4-4-2 Under Dyche - is this the Answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
4-4-2 Would work if we had more than DCL as the target. Wasn't it always a tall geezer with a mean header next to a skilful footworker back in the old days? Other than the backpass rule in 92, I can't see why that had to change

He played at RB occasionally. Less than LB.
Yeah, he probably prefers the left, but I recall him actually being slightly better on the right when he played in that Ancelotti system when we still had Digne. He’s good enough defensively to play either side and fast enough to cover the ground. If we’re moving to a ‘rigid hard to beat’ system he’s definitely a shout in that position

Think we'll start to see more of Gray on the right and McNeil on the left. Get the impression from him that he likes to use his wide players more like 'traditional' wingers.

4-4-2 Would work if we had more than Dominic Calvert-Lewin as the target. Wasn't it always a tall geezer with a mean header next to a skilful footworker back in the old days? Other than the backpass rule in 92, I can't see why that had to change

That's why I reckon Simms might start getting a chance.

Yeah, he probably prefers the left, but I recall him actually being slightly better on the right when he played in that Ancelotti system when we still had Digne. He’s good enough defensively to play either side and fast enough to cover the ground. If we’re moving to a ‘rigid hard to beat’ system he’s definitely a shout in that position
The reason I put Myko in the line-up instead of Patterson is because Mkykolenko had made less defensive error than Patterson.

I'm no traditionalist, particularly, and I haven't been clamouring for the formation or the manager - but I wonder if the combination of Dyche and the players we have available means that 4-4-2 is going to click.

It's his preferred formation. He plays it in a simple, teachable way - and we have players that have played it under him.

I have also been wanting to see Maupay and Dominic Calvert-Lewin given a go as a pairing. I'm convinced it'll bring Maupay into the game more, and allow him to get on the scoresheet.

Maybe this is just my coping mechanisms firing into life, but I think this whole mess could work out with something as simple as Dyche's 4-4-2.
Think it can work but we are so gash down the flanks. Basically if we want to stay in this league we need to concede hardly any goals till the end of the season, scrape draws and pick up some low scoring wins. I think he's the best man to do that, think he was brought in for that purpose, board knowing they weren't investing a $ in the squad in January.

The last time Frank Lampard was sacked, he was sacked with 6 days left of the January window with Chelsea in 8th having won 3 in 10. The manager they brought in made no signings, instead sorting: (1) the defence; (2) the set pieces; (3) the coaching set up.

They went on to finish 4th, win the Champions League, and lose an FA Cup final to a Youri Tielemans 35 yard wonder goal. The top scorer for them in that season had 7 goals (Jorginho from pens) - they played boring, but effective football.

Folks are underestimating (1) how bad the coaching set up has been under Lampard; (2) how much better of a coach Sean Dyche is; (3) the quality of the squad overall if it is actually coached effectively. It's still a bad squad - but it's not 20th bad.

No forward brought in to replace Gordon is criminally negligent, no doubt about it. As is giving our new manager the league leaders followed by the Anfield derby for his first two games; it will get worse before it gets better.

But we will stay up - it'll be even tighter than last year, but Dyche will keep us up with the backing of the fans.

Think we'll start to see more of Gray on the right and McNeil on the left. Get the impression from him that he likes to use his wide players more like 'traditional' wingers.

That's why I reckon Simms might start getting a chance.

Yep i think we might see some changes in terms of where McNeill Iwobi Gray and Maupay play.

We might see Maupay alongside Calvert Lewin a lot more than we did under Lampard, or maybe just behind him. I wouldn’t be against this because his link up play is there and he’s more effective as a second striker finding space in the box.

People have a bizarre aversion to Iwobi playing on the flanks. At one point he was playing CL football in that position under Wenger do whilst I’m sure the tacticians of GOT know better, I’m pretty certain Iwobi could play left or right. I think Dyche will put him back out there as we’re short on the flanks now with Gordon leaving.

The one thing I am looking forward to is seeing a better balance in midfield. Onana Garney Gueye Doucoure, there’s enough tools there to find a competent pairing to just sit deep and launch attacks.

It all really depends on Calvert Lewin staying fit. Any tactical plan we have pretty much relies on him.

That good defensive run with had under Carlo (after a dip in form around Dec 2020) Godfrey was at left back and did well (defensively that is). I'd play him there for the time being, we could do with his pace right now and he can keep close to Saka/Salah in next 2 games.

The answer, as proposed by a previous thread, is a nuclear apocalypse. We can play 3 at the back, a diamond in midfield with a deep pivot, a wildcat formation, a pincer movement, none of it will matter. Only total atomisation will solve our problems

2 RB’s, 6 CB’s, 2 LB’s

5 defensive minded midfielders

…whether any of the players are any good are debatable but it’s enough to give hope that Dyche can figure it out defensively.

DCL, Maupay, Iwobi, Gray might just be enough to score one every 90mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.