2023/24 Amadou Onana

I think no one would begrudge his thinking that Everton is a stepping stone and maybe even the fact he thinks he's better than Everton....but, you gotta tear the place up and put in solid 8/9 out of 10 most weeks to back it up.

If he was clearly better than this level he would be standing out as the only shining light in the team. but he isn't is he. he's a young lad who for some reason has the aura of big time around him but is inconsistently average at the moment.

Could help help next year, defo. But then so could the 40-50m we might have to accept for him. He doesn't score or assist that much.

No African cup of nations next season, so Gana will have more legs. Might have to make do.

1000000806.jpg

Genuine question. What is that supposed to be telling us?
By the stats there's more to him I presume. However what it doesn't show is him going missing in games at times because we tend to bypass the midfield in our current form.

I dont really take a great deal of notice of stats but surely the minutes played being a lot fewer for Onana makes the comparison to the other 3(If thats what it is) a bit pointless? Not trying to be a knob its just that if hes played 800 mins+ less than the other players then the stats are skewed.

I think its fair to say that the stats also complement my view of him being a DM (anchor) and certainly not a CM as many assume.

His lack of mins compared with the rest suggest his ball recoveries and also perhaps interceptions would increase with more time on the pitch.

Any team using a stats based approach would be having them on a shortlist for a DM signing.

Genuine question. What is that supposed to be telling us?
They show that he would thrive if we actually played him in his proper position which is a DM/anchor type midfielder high tackles, high duels, good ball recoveries. However we play him more as a CM which according to that his passing stats are not as strong as others, maybe not the best use of him.

I dont really take a great deal of notice of stats but surely the minutes played being a lot fewer for Onana makes the comparison to the other 3(If thats what it is) a bit pointless? Not trying to be a knob its just that if hes played 800 mins+ less than the other players then the stats are skewed.

These aren’t totals. They are percentages or figures per 90 minutes.

They show that he would thrive if we actually played him in his proper position which is a DM/anchor type midfielder high tackles, high duels, good ball recoveries. However we play him more as a CM which according to that his passing stats are not as strong as others, maybe not the best use of him.

Exactamundo. Were using a high potential young player in the wrong role just to use Doucoure in an advanced position.

Im not here to start the Onana good/bad debate I was genuinely interested in what the stats posted were meant to show as its not something I place much store in. I just think you can use the stats in different ways to make your point one way or another and thats why they are flawed. They are just numbers and give no context so I will stick to what I see in the flesh week in week out in terms of rating players.