AJ's Goal drought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latch

Player Valuation: £15m
Just thought of this now, but does anybody else reckon that the 'diving' slurs he had to put up could be the reason why his confidence is so low at the moment, it may well have affected him more than we realize.

Last edited:
(Great post Latch)

I believe at the time it was majorly effecting his game. He seemed to dry up almost immediately after Arsene opened his trap, I'm pretty sure that it's probably effecting his game still. He no longer goes to ground and tries so hard to stay on his feet in situations were most professionals would just hit the dirt faster then anything. Lee Dong Gook on sunday for example.

AJ was singled out because of his low centre of gravity and teams not being able to cope with his work rate, pace and sheer determination to score but now its like he feels he has to stay on his feet at all times which would probably effect him in going about scoring.

The managers that openly critised his "simulation" have the biggest divers in the league.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure it is still bothering him to some extent as well Zero, he may have doubts about going for 50/50 balls in the penalty area for fear of ending up on the floor and the accusations starting again.
From what i've seen of him he no longer makes as many runs into the area like he used to and tends to hold back from going into tackles, and in my opinion he seems to lay on more passes these days rather than go for goal himself, a sign of low confidence maybe?
I have every faith that he will come good eventualy but for now the man is struggling, i'd give my back teeth for him to play on thursday and bag a couple of goals.

AJ has been a playmaker, we have been scoring while he's playing so its not at all bad. I think part of the problem is that maybe there is that the service he's best on jumping on and scoring with are low crosses that are whipped in from the wing. No player on the team, besides Baines, is really adept at this. Arteta loops balls in and Pinnear isn't much of a crosser at all. Neville is alright at this too but he's needed in defence. This was the reason why I thinking DeMarcus Beasley could have been fit on our club because that is the one part of his game that Beasley is really soild at.

Last edited:

Just thought of this now, but does anybody else reckon that the 'diving' slurs he had to put up could be the reason why his confidence is so low at the moment, it may well have affected him more than we realize.

[Poor language removed] evertonians and our conspiracy theories .... lovin your work brother .
lcab ;)

The problem is he is too small and teams have figured that out. That's why it is so important to develop our 'target' players in the box and then lay the ball off to an on-rushing AJ or whoever.

I actually think Latch is spot-on. AJ's entire demeanour changed when the diving garbage was spread last year, and it's not really been the same.

Not sure what the solution is, except when he scores a couple, it should break the cycle and restore his confidence.

I actually think Latch is spot-on. AJ's entire demeanour changed when the diving garbage was spread last year, and it's not really been the same.

Of course it had an effect on him. Imagine if someone blasted your way of playing and started to accuse you of faking things. Anyone will be affected by it.. and if you don't play in a "top"-club the refs will start to believe it as well. (Ronaldo anyone?)

A part of AJ thinks that if he continues to play as he did he will start to hear it again and perhaps even start to get booked for diving. Of course he hesitates a bit in such a situation. He still run alot, but more often to the sides or along the sidelines.. not into the box chasing the same balls.

Hope that will return with the addition of Cahill or Gravesen as an AM. Since we're not playing with an offensive midfielder there is a gap in the middle between Neville/Cars/Jags & our strikers.. easier to send a ball to the sides where Arteta/Osman/Pienaar/whoever runs.

Apparently he's a really nice person, which just adds credence to Blue Wiz's point. If he was an asshole, didn't care what was said about him, had an ego many miles wide, then he'd be......Rooney - errrr, then he'd be less likely to care about the diving slurs.

Good point about Cahill, he does pack an inTIMidation factor as well.

its just one of them things
the good news is the fans aint getting on his back etc.
me thinks it ends v metalist

I tend to agree withn FC to a point. AJ is quite easily bundled off the ball in the area or out. He does not have the weight or the strength to muscle in and take on defenders. Never really seen with the ball and go past players either. His style seems to be that likes space to run after or with the ball but he is not getting that space and sure as hell cannot get up to head a ball.

The other side of this is perhaps with certain players missing he is not getting the service or chances that he can thrive on and turn to the good. I hope he does find his touch and return to scoring ways, one thing for sure he ain't going to score chasing after balls on the wing down to the byline.

Well its alarming that he seems to go long periods of a season without scoring.

And I for one am not impressed with his contributions recently. I don't want to see him on the wing winning throw-ins, I want to see him showing for the ball off the defenders shoulders, that is what he should be doing, ain't gonna score from the wing.

But don't expect any severe criticism because he scored against Liverpool.

Shame, because he's not meeting his hefty price tag.

I could stand the long periods without scoring if he was making assists, so how many goals has he made for others to score?? Anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.