Better side?

• Then

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Now

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only side to amass that amount of points and not get champions league football since top 4 were placed in the competition.

Man United finished 4th with 70 points the following season.

EVerToN ThAT
Spurs did the same in 12/13

I'd take Martyn, Cahill, Arteta, Carsley, Bent and Ferguson...for games Vs Untd and the rs
And not forgetting Mad dog Gravesen.
Oh and James Vaughn
Moyes as fitness coach.

I'd lose Gomes, Siggi, Iwobi, Pickford, Olsen, King.
Much as I'd like to, I can't honestly bring in Hibbo even for an over the hill Coleman

Only side to amass that amount of points and not get champions league football since top 4 were placed in the competition.

Man United finished 4th with 70 points the following season.

EVerToN ThAT
Yup, but league football is about final placings, not points. That's how real success is measured. I enjoyed 2013/14 because we played some really thrilling stuff at times, but the abiding memory of that season is not beating Arsenal 3-0 and sweeping into the Champions League, but beating Arsenal 3-0 and then blowing it spectacularly against Crystal Palace and Southampton. We blew up like a Nigel Mansell tyre in Australia. We were hammered 7-0 at Arsenal in 2004/05, but who really remembers that? We were already in the CL play-offs. Sadly for Moyes, we never did get into the CL proper, so even that season's achievement was for nought.

Points correlate strongly with placings, obviously, but Moyes achieved something tangible in 2004/05. He showed a top four placing could be achieved. Martinez showed you could play good football...but fell short of proving you could do that AND get top four too. Truth be told, Roberto was already on the slide as the 2014 season petered out.

I doubt that side would've finished 4th had Liverpool not had so many European games that season. Our side of that season had plenty of heart and desire but not massive amounts of quality, we of course finished with a minus goal difference.

Moyes could've cost us 4th that season when he dropped Bent for Beattie as he just wasn't suited to play up front on his own in a 4-5-1 system as our form dropped off in the second half of the season with him in the side.

I still think the current side is better but will be fortunate to get any European place and is certainly far away from being a top four team.

Last edited:
This side has more quality but 2004/05 had more grit and determination.

The teams from 2007/08 & 2008/09 would demolish this team, though. In fact, I’d fancy them to be a Champions League team these days. The top 4 were ridiculously strong back then, though.

It would all be about the first goal. Both then and now it was about keeping it tight and nicking one.

I agree 07/08 was probably best team we had just a shame Moyes didn't use Baines at LB enough or Lescott at CB. Also Cahill had quite a bit of time injured that season. 13/14 was also a very good team and I think would have gone toe to toe with 07/08.

It would all be about the first goal. Both then and now it was about keeping it tight and nicking one.

I agree 07/08 was probably best team we had just a shame Moyes didn't use Baines at LB enough or Lescott at CB. Also Cahill had quite a bit of time injured that season. 13/14 was also a very good team and I think would have gone toe to toe with 07/08.
That team around 07-09 was crying out for a pacey right winger. Some great footballers like Pienaar and Arteta with goals threats from midfield like Osman Cahill even Fellaini, a boss right winger would’ve been the difference

That team around 07-09 was crying out for a pacey right winger. Some great footballers like Pienaar and Arteta with goals threats from midfield like Osman Cahill even Fellaini, a boss right winger would’ve been the difference

Absolutely agree. That was the one weakness as either Arteta or Osman had to play there and both were better suited centrally.

This side has more quality but 2004/05 had more grit and determination.

The teams from 2007/08 & 2008/09 would demolish this team, though. In fact, I’d fancy them to be a Champions League team these days. The top 4 were ridiculously strong back then, though.

Best team we’ve had in the Prem era imo, pre-Yakubu and Arteta injuries. I know the parrots will appear in here with “72 points tho” but the team from 07/08 was better than that side. We had a lot of luck in the 2013/14 season and no luck at all from 07-09, those injuries really done us in.

Both sides would hammer our current one though.

D7BAsonXsAEIMbQ.jpg

Cahill Carsley and Gravesen as they were playing then would walk into this squad. So much aggression tenacity and drive, and they could all play, exactly what the current team needs. We then brought Arteta in in January who would also waltz into this team. Nigel Martyn is also head and shoulders above any keeper we’ve had since him.

Add Martyn and those midifelders to the current squad and we’d probably be top 4 this season.

And I would have had Dunc up front before any strikers we have ATM.

Status
Not open for further replies.