Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
We needed to sort out the defence and midfield
The reason why we signed the midfielders is because the existing ones are not good enough. They were the main problem in fairness.
Shocking to leave us without a forward and wingers though as the club hierarchy have now gambled with our future.
Absolute shambles. If we manage to survive though we just need to sort out a decent keeper and forward line/wingers for creativity
Sounds a bit harsh. According to most sources we are under FFP scrutiny as it is. Signing/buying players is an expensive business, especially forwards. We strengthened both defense and midfield considerably. We even got a couple of promising youngsters with resale value. Both area's were the biggest problems last season.

I totally agree we could have used another striker-option but those guys don't come cheap. Considering the financial situation we are in, I would rather wait a bit than go off buying option number 164736262 for way too much again.

We are not that bad in the winger department. Gray and Gordon are both decent players and we do have some backups up front.

Not a bad window in my view. Could it be better? Of course. But I'm not complaining with what we brought in and let's play some decent football from now on! We should be able to do that and let's hope we manage to bring in an extra striker in January (only 13-ish games away).

Who is he starting ahead of? In a 2 it's Gana and Onana, with a 3 you throw Iwobi in
With a pool of Gana, Garner, Onana and Iwobi to choose from, and Allan, Davies and Doucoure backing them up, I fail to see why we'd persist with a 2-man midfield.

In a 433 I think we'll usually see Garner or Onana as the 6, with Gana, Onana and Iwobi rotating through the two box-to-box berths. Allan and Doucs will back up the box-to-box roles, Davies will back up all three spots.

The 5 subs rule should allow us to replace two of the three starting CMs in every game, allowing them to up the intensity because they know they're coming off around 65 minutes.

I think its important to do proper squad analysis.

How i tend to view the squad is less on measure of number and quantitive data but more on a qualitative functional basis.

I tend to view and analyse each squad position and how functional it is an option and gauge the improvement, then balance that against the value and cost.

Richarlison - McNeill

Kenny - Vinarge

Tosun - Maupay

Gomes - Onana

Delph - Gana

Sigurdsson - Garner

Gbamin & Dele - replaced by defenders Coady & JT.

Bar Richarlison, you couldn't say any of the above contributed in a major way to the squad for anything but a bit part way at best. If you accumulate the no of games played on the left - with what we expect the players on the right to play, its very clear in my opinion the squad is in a far better functional place. We've essentially created 7 functional squad places - were there was no functional reliable player before. The big concern of course is Richarlison, but if we were doing this last year we wouldn't have had young Flash down as a viable option and look at him now - our most valuable player.

In terms of player trading from a business perspective, we have lost four of our highest earners on the left, Richarlison, Gylfi, Deph and Gomes (depending on the deal). We've taken on wages but i would suggest we have lowered our overall wage ceiling in comparison and that should help with costs.

Also in terms of costs, two of the loans Coady and Vinarge hold no amortisation, JT on a free has none, Idrissa (if he was 2 mill) is negligible. Garner is 3.5 mill, Onana 6.6 mill, McNeill 4 mill. Maupay 3 mill odd. So 18 mill added in annual amortisation costs on right Vs what we have lost in the left Colum with wages and amortisation.

Overall from a functional and business point of view, it certainly seems like we are stronger in terms of options without going crazy on costs - though we are still prob loss making. Dare i say though the word that keeps coming to mind is balance, but also maximising squad places that weren't functional to make them functional and real live options to strengthen the team.

We have 27 senior players at the club, I assume Onana and Patterson don't have to be registered as squad members as they were both u21 at the start of the season?

Need to end this farce of the season starting before the window closes. Never has made sense. Remember dropping points in Roberto’s season before we signed Lukaku.
One season recently they tried shutting it before the start of the season and everyone moaned about that too.

I think its important to do proper squad analysis.

How i tend to view the squad is less on measure of number and quantitive data but more on a qualitative functional basis.

I tend to view and analyse each squad position and how functional it is an option and gauge the improvement, then balance that against the value and cost.

Richarlison - McNeill

Kenny - Vinarge

Tosun - Maupay

Gomes - Onana

Delph - Gana

Sigurdsson - Garner

Gbamin & Dele - replaced by defenders Coady & JT.

Bar Richarlison, you couldn't say any of the above contributed in a major way to the squad for anything but a bit part way at best. If you accumulate the no of games played on the left - with what we expect the players on the right to play, its very clear in my opinion the squad is in a far better functional place. We've essentially created 7 functional squad places - were there was no functional reliable player before. The big concern of course is Richarlison, but if we were doing this last year we wouldn't have had young Flash down as a viable option and look at him now - our most valuable player.

In terms of player trading from a business perspective, we have lost four of our highest earners on the left, Richarlison, Gylfi, Deph and Gomes (depending on the deal). We've taken on wages but i would suggest we have lowered our overall wage ceiling in comparison and that should help with costs.

Also in terms of costs, two of the loans Coady and Vinarge hold no amortisation, JT on a free has none, Idrissa (if he was 2 mill) is negligible. Garner is 3.5 mill, Onana 6.6 mill, McNeill 4 mill. Maupay 3 mill odd. So 18 mill added in annual amortisation costs on right Vs what we have lost in the left Colum with wages and amortisation.

Overall from a functional and business point of view, it certainly seems like we are stronger in terms of options without going crazy on costs - though we are still prob loss making. Dare i say though the word that keeps coming to mind is balance, but also maximising squad places that weren't functional to make them functional and real live options to strengthen the team.
Brilliant...

Of course there will be some on here who will dispute your analysis, but that's ok we are all entitled to an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.