“The Negativity From The Fans Doesn’t Affect The Players”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theyre humans- of course they're effected by it.

If you want the team to do well then encourage them. You get more from people with a carrot than with a stick. In all walks- sport, government, the workplace, without exception it is lazy, clueless, poor managers revert to stick management, skilled intelligent managers look to use carrots.
There's no little management expertise in knowing when to use a stick and when to use a carrot...any manager of The Lisbon will attest to that.

There's an easy way for Bernard to not get criticised.

Don't be crap.

Then people won't call you crap.

All he's done by posting that is confirm he's not mentally good enough to be a top level footballer.

We've seen clear proof in the Fulham and West Ham games that fans aren't the negative factor some think they are - indeed its the opposite. Players aren't putting that extra 10% in at all clubs and it means home form has dropped off universally.

Fans simply expect an acceptable performance. They'll voice when it's clear that isn't being given. That's fine.

There's an easy way for Bernard to not get criticised.

Don't be crap.

Then people won't call you crap.

All he's done by posting that is confirm he's not mentally good enough to be a top level footballer.

We've seen clear proof in the Fulham and West Ham games that fans aren't the negative factor some think they are - indeed its the opposite. Players aren't putting that extra 10% in at all clubs and it means home form has dropped off universally.

Fans simply expect an acceptable performance. They'll voice when it's clear that isn't being given. That's fine.

I agree that fans being in the stadium could be effective player performances in the negative but it is not a comparative statement because these people who do this on Social Media are cowards and/or just simply do not go to games.

Also, who are you to say he is not mentally strong enough. People who are affected by abuse online or anywhere else can still be strong mentally but as I mentioned here and earlier in the thread, if it is constant and/or disturbingly abusive then it is not the footballer, plumber, or whatever occupation they have, that should be seen as the problem.

The one answer is to sign out and close the account but why should somebody be forced off because of people who think this is acceptable behaviour.

I agree that fans being in the stadium could be effective player performances in the negative but it is not a comparative statement because these people who do this on Social Media are cowards and/or just simply do not go to games.

Also, who are you to say he is not mentally strong enough. People who are affected by abuse online or anywhere else can still be strong mentally but as I mentioned here and earlier in the thread, if it is constant and/or disturbingly abusive then it is not the footballer, plumber, or whatever occupation they have, that should be seen as the problem.

The one answer is to sign out and close the account but why should somebody be forced off because of people who think this is acceptable behaviour.

They shouldn't, but there's a difference between abuse and criticism, a line that is becoming increasingly fuzzy because people increasingly can't take criticism.

If I'm crap at my job (and I occasionally am), if I'm given a kick up the arse or notice it myself before that, then it's up to me to do something about it if I can. There's no point me trying to blame others for my own failings; it won't fix anything.

Football in that respect is no different - if Bernard is moaning because he's been criticised for being bad, then that's him displaying mental weakness and unable to take criticism on board. If it's abuse, then that is different, but is there any evidence of that? You'll get the odd "midget" comment or whatever but it's the bloody internet and he's a public persona who's about 5ft tall, you're going to get that - that's not abuse.

Instead, that to me seems like Bernard scoring an important goal for once and taking the opportunity to go "see, I'm not crap, ha ha ha". Which is just weak - it shouldn't be personal, there should be an understanding that he hasn't been good enough and it's not the fans' fault for noticing it.

I say that as a Bernard fan actually, but it's just true that he's been underwhelming for a long time now, and that tweet is a big reason as to why IMO - the wrong mental approach to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.