• Then

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Now

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipp blue

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
The one and only time we finished in the top 4, how do you think that squad compares to todays? Back then we finished on 61 points and negative GD -1, due to the fact that in a few of our losses we shipped 4+ goals.
Our squad then

Our squad now

Not an option in this thread.
Joking mate. Of course the Moyes side and that achievement dwarfs anything we did since. And would most certainly beat this team one nil even on its best day circa the start of this season.

This side has better players.

The players from 04/05 had heart and belief, and fought for their cause. Back then we had Carsley and Gravesen running the midfield, making it hard for teams to break us down, now we’ve got Davies, Gomes and Sigurdsson, who simply don’t have the same drive in them (naturally 10x more gifted).

The likes of Kilbane, would just run, and run and try to persevere, we’ve got Iwobi hitting the first man and jogging back.

We brought in Cahill, Arteta and Bent for a combined £4.45m which absolutely transformed the team.

That said, I’m fully of the belief that we’re making turning a tide and clearing the deadwood. I think this side will eventually start to resonate the initial Martinez side.

Odds on to go down that season, and we just played with no pressure, and dug in deep. I think the game I enjoyed most that season was the 3-2 against a very decent Bolton side.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think many of the Moyes era squad had won a major trophy (Stubbs at Celtic?), had played 1st team games for an elite European club (Barca, Bayern) or were star men at a world cup.

And yet I still think they'd snide their way to a 1-0 win at Goodison against the current bunch.

I always laugh looking that we reached top 4 with Marcus Bent up front, Football is crazy.

We have better players and a better manager now, and if I’m honest I always thought 04/05 was an anomaly. If you exist in the league for long enough you’re going to have a good season sooner or later

Cahill Carsley and Gravesen as they were playing then would walk into this squad. So much aggression tenacity and drive, and they could all play, exactly what the current team needs. We then brought Arteta in in January who would also waltz into this team. Nigel Martyn is also head and shoulders above any keeper we’ve had since him.

Add Martyn and those midifelders to the current squad and we’d probably be top 4 this season.

Only side to amass that amount of points and not get champions league football since top 4 were placed in the competition.

Man United finished 4th with 70 points the following season.

EVerToN ThAT
We are a cursed club it's not even up for debate the amount of crap we've suffered.

Only side to amass that amount of points and not get champions league football since top 4 were placed in the competition.

Man United finished 4th with 70 points the following season.

EVerToN ThAT
Even when we finished 4th there was a strong debate to have it taken away because RS won the champions league.

Status
Not open for further replies.