2022/23 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree we need backups, but our new model is clearly going after younger players with potential. That is the sort of backup I would prefer.

Doucoure’s has a year and a half left on his contract and he will be on a big wage. It may make sense to replace him. Apparently we’re looking at Weston Mckennie.
Interesting. Imagine Juventus will need to make some sales after crashing out of CL

Would like to see what he does when he does get an opportunity again, hopefully the competition for places will have motivated him
Motivated him at age 29 to understand positioning without the ball? Or how to find space when your teammates have it? Or how to pass forward?

I'm going with he's probably going to still be really bad. But the good news is we managed to build a real midfield without him relegating us.

I agree we need backups, but our new model is clearly going after younger players with potential. That is the sort of backup I would prefer.

Doucoure’s has a year and a half left on his contract and he will be on a big wage. It may make sense to replace him. Apparently we’re looking at Weston Mckennie.
Lets hope not, hes quite rubbish.

He is an OK player. When on form is very useful, when off form still better than Davies. I would say along with Garner he is an adequate back up. We don't want to fall into the trap of not having back ups like last season
Personally, it'd be naive to move him on before the summer for that very reason.

Doucoure is not very good and will turn 30 in January. If we can find someone stupid enough to buy him, then we should sell him ASAP. He’s very much part of that absolutely crap central midfield that almost got us relegated last season, most of which have been binned off already.

…posters understandably focus on the misplaced passes but Doucoure has always been more about what he does without the ball than with it. He has powers of recovery and get goal side of attackers.

i reckon Lampard sees him as a valuable member of the squad and will take the option on giving him an extra season here. Doucoure has gone from being a regular (I recall posters being dismayed when he was out injured for a spell) to being a bit-part player, which is a sign of how we’ve strengthened in that area of the pitch.

…posters understandably focus on the misplaced passes but Doucoure has always been more about what he does without the ball than with it. He has powers of recovery and get goal side of attackers.

i reckon Lampard sees him as a valuable member of the squad and will take the option on giving him an extra season here. Doucoure has gone from being a regular (I recall posters being dismayed when he was out injured for a spell) to being a bit-part player, which is a sign of how we’ve strengthened in that area of the pitch.
I doubt it, he’s not even first choice substitute and on a hefty wage.

I doubt it, he’s not even first choice substitute and on a hefty wage.

….much depends on the match situation & which player needs replacing. It’s encouraging Lampard is utilising Garner but there will be situations when we are getting overrun when the Manager needs running power on the pitch, especially if Onana isn’t playing.

We need a strong squad with options covered & Doucoure helps that strategy.

If he's only got 18 months left on his contract and he's not in the manager's plans, then selling him in January would seem like a no brainer

If the manager is keen to keep him and it's not going to break the bank to extend the contract for a year or two then I don't see the issue really

I don't think he's amazing or anything like that, but he's a solid squad player for the most part

….much depends on the match situation & which player needs replacing. It’s encouraging Lampard is utilising Garner but there will be situations when we are getting overrun when the Manager needs running power on the pitch, especially if Onana isn’t playing.

We need a strong squad with options covered & Doucoure helps that strategy.
Agree we need strong squad options and cover, I just think Doucoure is too expensive to be a 3rd choice option. We need back up options that offer the chance to change a game positively and effect a result. Doucoure is merely not a bad option in a situation when we need cover. No one thinks “oh good Doucs is coming on”. It’s a shame because at his peak he looked like he could be a great box to box midfielder, sadly he has regressed quicker than Iwobi as progressed.

Agree we need strong squad options and cover, I just think Doucoure is too expensive to be a 3rd choice option. We need back up options that offer the chance to change a game positively and effect a result. Doucoure is merely not a bad option in a situation when we need cover. No one thinks “oh good Doucs is coming on”. It’s a shame because at his peak he looked like he could be a great box to box midfielder, sadly he has regressed quicker than Iwobi as progressed.

Is he too expensive to keep though? Unless he hands in a transfer request, he'll be a due a wedge off us, should we sell him. We'll then likely have to pay a signing fee, agents fee(s) and transfer fee, and wages for any incoming squad replacement. though granted, we would then have another asset.

I believe we have the option of extending his contract by a year. If he's on say, £100k a week, then to keep him around for the next two and a half years, will cost us about £13 million, all in.

Having said all that, I could understand us moving him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.