4-4-2 Under Dyche - is this the Answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That surprised me to see it that high. I’d not stopped to think about it.

You can also pretty much loop Iwobi and Coleman in, too, as Iwobi has lived here since he was 4, and there’s not a million miles of difference between British and Irish players in terms of language or culture.
Yeah the home grown and second nationality of certain players is another thing. Plus I didn’t want to get into the British and Irish thing, so just counted those that have ;English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish Listed, as British

Looking at it they had 23 players out of 32 that were British, when he left. But many of those were free transfers, cheap deals or came through the youth system. The fact still remains that he has signed players of many different nationalities through the years at Burnley. You have to look at the club overall, their scouting network and budget.

Our squad currently has 22 British players out of 32, so not actually that different.

In his last season, a few foreign players joined as Alan Pace had more say in transfer dealings. Before the takeover by Alk Capital, it was even less. The fact that he never developed a European scouting network in his 10 years at turf moor says more about his preferences than anything else.

Due to our lack of options I'd play Holgate at right back and Godfrey at let back.
Sounds like a dance routine
starring Holgate the grissled gunslinger and Godrey the curly head freak....if only

Thats the death of an attack right there.
Surely Iwobi will have to be brought back to cover; it might work if Garner holds for Onana well.
Which means finding a winger who can play ten, not just try and dribble to 10
the winger in front if good enough should be able not only to offer different options, he could dictate the way Iwob, Garner, and Onana play.

THe other side is the problem with Gana, not a maker of play and nobody to be creative outside. Dyche may get more out of McNeill (forward or back) but he'll know he'll need more from the position.

You are not allowed to play Iwobi out wide.

Apparently its unreasonable to expect him to play football if hes not in a perfect position on the pitch.

@TheBigIguana
You can do it but he's going to be awful. We all know this.

It is weird though that positions don't matter for him. Why don't we put Tarkowski wide right and see how that goes?

You are not allowed to play Iwobi out wide.

Apparently its unreasonable to expect him to play football if hes not in a perfect position on the pitch.

@TheBigIguana

We do lose some of his good forward passing ability when he's on the right. But he's comfortable on the balls, selfless, quick enough and he works hard which is why Dunc, Lampard and no doubt Dyche will have him out on the right.

We do lose some of his good forward passing ability when he's on the right. But he's comfortable on the balls, selfless, quick enough and he works hard which is why Dunc, Lampard and no doubt Dyche will have him out on the right.
I always think he looks better on the right personally.

Given his history and recent interview 442 or 4411 looks like his favoured formations.

We are going to need these lads back ASAP to fill the squad and we are going to need the older heads like Townsend and Coleman to rally the lads.

PlayerInjuryScheduled Return
Andros TownsendKnee (ACL)February
Nathan PattersonKnee (Medial)Mid-February
James GarnerBackEarly February
Ben GodfreyKnee sprainEarly February

Simple tactics which the players understand would be a start. They've looked like a bunch of strangers for the last few months. Pickford in goal, Coleman, Coady, Tarkowski and Mykolenko at the back, McNeil, Davies, Onana and Iwobi in the middle, DCL and a willing runner up front (probably Gray but he'll need to work harder as will DCL).

I know people will baulk at Davies but I think he could work under Dyche, certainly more than Doucoure, Gana's legs have gone. Maybe Garner can play there when fit, but I haven't seen enough of him to know.

Will be interesting now to see how married Dyche is to a system v his willingness to mould things around what we have.

With 6 CBs and 6 CMs but only 2 fit wingers (yes Iwobi could I guess be a winger again) and 3 strikers (one of whom is a major fitness concern, one of whom had barely played in the PL) it’s difficult just in terms of bodies in the right places to play 442.

Lends itself more to a 532 / 541 but I guess we will see soon enough what Dyche has in mind. I don’t think we should assume 442 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.