2017/18 Ademola Lookman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolaise got 1 goal and 4 assists in 12 starts (+1 sub app) for us before getting injured, so yes I think he deserves a chance to regain that form (Walcott has 2 goals and 2 assists in 8 games to compare). Lookman might be brilliant but so might Bolaise.

Assist is a meaningless stat.

Walcott's ball for the goal at Burnley got flicked on so he doesn't get the assist for it, despite playing a huge part.

Assist is a meaningless stat.

Walcott's ball for the goal at Burnley got flicked on so he doesn't get the assist for it, despite playing a huge part.
By that logic every stat is meaningless.

It's not black and white (football never is) ill give you that, but definitely not a meaningless stat.

I watched alot of the world cup last Summer and he was very impressive but that was underage football, he's not mentally or physically strong enough to start week in week out for us yet. Until that changes, I think he's a bit of a liability tbh.
There's a massive difference between playing week in week out and being part of a squad, starting certain games when we expect to see a lot of the ball, and being introduced from the bench in others. That's what the lad needs.

The problem with the current management at Everton is that they don't use our young players effectively. Some, like Davies and DCL are getting far too much game time. Others, like Lookman, Vlasic and Baningime are not getting enough. It isn't rocket science.

There's a massive difference between playing week in week out and being part of a squad, starting certain games when we expect to see a lot of the ball, and being introduced from the bench in others. That's what the lad needs.

The problem with the current management at Everton is that they don't use our young players effectively. Some, like Davies and DCL are getting far too much game time. Others, like Lookman, Vlasic and Baningime are not getting enough. It isn't rocket science.

I'd be very happy with him as a squad player coming off the bench or starting in cup games/against promoted teams, and depending on how he plays either increase or decrease the playing time accordingly. He earned that, but that's all he has earned at Everton since joining, picking him based on what he's done for Eng u20/21s is ridiculous.

Also, it was Lookman who forced through the loan away despite being involved in 6/11 of Allardyce's squads before the window closed. Is that not enough?

I'd be very happy with him as a squad player coming off the bench or starting in cup games/against promoted teams, and depending on how he plays either increase or decrease the playing time accordingly. He earned that, but that's all he has earned at Everton since joining, picking him based on what he's done for Eng u20/21s is ridiculous.

Also, it was Lookman who forced through the loan away despite being involved in 6/11 of Allardyce's squads before the window closed. Is that not enough?
Nobody is saying pick him based on what he has done for the u20/21s so that comment is ridiculous. The reference to the U20s was in response to your original question posed which was why is he getting more patience than Bolasie. The point being he has potential if we can develop him, whereas Bolasie is what he is.

I'll say again, at this stage he isn't ready to be a regular starter in the premier, but he does need regular game time at that level if he's to develop. This would involve starting some games but mainly used as an impact player off the bench.

As regards his game time under Allardyce, no I don't think that he was given enough. Those 6/11 squads consisted of one start along with the other kids in the dead rubber in Cyprus, a game in which he excelled by the way. Another 30 minutes in the FA cup game against Liverpool, in which he also excelled. Plus 2 x 20 minute cameos from the bench. There were other games against the likes of West Brom and Bournemouth that were crying our for a player like him when he wasn't even in the bench.

And are you sure he forced through a loan move away?. My understanding was that it was Allardyce who wanted him to go on loan, the player just forced through a move to Germany rather than the Championship. And the way the manager then treated him in the press was nothing short of a disgrace.

This is the problem I have with Lookman, he's very well suited to underage football. Yet to see him 'play consistently well, score a few goals, have a handful of top performances' for an actual full team. He also wasn't willing to stay and fight for his place/is a homesick manchild.

Bolaise was pretty good for us before his injury and I think he deserves until the end of the season to rediscover that form.

And are they that different in playing style? Both like to take on players from wide areas, both have questionable delivery and both are unpredicatable to play against due to being two-footed. Bolaise is more physical and is mentally stronger though.

Ha ha are you for real. Bolasie is a donkey, technically shocking and brain dead. So he can put in the odd decent cross, that’s about it.

Lookman is 20yrs of age, streets ahead of bolasie at the same age, and I would have him in before bolasie now. Will go on to be 3x the player.

I’f we get a fonseca or silva, managers who want technically gifted players, 2 days of watching bolasie roll his foot over the ball and then lose it. Will be enough for them. Should be one of the first players out the door this summer

Bolasie is brain dead but he isn’t technically shocking at all.

Well maybe we see things differently from a technical point of view.
To me it’s someone who keeps the ball well, especially in tight areas. Constantly finds team mates. Is clever in possession, can thread little passes through. One two’s on the edge of the box.

It’s not some who can do 20step over and a few cruyff turns.
All about opinions.

Because lookman isn't a 28odd year old winger that falls over his own legs whilst tryna do the moodiest stepovers goodison has ever seen

l

Bolaise got 1 goal and 4 assists in 12 starts (+1 sub app) for us before getting injured, so yes I think he deserves a chance to regain that form (Walcott has 2 goals and 2 assists in 8 games to compare). Lookman might be brilliant but so might Bolaise.

Mate, if you watched any of the U20 world cup in the summer you wouldn't be asking that question. He was arguably the most skilful player on show in the whole competition, and you have to assume that most of the best players from around the world were there. He has a uniqueness to his game that can win matches. He showed that again in the recent U21 game against Romania, as did Dowell to be fair.

The challenge now is to replicate that skill at the top level, and then to do it more consistently. He's nowhere near that yet but he's only 20 FFS. We need a manager, and a fanbase, that's prepared to be give him time to develop, but the more I read on here about our younger players I'm afraid to say we have neither at the moment sadly.

I watched alot of the world cup last Summer and he was very impressive but that was underage football, he's not mentally or physically strong enough to start week in week out for us yet. Until that changes, I think he's a bit of a liability tbh.

Should be starting next season for us, and it will be an absolute travesty if he leaves.

Nobody is saying pick him based on what he has done for the u20/21s so that comment is ridiculous. The reference to the U20s was in response to your original question posed which was why is he getting more patience than Bolasie. The point being he has potential if we can develop him, whereas Bolasie is what he is.

I'll say again, at this stage he isn't ready to be a regular starter in the premier, but he does need regular game time at that level if he's to develop. This would involve starting some games but mainly used as an impact player off the bench.

As regards his game time under Allardyce, no I don't think that he was given enough. Those 6/11 squads consisted of one start along with the other kids in the dead rubber in Cyprus, a game in which he excelled by the way. Another 30 minutes in the FA cup game against Liverpool, in which he also excelled. Plus 2 x 20 minute cameos from the bench. There were other games against the likes of West Brom and Bournemouth that were crying our for a player like him when he wasn't even in the bench.

And are you sure he forced through a loan move away?. My understanding was that it was Allardyce who wanted him to go on loan, the player just forced through a move to Germany rather than the Championship. And the way the manager then treated him in the press was nothing short of a disgrace.

Lookman should be involved every game either starting or off the bench.

Bolasie should be sold...but who would take him?

Once Sam Lardarse is gone Lookman will be back getting game time again. I don't think we'll sell him although he won't get week in week out games at this moment in his career. A better manager will build him.

I was going by this comment from Allardyce after Lennon left us:

"He [Lookman] wouldn't be available on loan because Aaron Lennon went a few days ago.

"We got a very good deal financially for Aaron so that was acceptable for us. That leaves anyone in that position going out on loan a no-no."

Made me think Lookman hung Allardyce out to dry and left us short on options. Allardyces response was a disgrace though.

I was going by this comment from Allardyce after Lennon left us:

"He [Lookman] wouldn't be available on loan because Aaron Lennon went a few days ago.

"We got a very good deal financially for Aaron so that was acceptable for us. That leaves anyone in that position going out on loan a no-no."

Made me think Lookman hung Allardyce out to dry and left us short on options. Allardyces response was a disgrace though.

Lookman definitely forced his hand with the move.

He needs to play more. Bolasie's injury was a nasty one. I also think Vlasic looked to offer as much on the ball wide, but also looks to get central and influence like a no.10, too.

So for me, yes Lookman back and given some real game time, but it's not like he's our only 'game changer' not getting enough pitch time.

Status
Not open for further replies.