2017/18 Ademola Lookman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about Pep, and Klopp is on a 6 year contract so can afford the luxury of giving a few a chance. Which is good, fair play to him. But the tenor of my point remains sound.
I mention both specifically because they both came here from the German keague where the attutude is different.

Players like Zinchenko Diaz and Foden have all got game time and the likes of Jesus and Sane are barely in their 20s. Ecen Sterling is only 23.

In fairness Klopp and Pep have been known to play youngsters too.

With Klopp it's probably in part cos he's always had to, so it doesn't seem such a big deal to him if he needs to throw in a kid. Of course at Liverpool he doesn't need to much, but here in Dortmund he had a group of teenagers and 20/21 year olds playing week in week out in the same team, cos we had no money to buy many established players, so that's how we progressed and developed.

It think at the top level in England, it is hard though like said in the posts above - cos of the pressures at different ends of the table - either to get CL, or to not get sucked into a relegation fight. And coaches go with what they know, cos there isn't the same level of trust. I guess in germany it is easier for youngsters, cos it is sort of ingrained in how teams are built, most taems always have a solid group of younger players coming through, and coaches (and fans) are very forigiving to the mistakes that invariably come with it.

and coaches (and fans) are very forigiving to the mistakes that invariably come with it.
Good post mate, with this being the most poignant point.

Success, or rather the fear of failure, in this country makes it very difficult for us to take the risks involved with bringing young players through at an early age. They then miss the most important parts of their development, or go through it at a much inferior standard, so they don't get anywhere near their potential.

He's out the door if Sam stay's it is pretty simple, I would build a team around him but I hope he learns that he needs to defend whether you like it or not.

Seems he has blossomed in a more middle of the park role, so that means next years lineup without signing anyone should be

Gana
Gylfi Lookman
Walcott Tosun Onyekuru

Good post mate, with this being the most poignant point.

Success, or rather the fear of failure, in this country makes it very difficult for us to take the risks involved with bringing young players through at an early age. They then miss the most important parts of their development, or go through it at a much inferior standard, so they don't get anywhere near their potential.

It's a very difficult problem that is hard to change.

Cos another thing that helps in Germany is that a lot of these youngsters play for their clubs 2nd teams in the 3rd tier in Germany (the regional leagues), which gives them a good grounding technically and tactically, and also they get to play iin front of decent passionate crowds a lot of the time - not huge crowds of course, but the opponents they meet always have a very vocal support. It all helps them develop. But in the prem, the rerserve or U23 teams playing in a specially constructed league in front of very sparse crowd, and the competition doesn't seem as intense.

It's hard to know what can happen to help younger players develop, but I can understand why a few more may look further afield in the future.

He's out the door if Sam stay's it is pretty simple, I would build a team around him but I hope he learns that he needs to defend whether you like it or not.

..what surprises me is the focus on Allardyce. If the DoF is the ‘overseer’ then he is the bloke who authorises Lookman on loan. He’s also the one who authorises Connolly and Robinson on loan when we didn’t have a back-up LB for Baines, not forgetting Dowell on loan when we had no right sided option for much of this season.

These are decisions that Walsh should determine, don’t forget him when you concentrate on Allardyce.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.