Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Resized_20200810_173737.jpeg

@maccavennie

Must have been a really nasty, quick and violent slip mate. Have they said how long it will be until you can get physiotherapy?
At the moment just doing a few exercises the orthopaedic surgeon has said to do, see him in another 2 weeks so probably find out then.

Only thing i can remember was as i slipped trying to brace myself so my head didn't hit the deck first.

At the moment just doing a few exercises the orthopaedic surgeon has said to do, see him in another 2 weeks so probably find out then.

Only thing i can remember was as i slipped trying to brace myself so my head didn't hit the deck first.

Bet you made that decision in a split second as well mate. Looks bad.... but probably could have been even worse.

Rest up mate, I'll try and think of macca's top 10 things to do when you've got 10 9"inch nails attached to your shoulder blade and see if we can get you through the next couple of months mate.

Complete mental breakdown today. Good couple of hours smashing my way round the house.

So tired of everything. Nothing ever changes. Apparently my only redeeming feature is being around makes my missus happy. That should cancel out the way I feel about myself and my life.

Complete mental breakdown today. Good couple of hours smashing my way round the house.

So tired of everything. Nothing ever changes. Apparently my only redeeming feature is being around makes my missus happy. That should cancel out the way I feel about myself and my life.

What would you like to change, mate? How DO you feel about yourself?

First and foremost, making another person happy just by being around them is no mean feat so you’re clearly a good guy. Sometimes in relationships you need to get out of these “unspoken contracts” where you expect X because you do Y; talk it out and be clear about what you want and what you’re willing to give.

Best of luck with everything.

If you're missus is happy with you then that isn't your only redeeming feature mate :)

A little unclear m8. Did you smash the house up - breaking furniture etc? Don't know if you've been to the Drs for help but it might be worth a visit. Tell him / her how your feeling. That built up anger, perhaps physical excercise to vent, and great evidence base for improving mental health. Have you tried doing something as basic as getting a couple of sheets of A 4 and writing on one sheet " things that make me happy and why ". On the other " what is making you so unhappy, and why " . Try to think of what you have control of, what can you do to change things. How can you change things and who can help you. The problems you have no control over, seek help. Mental health service providers, go to Citizens Advice, ask them for support and advice. You need go find out why you feel so bad If you don't address your problem now m8, they will build up and start to spiral. It's important if you can to have some control. Get support from family if possible and friends. You've got no confidence or self esteem but they are not problems you can't address. That smashing things up is pure frustration, you think you've lost control, no one cares. People do care, but you need to share, to tell people why you think you feel like you do. Sounds as though your partner is supportive which is great. Like I say, try to identify why you feel like you do and address them if you can. If you can't, there are people out there who can help. Good luck buddy, you've got some insight which is good but you really do need - with the help of your partner ? - to find out why and address them, with help if you need to. Take care and good luck m8

Hello. I run a men’s mental health group called TALKHUB. I started doing a Men’s walk & talk group at the start of this year and also have a podcast talking about my own journey with mental health but also about different disorders and interviews with different people about their stories. I am doing a walk in Liverpool next Saturday and anyone is welcome. If any lads would like to get involved we are on Instagram and Twitter @talkhub_ and the podcast is available on Spotify, Apple podcasts, Anchor and google. Thanks, Jay.

@Hogwild how are you doing mate ?
I'm okay, thank you for asking. Being able to have the service in spite of COVID, was I think, a big plus mentally.

I was there holding her hand when my mom passed and was able to talk her through all of that and tell her how much she meant to me - even though I am positive she knew.

I wasn't able to do that for Dad and even though I told him often that I loved him, I wish I could have been there at the end to really be sure he knew and to let him know I forgave him. I also find myself really being upset that he was alone, because I'm afraid he was scared there by himself at the end (even though the paramedics assured me it was very quick). I still wish I could have been there to hold him and let him know it would be okay. In the quiet moments i think about that a lot.

Still, I have really great support from my wife and boys, and the return to routine is helpful.

I really appreciate the folks here who have been so supportive. It helps.