Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second team has like 65% of the ball though and if they play two legs wins because someone from the first team screws up.
The reality is Mina and Allan get injured after half an hour in the first leg and are replaced by Keane and Davies. Digne throws his toys out of the pram because Rafael puts Gray on set pieces and this season's team wins 4-1 on aggregate.

I think we tried to do more, on the attacking front, Kudos and one or two others are indicative of that. In a way because we couldn’t get the right one in I’m happy we did nothing, in windows gone by we would have panic bought and brought in someone like Adama Traore, we all know how that ends up.

The window is a big show of faith in a few players in my opinion, Flash & McNeill in particular, threat and creativity will rest on their shoulders to a large degree, while Iwobi and Garner may be able to adjust to be more productive centrally. If either can help us to make the ball stick in advanced positions it would be a big help. As been said I think Maupay may also surprise a few and people will enjoy and respect him here, I think he will really enjoy it here and feed of it.

Overall I’m expecting more from Onana, McNeill, JT and Coady then we have seen so far, not that they have been bad but are still settling, so expect them all to incrementally improve. Garner I suspect will be the same.

Right, first job of work 20 points before Xmas.

Last edited:
Subjectively, our best team last season was :

Pickford
Coleman - Mina - Holgate - Digne
Allan
Doucs - Iwobi
Gordon - Dom - Richy
After the window :

Pickford
Patterson - Coady - Tarks - Myko
Gana
Onana - Iwobi
Gray - Dom - Gordon
I think those teams would play out a 0-0 draw.
The second team is stronger down the spine, more mobile/energy and other than the question mark over Dom - at least the second team isn’t as injury prone so might actually get on the pitch.

Expecting Garner to replace Iwobi in that midfield spot and that he’ll move back into what looks like a paper thin forward line.

Right wing and left back look the weakest parts of this years team.

I’m also a little surprised the Blackburn owners are gonna forfeit £10-15m on Brereton Diaz. Maybe they hope someone pays a decent fee in January. Can see teams just saying nah we’ll have him for free a few months later.

I'd consider using Iwobi as a makeshift wide forward for the short-term and use Gray off the bench. Garner to start in midfield with Gana & Onana. Garner might have a few goals in him. I'm not particularly keen either on McNeill as a starter. We have to get to January and be in a position where we're not in a blind panic.

I’m also a little surprised the Blackburn owners are gonna forfeit £10-15m on Brereton Diaz. Maybe they hope someone pays a decent fee in January. Can see teams just saying nah we’ll have him for free a few months later.
Not going up without him, and with a closed window. Probably figure the expected value on the Prem TV lottery ticket outweighs the revenue from binning him off, and Lord knows their fans hate ownership enough already.

And we got two. Maupay and McNeil. I've no issue with Maupay, think he will be really good for us. McNeil on the other hand makes absolutely no sense. Even with Dominic Calvert-Lewin out McNeil now doesn't start, clear as day his confidence is on the floor..

I'd be amazed if he starts against the rs. Fully expect we go Maupay up top with Gordon and Gray on the flanks. McNeil doesn't make sense as a transfer especially given there was a pacey player available from the same club at around the same price, with a better return, who can cover both the wing and up top when required in Cornet. Think even with just that switch the squad would be looking better balanced.

McNeil will be needed in the Derby for defensive work at least

I'd consider using Iwobi as a makeshift wide forward for the short-term and use Gray off the bench. Garner to start in midfield with Gana & Onana. Garner might have a few goals in him. I'm not particularly keen either on McNeill as a starter. We have to get to January and be in a position where we're not in a blind panic.

Im like you on McNeill mate. We have to hope we have a plan for the lad and we develop him, we need him. I’d be loath to move Iwobi from a central position he’s thriving and is looking top tier in what he’s doing, I’d like to see him that bit more advanced centrally.

Status
Not open for further replies.