try to justify with "oh well he didn't play so well."

No you're missing the point if you're calling out a millionaire while letting the billionaire who bought a football club for the fun of it off the hook in a crisis. It is no different than the idiots going off on Ozil when everyone got laid off. Kroenke can pay those people and no player is at fault for him deciding not to. Stan Kroenke is. If you're mad about money in sports those are the ones you aim at and never ever the players.

I'll be glad to carry this on in another area of the forum but anyone who is criticizing Iwobi on the basis of his money is either being dumb about who the actual culprits of our current divide between haves and have nots are or being completely self absorbed and only interested in what makes them happy regarding the football club. I don't really care if you're either but just be open about it and don't try to justify with "oh well he didn't play so well."

He's right your missing the point. Doesn't matter what happens upstairs - they are wealthy without football.

People see the players and relate to them. Once they start showing off they better produce the goods or they'll get rightly slated.

He's right your missing the point. Doesn't matter what happens upstairs - they are wealthy without football.

People see the players and relate to them. Once they start showing off they better produce the goods or they'll get rightly slated.
That's just dumb. Slate them for performances by all means but coming out with "people are struggling he shouldn't show off his wealth" while watching a game that is essentially a billionaire toy room without calling out those people is ridiculous through and through.

Status
Not open for further replies.