2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around David Silvas size would at least help him be an average player who could be worth having in the squad.
obviously he has no one near the ability and midget size so pointless player for us.
Midget?
Moutinho 1.7 and 61kg
Bernard 1.64 and 60kg
Physicality or mental attitude,you choose.

You're basically saying that people who are suffering from mental ill health should retire from their jobs?
You don't think that they should be encouraged to talk about their issues and overcome them? Surely you realise that the vast majority of mental health issues are temporary?
As I said, you're having a nightmare here.
Give in before you make yourself look even more ridiculous.

No I’m suggesting people with an elite job, who can’t handle it should leave. The ‘other job‘s ‘ might be important in other factors such as economic or social, but Football, surgeons, Pilots as mentioned are ‘elite’

Getting back to the football issue, he is not good enough. Take it from there.
I’m really caught in two minds about him.

he’s definitely go the ability, his first touch can be sublime and when he is ‘on’ he’s great.

That said he can drift in and out of games and his inconsistency is frustrating.

I’m also not sure that Ancelotti fancies him as a winger.

He’s a bit of a luxury player and a part of me would like to see him get a run of games where he can just drift wherever he wants. But is he consistent enough to allow for that?

Not sure. Im not sure he has the temperament to be consistent enough to be a top top player. Which is frustrating because I do think he has the ability. I’m not as worried about his size as others. Maybe he gets pushed of the ball at times but it’s huge problem for me given his movement.

@Theblueview
You're in a minority of 1 on this mate...of course you may be correct in all you assert, but the odds are against it.
Or you may just be a wummer...not very good at picking subjects though.

I don’t care if I’m in a minority of one, it’s my opinion. Sorry if I don’t fit your group-think requirements. This subject isn’t a joke.

Once again, he didn’t let it effect his performance, so in a way he dealt with it, he didn’t deal with it in the normal social way. But from a sporting perspective he dealt with it.
The original poster wanted us to give Bernard another go, because of his mental health issue. I’m arguing that he should leave Everton and maybe European football, if he's struggling. This would be far kinder than keeping him under pressure for another year.
They literally say it affected their game in the documentary. These issues can be temporary which is why the OP suggests we give them another chance.

Tough one this as obviously people with mental health issues can 100% be very good at their job, but its a very small number who have the pressure to perform with 40,000 people watching your every move, expecting a quality performance and are quick to show you if they arnt happy.

Football isnt like other jobs. So you can see the concern some people have.

I wouldn't say mental health effects footballers performances but I would say players who have issues with anxiety, confidence etc. may struggle when the going gets tough as it were.

We all laugh on here about Keane falling to pieces once the fans get back into the stadium but there is some truth in that he has looked better and more calm playing in a less pressurised environment such as an empty stadium.

As the saying goes the one thing worse than an anxious dog is 2 anxious dogs as the anxiety plays off one another whereas when you go a shelter/kennels the staff will often pair an anxious dog up with a more confident one as the confident one will lead and the anxious one follows and isnt as distressed.

So basically my opinion is that if you have a number of players in the side who have potential anxiety/confidence issues such as Keane, Gomes then its essential we have some leaders on the pitch who can help lift these players up when the pressure is high.

Sadly we have no leaders whatsoever - I would have liked signing Thiago Silva on that basis for his leadership qualities alone

Having mental health issues is not relevant to how he performs on the pitch or the attitude he shows.

I'm sure there have been lots of top level footballers who have performed every week yet have had struggles off the pitch. The idea they are weak and should have been let go from their clubs is ridiculous

Again a difficult one as many players have come out and stated how their mental health really affected their careers.

Its not a one size fits all which is why its so difficult. Bernard may be happiest on the pitch where he has a sole focus, or he may struggle infront of a massive crowd. Nobody knows.

I didn’t suggest it makes them weak. It’s my personal opinion that we shouldn’t give players a free pass because they’ve self diagnosed a mental health issue.
Just because he’s spoken about his issues, doesn’t mean it’s self diagnosed. From what I understand he’s received professional help and been given a professional diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.