2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d still suggest that all players with these issues, who’s performance is being effected, we should throw on the scrap heap and sell.

It's a shame that you're obviously not going to change this view or learn from what has been put up on here.

I think @mill has done a very good job of explaining how these issues can affect everyone, in different ways, at different periods of their lives and for different reasons and it is too blunt to simply throw anyone who suffers "on the scrap heap", as you put it.

Tough one this as obviously people with mental health issues can 100% be very good at their job, but its a very small number who have the pressure to perform with 40,000 people watching your every move, expecting a quality performance and are quick to show you if they arnt happy.

Football isnt like other jobs. So you can see the concern some people have.
I think the mental health thing and temperament is separate.

I thought I posted this already but I can’t see that i did now...

I like bernard. I think he’s got a lot of ability, when he is ‘on’ he is great and I think his first touch and movement are sublime. I don’t have a problem with size because of said movement and touch.

that being said, he drifts in and out of games and I’m not sure he has the temperament to perform consistently to be a top top player which is frustrating for me. I think that’s what sets great players apart, consistency.

I’d quite like to see him get a run of games behind the front two and with the ability to drift wherever he wants as I think that would suit him perfectly but I think that’s too big a luxury for this team.

I’m also not sure ancelotti rates him and I’m not sure where he would fit in this team. That might be sure to us predominantly playing 442 though.

maybe if we sign the midfielders we are after that would give us a platform for the likes of iwobi and Bernard.

I would like to see how those two (and Gomes) do with a proper midfield.

No but you're doing your best to trivialise problems of the sufferers and the people who suffe by proxy with them

I don’t mean to trivialise the issue at all, I was trying to make a distinction between high end elite football, and our normal perspective of life.

My whole point was to not dehumanise their plight, but the opposite, suggest their pressure is so much, that if their game is effected so much by their mental health issue; they should leave Everton.

In a 4-2-3-1 with an actual ACM that isn't Sigurdsson next to him, and 2 actual centre mids behind him, he'd be a good player. There's ability there. He's been playing with absolute dross, and he's shown in flashes that he's got quality.

That said, for FFP purposes and because I prefer 4-4-2 he'd be one of the first I'd be looking to sell. You'd get roughly £15m and lose approx £120k p/w off the wage bill.

It's a shame that you're obviously not going to change this view or learn from what has been put up on here.

I think @mill has done a very good job of explaining how these issues can affect everyone, in different ways, at different periods of their lives and for different reasons and it is too blunt to simply throw anyone who suffers "on the scrap heap", as you put it.

I believe you’re guilty (with no bad intent) of trying to normalise a very tiny percentage of society, elite level sports men/women. And implement societal constructs of everyday life, to this very elite few. Where as they should be compared pressure wise to soldier’s, and high end frontline workers.
Unfortunately in these jobs, if you drop off in performance because of mental health, you should leave or be kicked out..

It would drive you mental reading this argument. Is he good enough? No. Then get shut. I am sure he already has loads and loads in the bank to pay for all the private consultations he needs and good luck to him on that. Back to football, we need better players.

In a 4-2-3-1 with an actual ACM that isn't Sigurdsson next to him, and 2 actual centre mids behind him, he'd be a good player. There's ability there. He's been playing with absolute dross, and he's shown in flashes that he's got quality.

That said, for FFP purposes and because I prefer 4-4-2 he'd be one of the first I'd be looking to sell. You'd get roughly £15m and lose approx £120k p/w off the wage bill.

Him, Davies and Kenny. Should recoup £35m to reinvest.

You can very much have empathy with him as a person, but from a football perspective I see guys with mental health issues. Lennon, Gomes, Keane, and now Bernard coming out publicly saying they’ve had issues is VERY alarming. It’s a partly a reason why we’re pretty rubbish.
1 in 4 people in the country suffer from some form of mental health issue in any given YEAR (so the % who suffer at some point in their life will be massively higher than 1 in 4). Many of these people will be successful individuals who excel in their field.

Why would footballers be any different? Because they get paid a lot??

It would drive you mental reading this argument. Is he good enough? No. Then get shut. I am sure he already has loads and loads in the bank to pay for all the private consultations he needs and good luck to him on that. Back to football, we need better players.
I don’t disagree long term but he’d not be top of the list of players Id want rid of. Albeit he’s on a fair wage and if FFP was a factor it would have to be a consideration.

That being said, on pure footballing terms I’d keep him ahead of bolasie, Sandro, tosun et al.

He can contribute against the right times. we could deffo get a better player but he’s a decent player to have in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.