6 + 2 Point Deductions

Nope, we won't get 50+ points which would give us a chance. 55 I reckon we'd be safe. We're on 27 now. It would be a monumental effort.
We’d only need one more point than we got from the first round of fixtures and we already got one from Villa and wolves which we got none from first time round so we’re on track 🤣

I do agree though, I think we all feel we overachieved first half of the season for the team we have

Old esk is spot on with his summary of IAS 23 and capitalising borrowing costs but I can’t believe the premier league hasn’t factored that into their calcs. They’d be a complete laughing stock if that was the case as toffees would have no case to answer.
But it depends what the interest relates to. If it was for constructing long lived assets then fine BUT if it's for borrowing to meet operating costs then it's not fine.

They are bringing up Johnson as a mitigating factor thereby looking for a lighter penalty.
They deliberately and knowingly breached in order to get a higher price later in the window. Correct decision for the club finances for sure. But for PSR it’s deliberate breach with sporting advantage (he played for them and by breaching they received more transfer money, thus improving the playing squad this year). Either way it’s bollocks, but that is a worse crime than us in the eyes of PSR because it was deliberate rather than incompetent. Madness.

But it depends what the interest relates to. If it was for constructing long lived assets then fine BUT if it's for borrowing to meet operating costs then it's not fine.
Even if the interest payments were allowed and the transfer levy we still failed PSR.

At the pre-trial review on 4 October 2023 both parties were given permission
to amend their pleaded cases. In its Amended Answer Everton admitted it
had abandoned its claim to be entitled to many of the additional exclusions
that it had advanced in its PSR calculation, and accepted that it had exceeded
the PSR threshold. Maintaining its entitlement to exclude the Transfer Levy
and the pre-planning stadium interest adjustment, Everton argued that its
breach of the PSR threshold was £7.9 million. It further maintained that it
was entitled to substantial mitigation.

Kieran Maguire tweeted over the weekend: “If Premier League PSR limits had risen in line with football inflation since 2013 (here I’m using wages but revenues are similar) clubs could lose up to £218 million over three years. Non-adjustment of limits is similar to fiscal drag when government doesn’t raise tax thresholds.”

They deliberately and knowingly breached in order to get a higher price later in the window. Correct decision for the club finances for sure. But for PSR it’s deliberate breach with sporting advantage (he played for them and by breaching they received more transfer money, thus improving the playing squad this year). Either way it’s bollocks, but that is a worse crime than us in the eyes of PSR because it was deliberate rather than incompetent. Madness.
I agree with you there is no way it will be allowed a precedent has already been set with Richarlison.

Evening pal, how you processing all of this, you well?

All good a Chara, hope alls good your end.

My read is, the club got nailed on the charge in March, we were over arrogant and thought we could explain it away at the commission, made no allowance for it during the end of the financial year 22/23 in our calculations- so essentially carried over the breach and we’re getting nailed again for it.

There is loads of fault to go around here, PL - no one saw a -10 unprecedented points deduction in their wildest dreams for essentially what is an argument over an accounting allocation of an interest payment - even more Stupid is we are being charged again for the same failing.

The club was arrogant not to take the charge into account for its 22/23 calculation, they can’t say they weren’t warned the charge came in March.

Where do we go from here, the outcome of both charges rest on the appeal in my opinion, one result will dictate the other.

The PL have fkd the league, essentially there will be no sporting outcome to the relegation battle this season, no last day drama, the outcome of the league this season will be decided by old men in suits sometime in May - death knell for the league, it’s not sport anymore.

Think Forrest are also Fd, as far as I can see their breach is far more serious then ours as it influences a sporting outcome. Be amazed if they aren’t nailed by 10 or more points.

All hinges on the appeal for me and absolutely no point speculating because the whole thing is being made up by the PL as they go along, absolutely no due process or guidance.

Last edited:
When is the 1st appeal scheduled for ?
Not even been scheduled apparently. Can’t do the new charge until the appeal has been held.

An absolute mess delivered by a cartel of numpties unwilling to let go of their gravy train with the panic of independent governance from number ten.

Absolute car crash of a situation for the PL. They might have hoped time would subside the optics from the first charge but this has put fuel on the fire especially with other clubs being discussed as at risk of breaches.

This is the beginning of the end not just for EFC but we will likely (indirectly) bring the shambles of Premier League Sports Entertainment down with us

Kieran Maguire tweeted over the weekend: “If Premier League PSR limits had risen in line with football inflation since 2013 (here I’m using wages but revenues are similar) clubs could lose up to £218 million over three years. Non-adjustment of limits is similar to fiscal drag when government doesn’t raise tax thresholds.”
The point is that was a deliberate decision made in an attempt to wean clubs off relying on rich owners to prop them up.