• Tim Cahill - always nicked a goal

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Alex Nyarko - show these biffs some desire

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Nyarko? Midfield General?

In what bizarro parallel universe was he a midfield general? Even against this list of fair to middling players you couldn't make a case for him.

Not impressed with this poll. Having said that, I did like some of those players and they'd get in ahead of the current squad.

I agree. Wot ! No Holy Trinity or Brace/Sheeds/Steven and of course Reidy ???

Alex Nyarko? Midfield General?

In what bizarro parallel universe was he a midfield general? Even against this list of fair to middling players you couldn't make a case for him.

Not impressed with this poll. Having said that, I did like some of those players and they'd get in ahead of the current squad.
I don’t know who’s trolling who here! I assumed that folk would get that Nyarko was obviously in for Bantz!

As I said in the post, I went for ‘recents’. Does actually reflect why we’ve been where we’ve been for the last 25 years tbf

Not really. Most of your list are good players individually, some overrated...perhaps its just that the rest of a lot of the sides they played in weren't !! None are in the same league as the overlooked midfielders some of us have mentioned given there was no timescale on the poll.

Not really. Most of your list are good players individually, some overrated...perhaps its just that the rest of a lot of the sides they played in weren't !! None are in the same league as the overlooked midfielders some of us have mentioned given there was no timescale on the poll.

They weren’t ‘overlooked’, just not considered ‘recent’. Next time I’ll stipulate dates. Oh and I do consider them to be good players.. obviously.. that’s why I named them. Barkley and Nyarko were attempted wit (failed) the others were some of the best over the past 25 years imo. Barry Horne didn’t get a vote but he won the FA cup and scored 2 against Wimbledon to keep us up so I thought worthy of mention. Bracewell, Reid etc are of course worthy of a place but I only jotted it down on the train for a bit of light relief tbh

There's one or two on here that are firmly of belief Mo Besic is the midfield general Everton is crying out for. Mo is world class, no doubt about that (just ask Messi what the inside of Mo's pocket looks like).
I will enjoy watching him fulfill his destiny at mighty Middlesbro

Where's the Phil Neville option, surely he wins on points? Being thankful for a top ten finish is what it's all about.
Lurch-addams-family-6160640-456-480.jpg

The term 'midfield general' was invented for Peter Reid. No other Everton midfielder since has been worthy of the tag.

On the pitch, Reidy kept everyone disciplined. He pushed and pulled players to keep the team in shape. You would often see him rollicking team-mates and leading by example. He was simply boss.

Thanks CS for posting this, just watched it and you really do almost forget how good a player he was, just like Andy Gray we got him on the cheap because he thought to be a crock, along with Seamus and Andy Gray he must rate as one of our best value buys and he goes to show also what a manager Howard was to spot such talent at knockdown prices.

This by the way ... what a player

Gary Speed, followed by Mikel Arteta but like others have stated, much better options in times previous.

Status
Not open for further replies.