Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty Cash for £12m would’ve been hoovered up by the Everton of 12 years ago. But nah, we’re above that now.
People would have ridiculed that and preferred to pay £30m for Aaron’s.
I have no trust in our recruitment, and If I was a young player, more so a foreign one, I would go nowhere near us.
How many young players have we bought over the years and none have got near our first team, a lot never even made it into Finch Farm, or the UK.

People would have ridiculed that and preferred to pay £30m for Aaron’s.
I have no trust in our recruitment, and If I was a young player, more so a foreign one, I would go nowhere near us.
How many young players have we bought over the years and none have got near our first team, a lot never even made it into Finch Farm, or the UK.
Well that’s just not true. Stones, Deulofeu, Dom, Rom, Godfrey, probably more in forgetting, all joined us young and became first team regulars pretty quickly. The Vlasic and Kean examples I’m sure you’re referencing aren’t great sales points for younger players but to say youth isn’t ever given a chance is patently false.

Well that’s just not true. Stones, Deulofeu, Dom, Rom, Godfrey, probably more in forgetting, all joined us young and became first team regulars pretty quickly. The Vlasic and Kean examples I’m sure you’re referencing aren’t great sales points for younger players but to say youth isn’t ever given a chance is patently false.

Most of your list of examples are from 2013 and you can’t count Lukaku, the whole world knew how good he was and he’d just played a full season in the Premier League, he came to us as a first teamer. Godfrey also was 23 and a Premier League regular already who we paid £20m for to go straight into the first team.

If I were a young player I would run a mile if Everton came in for me. We are where talent goes to die.

Most of your list of examples are from 2013 and you can’t count Lukaku, the whole world knew how good he was and he’d just played a full season in the Premier League, he came to us as a first teamer. Godfrey also was 23 and a Premier League regular already who we paid £20m for to go straight into the first team.

If I were a young player I would run a mile if Everton came in for me. We are where talent goes to die.
Ben was 21 or 22 when he joined. What about Richarlison? He joined at 21. It’s a fallacy that young talent can’t prosper here.

Ben was 21 or 22 when he joined. What about Richarlison? He joined at 21. It’s a fallacy that young talent can’t prosper here.

Mate, these were players that were signed specifically as first teamers. That’s not what the above poster is referring to, we paid huge fees for them and they were already first teamers for their previous clubs, they aren’t examples of us discovering and nurturing young talent.

Forget big names we need players who are reliable fitness wise and can perform consistently. We have far too many players who aren't reliable.

Mate, these were players that were signed specifically as first teamers. That’s not what the above poster is referring to, we paid huge fees for them and they were already first teamers for their previous clubs, they aren’t examples of us discovering and nurturing young talent.
Ok fair enough. Then how many punts on youth do we expect to actually make it who aren’t established. Dom did it. Holgate to an extent. Branthwaite, tbd. Aside from Vlasic, who do we think these potential stars are that aren’t getting a chance and are then discarded? Who of those players are leaving and becoming a mega hit elsewhere?

I’d love more youth to make it, but it’s really really hard to do at this level.

Ok fair enough. Then how many punts on youth do we expect to actually make it who aren’t established. Dom did it. Holgate to an extent. Branthwaite, tbd. Aside from Vlasic, who do we think these potential stars are that aren’t getting a chance and are then discarded? Who of those players are leaving and becoming a mega hit elsewhere?

I’d love more youth to make it, but it’s really really hard to do at this level.

Branthwaite hasn’t played for us since July 2020 and he doesn’t seem to be anywhere near starting a game for us right now, seems further away from the first team than he was when he came in. I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up another Lewis Gibson getting loaned out to League 1 until the end of his contract unfortunately. As I said, youth prospects come here to waste years of their career. Nkounkou looks to be the same unfortunately, we aren’t interested in bedding him into the first team set up.

Who was that Belgian lad we had for years who never even got on the bench, spent about 3 years in the U23s? Forget his name. There’s absolutely loads of youngsters that have come here and just wasted their time, never improving or threatening to amount to anything.

If you're signing 2 or 3 a season you probably get one useful player each year. Better than what we're doing now.

Look at Palace (can't believe I've typed that) last summer. I reckon at least one of Edouard, Olise and Guehi works out.

If you're signing 2 or 3 a season you probably get one useful player each year. Better than what we're doing now.

Look at Palace (can't believe I've typed that) last summer. I reckon at least one of Edouard, Olise and Guehi works out.
I long for the day we actually start scouting effectively and with consistency, but we are just a rudderless mess at the moment.

Jobs for the Boys.

We could definitely improve, but it’s more about signing the right players I think. Almost no one who leaves without getting a run goes on to become a really good player elsewhere which leads me to believe, most just aren’t good enough to begin with. Our scouting to me is more of the issue. Because we suck at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.