2020/21 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gomes looked good?

is this the Gomes who literally tried to pass to Richarlison who was over a yard offside when Calvert Lewin was open?
Who repeatedly lost the ball in midfield.

It’s not a knock on Davies, he’s shown huge improvements alongside Doucoure, it allows him to play a little.

But Gomes, was absolutely not good. Does one thing wrong followed by 3-4 dire things. Central midfielders should be able to pass a ball more than 10 yards.
He put a trough ball to Rhico twice and twice Rhico messed up all be it once offside ......Sig never threaded any balls through....

He put a trough ball to Rhico twice and twice Rhico messed up all be it once offside ......Sig never threaded any balls through....

SIgurdsson, i've been consistent with for a long time. I detest the bloke, but equally, I don't like Gomes, I thought he was poor even before the injury, and now he's lost even more pace.

Happy to keep Davies around, but he needs the midfield to at least help him out, which Gomes and Sigurdsson never do. We just won't ever go anywhere with fodder like Sigurdsson or Gomes.

SIgurdsson, i've been consistent with for a long time. I detest the bloke, but equally, I don't like Gomes, I thought he was poor even before the injury, and now he's lost even more pace.

Happy to keep Davies around, but he needs the midfield to at least help him out, which Gomes and Sigurdsson never do. We just won't ever go anywhere with fodder like Sigurdsson or Gomes.
Agreed our midfield needs a major overhauling no pace at all .....

Yesterday was a perfect example of what we're doing wrong, and what we should be doing.

We've got no pace, and seemingly struggle to go at defences with any urgency, especially when they're making mistakes like Palace where.

Then West Ham played, and they had pace, and urgency and willingness to actually want to win. They're not necessarily better players, but they've got more desire to win. There's no hunger in midfield without Allan or Doucouré and we need that to compete.

So agreed again. Sigurdsson and Gomes need to depart.

Post this after every bad result (feels like every week), but big middle finger to the lads who were moaning at his passing.

He covers so much ground and does so much work, that he’s easily been the best signing we’ve made.

We’ve genuinely got a great midfield with Allan, James and Allan, but lack width, and with two of them out, we’ve got Gomes and Sigurdsson alongside Davies and we’re never progressing with those three.
Assuming you mean Doucoure too, I just can't agree with that. We got completely overrun in games with them in there too. Leeds at home our midfield was absolutely massacred, Kalvin Phillips totally ran the game and we didn't lay a glove on him. Burnley away, second half at Fulham etc were the same. We're falling into the trap of remembering only the good things and making out like things would be totally different with Allan and Doucoure in the side when the evidence of that is pretty sparse.

Assuming you mean Doucoure too, I just can't agree with that. We got completely overrun in games with them in there too. Leeds at home our midfield was absolutely massacred, Kalvin Phillips totally ran the game and we didn't lay a glove on him. Burnley away, second half at Fulham etc were the same. We're falling into the trap of remembering only the good things and making out like things would be totally different with Allan and Doucoure in the side when the evidence of that is pretty sparse.
We have lacked intensity for a large number of games and in some were we got results rode our luck. Maybe Ancelotti should leave them to DF for a few training sessions a week.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. We have great midfield players in Doucouré, Allan and James. But we still lack that cutting edge, for me.
Davies is fine as a squad player, but we need someone who can pull the strings in the centre of the park, to allow the other players to focus on what they're good at.

I understand your sentiments though, entirely. But it's that knock on effect, and what it does to our midfield. Gomes and Sigurdsson's lack of anything causes more issues than what they're worth, and we need that extra midfielder, just with that class, who can change a game, just like that.

Allan is great at breaking the play up, Doucouré fantastic wth his workrate, we just need that something more in the middle if we want to push on.

A decent midfield is essential for European football.
It'll be a miracle if we make Europe with this midfield, Sig, Gomes, Iwobi, Bernard all got to go..

If you've got Doucs, Allan, Davies and Coleman and James up the right you've got something. But they will never carry a team through a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.