Everton Youth Teams Thread

Interesting! My big concern is that from past years we’re likely to start with a bunch of older players searching for loans or whom we dont know what to do with e.g. Connolly, Nathan Broadhead, Adeniran , Markelo , Ouzounidis, Bowler , maybe even Beni and Gibson .
I saw somewhere that the average age of the PL2 U23s is about 20, so we should be able to hold our own even with such a young side. I guess Unsworth could revert to his 5-5 formation if we struggle though.

I hope all them players Ouzounidis apart are sold or loaned out. The 5-5 will hopefully never be seen again they need to be played in the same system as seniors whatever that may be. This team should be about who we can bring through to the seniors not about winning the league. If we can win the league as a consequence of producing first teamers that will be a bonus.

....I fear with Ancelotti having 2 keepers on the bench that these youngsters are not in his thoughts for a breakthrough.
It is a strange thing to do and surely won’t fill any of the younger ones who could be filling a spot with confidence... unless he’s giving them some kind of reality check

....I fear with Ancelotti having 2 keepers on the bench that these youngsters are not in his thoughts for a breakthrough.
It is a strange thing to do and surely won’t fill any of the younger ones who could be filling a spot with confidence... unless he’s giving them some kind of reality check

He may just be including players who he feels are ready. Having Virginia be part of the bench for example will give him confidence.

The other younger players may be being told instructions and then depending on their progress would be included later

Some games coming up are 2 days apart

He may just be including players who he feels are ready. Having Virginia be part of the bench for example will give him confidence.

The other younger players may be being told instructions and then depending on their progress would be included later

Some games coming up are 2 days apart

...possibly, but the likes of Adeniran and Markelo are already 21, I’d have thought they’d be as ready as they’re ever going to be.

Good to see Wigan on a bit of a run of form with an ex/current everton contingent.
I think they could be interested in taking another player or 2 from the youth set up

Plus of course Dowell has started in their recent matches, don’t know how he’s done though , we depend on the special talent of @atrottel for that!

Yeh that's why I mentioned current too.
He's been subbed off late on which is understandable after the bad injury.
I think theyd be interested in signing him permanently if they can get similar deal to the Williams and Robinson ones, I'd be hoping to get a bit more for him though.
We'll see.

Based on the players we have left now this would be my U23 team.

Tryer
John Astley Branthwaite Anderson
Hunt Iversen Onyango Quirk
Simms Dobbin

Basically use Anderson to tuck in as 3rd centre back and have John push on so mirror image of first team. Hunt would tuck in as he is more of a 10 anyways Iversen the holding midfielder and Onyango the box to box. Quirk is a bit of a utility player so would play left hand side and it allows Simms and Dobbin to play as a front 2 like DCL and Richarlison. The Bench would be Hansen, Ouzounidis, Hughes, Carroll, Cannon. It would be a very young team 4 2nd year pro, 5 1st year pro, 2 2nd year scholars. Bench would be 1 3rd year pro, 1 2nd year pro, 2 1st year pro, 1 2nd year scholar. It would mean there would be chances to move up from U18 through season if players impress at that level.
The other player I was thinking about was Liam Higgins, in that he was the 3rd of our 1styear Scholars to make his debut at U23s . He only played U23s once off the subs bench but seemed to make a good impression with Unsworth as he was asked to play on the right side as opposed to his normal left side and laid on the winner for Simms.
For years he was in the same Wales squads as Astley, Hughes and Hosie and I was surprised when he wasnt a Scholar 2 years ago with them , I thought we’d lost him, but turns out he’s a year younger.

The other player I was thinking about was Liam Higgins, in that he was the 3rd of our 1styear Scholars to make his debut at U23s . He only played U23s once off the subs bench but seemed to make a good impression with Unsworth as he was asked to play on the right side as opposed to his normal left side and laid on the winner for Simms.
For years he was in the same Wales squads as Astley, Hughes and Hosie and I was surprised when he wasnt a Scholar 2 years ago with them , I thought we’d lost him, but turns out he’s a year younger.

The other one that might get promoted but more by default is Daniel Lowey due to the lack of left backs. I hope this new batch of scholars has a decent right back as from what I can see Joel Davidson didn't make a single squad last season which could either be injury or him not being good enough. I think Lewis Warrington is another they had high Hope's for as he already has a professional contract but midfield is where there is more competition than most.

The other one that might get promoted but more by default is Daniel Lowey due to the lack of left backs. I hope this new batch of scholars has a decent right back as from what I can see Joel Davidson didn't make a single squad last season which could either be injury or him not being good enough. I think Lewis Warrington is another they had high Hope's for as he already has a professional contract but midfield is where there is more competition than most.
Yeah Warrington was injured later part of the season, but as you say a midfielder. Regarding the u18s, we had a right back with England u15 a few years ago , but he then seemed to progress better in midfield, it’ll be interesting to see if he’s still around when we announce the new Scholars soon. Looks likely we‘ll have three decent centre backs to chose from , Thompson, Hagan and Welch so maybe Hagan would move to right back. Or do what we’ve done before with Kyle John and convert an attacking mid to Right Back , maybe McAlister .Always intriguing to speculate at this time of year!

I see Con Ouzounidis has signed the one year contract extension he was reportedly given in May, good for him . I must admit I’ve never seen him in the same light as Astley and Branthwaite , he‘s a different type of centre half , more physically developed but less skilful, but hes stuck at it , improved and who knows if he can improve further .

Last edited:
Getting some sorted out these last few months,here is another

Talented centre-back Harry Hagan has signed a first professional contract with Everton, penning a two-year deal with the Club until the end of June 2022.

England youth international Hagan has made consistent progress since joining Everton’s Academy aged 10.

A strong, commanding defender who is comfortable in possession, the 17-year-old featured regularly for Everton’s Under-18s side during the 2019/20 campaign.

His accomplished performances impressed for Paul Tait’s team, who were third in the U18 Premier League (North) table before the season was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Merseyside-born Hagan is an Everton Season Ticket Member.