When Did The Rot Set In?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rot set in when Kenwright took control. We couldn't see the rot at the time but gradually it spread. Then we got in someone who managed to stop the rot or at least make it appear the rot had stopped. When he left the rot reappeared. But then we found a massively expensive product that not only would get rid of the rot but reinforce the building to standards we hadn't seen in over 25 years. Only to realise it spread the rot uncontrollably to the point where the demolition notice is about to be served.

When Kenwright seized full control of the board from Paul Gregg. The culture at the club changed for the worse and it was terminal. Completely chucked out all standards and became an institution who just romanticise the most embarrassing rubbish.

Further evidence of it at FT last night. I stayed until the end and people around me in the Lower Gwladys were actually clapping the players off, and not in sarcasm either. Absolutely crazy.

This club and the majority of the fanbase (least the people who go to Goodison) are getting exactly what's deserved.

When we unfortunately couldn't convert all the promise during the Moyes era in to winning something.

It's similar to what Spurs are experiencing at the moment - an invisible, self-imposed glass ceiling somehow prevented us from finishing the job when we were close to glory (2005, 2009 etc).

You can't tease around the edges indefinitely. You either win something and continue to build on that momentum, or it all falls apart. That's essentially what happened with us. And we have ultimately reverted back to where we were before Moyes - perennial relegation battles and dross.

After Moyes left, Kenwright & Co. made all the worst possible decisions. Repeatedly appointing the wrong managers, the on-going Moshiri debacle (Kenwright bringing in a Russian oligarch's accountant so he could defacto stay in charge). Awful recruitment on the pitch, blowing 100s of millions on proven garbage like Walcott. Standards and expectations continually lowered. It has all compounded over the last 10 years to the point where we are now.

There have been so many sliding door moments over the years it's difficult to chose.

I can however say with certainty when the existential dread set in: Moshiri's second AGM masterclass.

When the club meekly accepted the European ban in 1985 for a crime that had absolutely nothing to do with us whatsoever.

Could you imagine Manchester City accepting a ban from next season's Champions League for something that did not involve them? There would be court cases left, right, and centre.

Instead, Carter and Co caved in and abandoned their duty to protect the club's interests.

Yeah, we won another league 2 years later, but the seeds were planted: not so much of decline, but of a culture that deferred to others, accepted "our lot", and, most importantly, "knew our place."
Yes, this, exactly.

I wasn't around for that, but it feels like the accepting of the European ban was the moment the dumpster was brought in. Then Kenwright took over and spent decades filling it full of all sorts of trash. Then Moshiri came along with a match.

Maybe the uproar by the fans at a potential new manager that made the weak board do an about turn and appoint Lampard instead?

There were plenty of coaches we could have got instead of Benitez at the time, and better suited. Still baffles me why we didn't go harder for someone like Simeone, even then he'd clearly had enough of Atletico.

When the club meekly accepted the European ban in 1985 for a crime that had absolutely nothing to do with us whatsoever.

Could you imagine Manchester City accepting a ban from next season's Champions League for something that did not involve them? There would be court cases left, right, and centre.

Instead, Carter and Co caved in and abandoned their duty to protect the club's interests.

Yeah, we won another league 2 years later, but the seeds were planted: not so much of decline, but of a culture that deferred to others, accepted "our lot", and, most importantly, "knew our place."
Whilst I agree Heysel has had massive ramifications for us, the club had it's own government against them and English football was in the dirt. Every top club suffered..... The malaise started before his chairmanship to an extent, but BILL KENWRIGHT has done more damage to this club than Heysel ever has...... And I don't care who I upset here, but anybody that ever supported him or gave grief to those in the blue union or sat back and did nothing.....

You are all guilty.

Ill never be smug about being right but the sooner this whole debacle is over and done with, the better for us all.

I don't care if we drop how ever many divisions as long as we come back and are winning titles again. I don't care if Vladimir Putin takes over, none of that self righteous crap for me..... All I care about and want is Everton back at the top.

Ill probably be dead by then but still

When we unfortunately couldn't convert all the promise during the Moyes era in to winning something.

It's similar to what Spurs are experiencing at the moment - an invisible, self-imposed glass ceiling somehow prevented us from finishing the job when we were close to glory (2005, 2009 etc).

You can't tease around the edges indefinitely. You either win something and continue to build on that momentum, or it all falls apart. That's essentially what happened with us. And we have ultimately reverted back to where we were before Moyes - perennial relegation battles and dross.

After Moyes left, Kenwright & Co. made all the worst possible decisions. Repeatedly appointing the wrong managers, the on-going Moshiri debacle (Kenwright bringing in a Russian oligarch's accountant so he could defacto stay in charge). Awful recruitment on the pitch, blowing 100s of millions on proven garbage like Walcott. Standards and expectations continually lowered. It has all compounded over the last 10 years to the point where we are now.
Spot on this - same happened to villa but there demise was quicker then ours after being close rivals during the Moyes era, we had a general decline into mid table then came the bad signings and regular changing of manager, particularly from 2016-2020, it's just caught up with us and a big drop off from mid table to relegation in the last 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.