A view from the Opposition - Baggies fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome mate, good to have you here. See below.

1. What were your thoughts on your season last year?
Par for the course with what we've got. Pisses us off having a sh*te start to the season every year but then we finished it playing some of the best football under Moyes.
2. What were your thoughts on our season last year?
You were fits and starts. Thought you were poor when we played you twice which surprised me a bit.
3. What are your thoughts on our appointment of Steve Clarke as head coach?
Not sure to be honest. He looks like a smackhead Jimmy Carr. He's done well as a number 2 supposedly but then Colin Harvey was boss for us and it didn't translate. You've started well like so hopefully that continues.
4. What are you expecting from Everton this season?
To finish in the top eight, hopefully in a European position. To have a go at one of the cups without sh*tting ourselves in the semi.
5. What are you expecting from WBA this season?
Top ten or something. I'd love you to stop that boing boing stuff as it makes you look like bells.
6. Favourite memories against WBA?
A couple like. When we were ace in the mid eighties and then Saha raping you a couple of years ago.
7. Worst memories against WBA?
Having to endure your fans trying to be zany and "banter" on numerous occasions. Cut that stuff out please mate. Oh and when you tonked us a year or two ago four one. Fair play, by far the better team.
8. Team you expect David Moyes to put out?
Howard, Neville, Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Gibson, Osman, Fellaini, Jelavic, Naismith, Pienaar.
9. Player you fear the most in our side?
The big Belgian grock you've just bought from Chelsea looks like a handful.
10. Finally, score predictions?
One all perhaps.

You're one of the more preferable clubs from the cultural void that is the Midlands so don't mind seeing you do well mate. Good luck after this game.

Some of the worst football/atmospheres i've experienced at Goodison for the first half, superb transfer dealings in January and a fantastic climb from there, Anfield/Wembley losses still unforgivable though.

Looked like a really decent consolidation season again, 10th a great position and the highest you've had in the Premier League so far?

Honestly I don't know much about him, but the 4 points you've gathered so far shows a really great start.

A cup win, it's not much to ask for a club who built their foundations on winning the bloody things...pessimistic about getting into Europe but we've started 100 times better than I could've ever imagined so who knows!

Bit more of a showing in the cups, anywhere from 11th to 8th if you keep this momentum up.

Not many, watching you stuff us 1-4 at Goodison in 2010 was horrible...the late late Neville winner in the cup game last year made it worthwhile, it was a total screamer.

The aforementioned 1-4, or the 0-1 at the Hawthornes on New Years Day, despite the 3 points it was one of the worst games of football i've ever witnessed.

No deviation from what we've seen so far, injuries permitting...possible starting berth for Mirallas.

Odemwinge when he fancies it, Brunt has great delivery, Morrison usually comes up with a 30 yarder, Lukaku has looked fantastic too...everytime I saw that Tchoyi he looked a player but I believe he's gone now?

Score draw or an Everton win.

I remember when WBA had the No Smoking sign as their kit sponsor. I think big Cyril played for them at the time 80s I think

1. depressingly familiar, but when Pienaar returned we played some great stuff, loved having heitinger at the back bringing the ball out, bottling all 3 derbies isnt good enough though

2. Solid season for you, giving a good platform to build.

3. Has a good rep as a coach, is needlessly ugly, the juries out, but snotting that horrible lot on the opening day was superb.

4. Top 6, and a real crack at top 4, to keep a positive style for an entire season, and not fill our kecks at the thought of winning a derby.

5. Another solid mid table effort, and to have that bulb adrian chiles chirping in with his pointless comments

6. Snotting the red lot 3 nil

7. Snotting us 4-1!

8. Same as against Villa, maybe the Belgian kid might come in for Naismith if hes settled in ok.

9. Lukaku

10. If we carry our form from the last two games we can win 2-1

I remember when WBA had the No Smoking sign as their kit sponsor. I think big Cyril played for them at the time 80s I think

west%20brom%20smoking-thumb-180x185.jpg

I wonder who paid for that sponsorship - the government?

Hi, as a moderator on westbrom.com we usually run a view from the opposition in the build up to our game against you on Saturday. I was wondering whether you would be so kind enough to answer the questions I shall provide and I'll post the finished article later to you this week.

I must apologies to the site admin If I need permission, or if this has been placed on the wrong board.

I would also like to thank you for smashing Aston Vile on Saturday, and I wish you all a very safe journey to The Hawthorns on Saturday.

1) If I told you I didn't want to talk about last year because it would change my current feel good factor about Everton, would you understand?

2) I thought you finished the season very well, which was a fitting send off for Hodgson who is a good man regardless of what the Kopites think. If I recall correctly, you had an awful Christmas period and I remember thinking you could have been sucked into the relegation battle at the time. I thought the same about Everton around the same period, actually.

3) I think you've made a shrewd employment with Steve Clarke. He's an experienced man who has coached and played with some great players. He'll be hungry to impress in his first managerial role and won't give up his opportunity without having had a good crack at it first. The early signs seem to be he's enjoying himself which speaks volumes for West Brom.

4) Expectations are raised right now due to the fact we've turned up for the start of a season for the first time in years. That said, I'm not deluded enough to think we'll go through the entire season unbeaten. There will be low points at some stage, that's a guarantee when you're an Evertonian. In general, I expect us to be much more consistent against the teams we should be beating this season, and as much as I hate to tell you, I consider West Brom to be among those. If Everton prove they can do that until at least 10 games into the season, I'll start thinking about European football again.

5) I think if Steve Clarke brings his experience with him to West Brom, and you utilize the attacking threats you have, you could finish inside the top half. I don't think you'll push for a European finish, but don't let that stop you from aiming high as a supporter.

6) The extra time win in the League Cup last year stands out, mainly because Phil Neville scored and it's hard to forget the games he scores in. Coincidentally, he scored a stunner against Wolves too. I don't think he likes the Black Country.

There's also the 2-2 at Goodison a few years back when we were 2-0 down with 10 minutes left and Duncan Ferguson scored an equaliser in injury time. I couldn't control myself that day, even though it was only a point.

7) The 4-1 defeat at Goodison was hard to take. Not just because of the scoreline but because we were completely outplayed. I remember a 4-0 defeat at the Hawthorns a few years back too which was a particularly bad experience.

8) Howard; Hibbert, Jagielka, Distin, Baines; Naismith, Gibson, Neville, Osman, Pienaar, Fellaini; Jelavic.

A lot depends on our XI v Leyton Orient in midweek, though.

9) I'm surprised you've only said player, I think there's a few players to be fearful of in your team. I rate James Morrison very highly and he seems to have started the season well with a goal and assist already. If he's allowed to dictate the game, he's capable of punishing teams, not to forget he can strike a ball too. Chris Brunt's ability from set pieces is something we know all too well about from experience. If Odemwingie is fit and ready, he's a proven Premier League striker. Mulumbu takes no prisoners in the middle and I know about Ridgewell's ability to get forward from left back too.

Oh, and how could I forget Lukaku? The man who put Carragher on his arse. As you can probably expect, we love our Belgians on GOT and Lukaku is no exception. I hope Clarke doesn't decide his first start for West Brom should be against us because he's looked like a man on a mission in his cameo appearances for West Brom so far. I can definitely see "Lukaku scores his first goal for West Brom" as a headline after the game.

10) I'm going for score draw. No word of a lie, I think you'll provide a tougher test than Manchester United did. I also think you'll provide a tougher test than our next home game against Newcastle. We must not forget that we aren't the only confident team in the country right now and West Brom will be ready for us.

I would also like to add that West Brom supporters must be the only supporters that **** themselves when they see the sight of Victor Anichebe. How many goals does he have against you now? Der der der Victor Anichebe!

Average, the only saving grace was finishing above Liverpool.

Roy Hodgson proved himself a very good manager, things sorta dipped down after March but you still had a good season.

Interesting, it's a gamble - but early signs are showing it's a well taken gamble.

My heart says top-4, but my head says anything over 9th.

A good strong place around 10th.

Your win against Liverpool this season, fantastic.

When you signed Kevin Campbell from us.

Howard, Neville, Distin, Jagielka, Baines, Fellaini, Gibson, Naismith, Osman, Pienaar, Jelavic.

James Morrison always looks like he can do something.

2-1 - either way.

Nothing to add to what's been said really. Just typical.
I think finishing top half is a very decent achievement for WBA. Wouldn't say punching above your weight, but certainly fulfilling your potential as a side, at least. Some great wins to boot. No prizes for guessing which we enjoyed most.
I think he'll do a good job. He's an old head and he knows his stuff, like Hodgson. Worked with some top managers in his time and will have plenty of nous to bring to the party. Good, solid appointment.
Based on the signings we've made and the probable addition/s to come, I'd expect us to edge out Newcastle and Liverpool this year and get 6th. I do think we've got everything in our locker to aim higher bar numbers, though.
More of the same. You've kept your squad together very well and I after watching you in the first game I think signings like Lukaku will let you at least push the likes of Fulham and Sunderland very hard and finish (probably) in the top 10 again, or certainly top 12. The top 8 looks sewn up at the minute, so yourselves, Sunderland, Fulham and Swansea will make up the mid-table group, imo.
Dunc's last goal. Gwladys St. End - beautiful moment.
4-0 in 2005(?) Ellington hat-trick. With the 4-1 very, very hot on it's heels.
Same as Villa, I'd wager.
I really like what I've seen from Mulumbu for a good while now. He's a quality player. Lukaku, if he starts, too.
Going to go for 2-1 Everton or a score draw.

Pretty content - just the usual curate's egg - obviously the 2nd half made it seem much better.

Pleasantly surprised - played well enough & improved on the season before.

A little surprised - had done well in the number 2 role before (tho not at Liverpool!). Good start tho.

Top 4-5 - can see others faltering but expecting an improvement

About 9th-11th I expect.

Err - not enough to be honest - we've won a few, lost a few. It would have to be the 4-1 win in the run up to winning the title in 1985 (I was too young to go to the same game in 1970 when we won the league)

Has to be the 4-0 loss in 2005 which I went to. We were dreadful that day - although I do remember the ref was exceptionally generous to the Baggies (I suspect he needn't have been tho!) - I know we we're pretty poor in that 1-4 loss but Mr. Mason kind of lost control of the situation & we weren't that bad (and still in the game) until the last 20 minutes when the 10 men tired - to be fair West Brom played well that day with a couple of decent early goals. Not even close to the awfulness of that 4-0 loss it has to be said.

The usual line-up - Mira11as on the bench I think is most likely.

Usually PO, maybe Lukaku

Something like 2-1 Everton - although 1-1 might be a reasonable call given the Baggies
decent start. A 1-1 at WHL with a late goal will have boosted your confidence. The other result you've had was entirely merited (and not that special really (ha ha!- thanks btw))

Season in, season out; poor start, strong finish
Hodgson came in and steadied the ship, some good performances against the 'elite'. Could have finished higher
Red****e(n)
Hopefully finish 5th. Better run in the FA Cup
Top ten finish or thereabouts
Last season and Saha tearing yous a new one in his first season with us. When yous dressed up as vikings for Thomas Gaardsoe a few years ago!
The drubbing you gave us at home in 2010/2011
Howard, Neville, Baines, Distin, Heitinga, Gibson, Osman, Fellaini, Pienaar, Mirallas, Jelavic
Lukaku. Chris Brunt, he's got a shot in him hasn't he?! He can play some good football too
2-1 Everton IF we show up

1. Season obviously got better as time went on and with the new signings made for a very enjoyable end to the season
2. Thought you did well last season, comfortably avoided relegation which had to be your aim at the start of the season
3. So far so good, two decent results this season
4. Hopefully now we have the start build on it, if the season started in January we would be 3rd, unbeaten since March (11 games) so keep consistency all season and get into Europe
5. Easily avoid relegation, finish mid table to upper mid table
6. Seeing you avoid relegation in 2005, best pitch invasion ever!
7. you beating us 4-1 at our place. The trains from Manchester where i live were cancelled that day so i paid £60 for a taxi to the ground, arrived late just as you went 1-0 up, the day just got worse and worse from then on
8. Same as last week i would imagine although mirallas could come in for naismith
9. I wouldnt say so much an individual but the unit as a whole, well organised and with many players capable of scoring screamers
10. Think we will win, confidence is high... 2-1 or 1-0 Everton

Cheers fellas, very much appreciated.

Bainesontoast - Loving the name! Fortunately, those headlines of Lukaku scores first West Brom goal won't appear because he managed to grab his first in the demolition of the second best team on Merseyside two weeks ago. I just hope Saturdays encounter is much more interesting than our 'game' on new years day which was quite frankly pathetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.