2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
....seen the run for the goal from low cameras on the Bullens Rd side.

His marker (Traore) is with him 35 yards from goal but doesn’t track him when he busts a gut to get in the box. He arrives unmarked to score the header. Even at that level, midfield runners who accelerate with purpose lose their markers. A player can make 20 of those runs and be rewarded once, but the top players keep believing.

Yes something we have lacked for years

If Marco doesn't slap a captains armband around this wity skillful all action full personalitied man. I will.

I don't think anyone doubted that he was a decent footballer when we signed him, it was just a lot of money for someone who hadn't stood out in an Arsenal team full of very good players and was a relative unknown of how good he actually is as he'd never really been given the chance to show it with a regular spot in the team. He has certainly started off his Everton career well, exceeded expectations in my opinion
More then a decent start. Cameo against villa saw him strike a post. 2 starts and 2 goals in the next two games.

....seen the run for the goal from low cameras on the Bullens Rd side.

His marker (Traore) is with him 35 yards from goal but doesn’t track him when he busts a gut to get in the box. He arrives unmarked to score the header. Even at that level, midfield runners who accelerate with purpose lose their markers. A player can make 20 of those runs and be rewarded once, but the top players keep believing.

A lot of it is about size and physicality too. I'm a big fan of Bernard, but he doesn't have the size or physicality to do that (I actually think Bernard works hard so can't quibble on that front). We have 2 lads in wide positions now who have the capability, build and desire to score goals. I saw it said elsewhere too that you can see Iwobi wants to score the same as Richarlinson does, and you can't have enough of that sort of player.

There's great variety in the team and it's an added bonus for me he is decent at heading as it was never something he really showed (or probably got the chance to show at Arsenal) and has been a bit of a dying art, but it remains very effective. High quality balls into the box, matched with physical players who want to score will always be hard to defend against.

Don't know why you(forum doomsayers) are surprised, he started for arsenal every week who were good going forward, just crap defensively.

If people didn't judge as either great or crap, maybe you'd appreciate players a bit more.

The only downside currently is that the increased passing into the box comes at a cost of a reduced link up with digne,
The kind we see with Bernard on the pitch.
Hopefully once they get used to playing together we'll see an equal amount of play between digne and iwobi/Bernard

The only downside currently is that the increased passing into the box comes at a cost of a reduced link up with digne,
The kind we see with Bernard on the pitch.
Hopefully once they get used to playing together we'll see an equal amount of play between digne and iwobi/Bernard

Maybe that's a good thing in a way,sometimes we are too reliant on Digne, having Iwobi who has a different skill set from Bernard offers tactical flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.