Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, proving that came from the Richy money and he wasnt sold for some absurd make accounts idea...
1) That fact was widely reported
2) If we had 50 million pounds from Richarlison on this season's accounts as a positive, all the dead money coming off next season and the season after means we could have spent like everyone else this window, due to how amortization works.

By that logic McNeil scored 0 last season so we’re weaker.

Whatever way you try frame it mate we’re substantially weaker in attack than we were at the end of the season.
How are we substantially weaker?
We play Maupay who will get 8-10 goals instead of Rondon who is 0
Or Maupay scores just 2 less than Richy but we have more potential from midfield to score goals ie Garner Onana

The numbers didn't change over the years. The way to achieve them did, somewhat. Seriously, take three minutes and scan through twenty years of tables. Teams that end up down post some right bog standard numbers for, against or usually both.

This is because of how the math works. To go down on -15 goal differential, which hasn't happened in twenty years, a team would have to pick up too many draws and not enough wins. That's really unlikely to happen in any event, but if it did it would be due to extremely low scoring or an extremely large number of concessions bringing those possible distributions of goals over matches into play.

It's fairly obvious that Lampard and Thelwell saw last season's leakiness as the problem they could best address with what funds were available, and did that. When we had to buy goals, they found the player with the best goals-per-pound track record available. We're trying to stay up winning ugly, get to next season when we'll have more funds available, and build a real side.

Comes out to 30 over a 38 game season. Nowhere near good enough. Add Maupay in and start getting some set piece goals, and that should fix that problem.
Maupay over Ricarliaon is no improvement, we’re even more of a
Back foot team, dig trenches then expect to occupy them

How are we substantially weaker?
We play Maupay who will get 8-10 goals instead of Rondon who is 0
Or Maupay scores just 2 less than Richy but we have more potential from midfield to score goals ie Garner Onana

Maupay and McNeil are nowhere near the level of Richarlison mate. Midfield looks better but attack is weaker, no matter what way you look at it.

There are some positives of this window. The players we have signed (besides Maupay who is one of the most profligate strikers going) have never got goals in their careers. "We have fixed the defence" 0 clean sheets without playing a team that'll finish top 4 this season (that pain is to come).

People who aren't kicking up a fuss seem to think we have the Milan defence in the 90s or something...the reality is Michael Keane will play games. People saying the DCL injury is bad luck, how could we possibly have contemplated a player who spent most of last season injured...could get injured hey?
We lost the main protagonist in keeping us up, his great attitude when games go against us and his goals in Richarlison. We knew this would be the case for months. We did nothing.

The negligence in not addressing the lack of goals takes a window that could have been an 8 or 9/10 to a 4. Call it bedwetting but the lack of goals in this team and the improvement of our rivals for survival bar Leicester and Bournemouth is not an opinion, it is just counting. I was hopeful having a manager in charge who understands Latin would mean he could explain our motto to Bill Kenwright and co.... but it's still Bill Kenwright and co I guess. Good times.

I mean I would think you are capable of simple math, but if not I suppose I can do that for you.

You specifically asked a question, I specifically answered it, and now you are fishing for a new subject because you looked like a fool on the first one?
When did I ask you to give me some goals against stats? Search my post history, im concerned about us going forward. How did I look a fool? We’re 17th and you’re waxing lyrical about us.

Maupay over Ricarliaon is no improvement, we’re even more of a
Back foot team, dig trenches then expect to occupy them
Did I say it was an improvement? Please, wrap your head around this problem: we had no Richarlison money to spend. What we had available resulted from the differences in the remainder of the finances as one fiscal year dropped off and another one was added. We got some dead money off our books, freed up Richarlison's wages, and some interesting things happened with revenue in the first COVID year, which is the year that drops off the three-year cycle once this year is added. I could tell you more, but odds are you would fall asleep, so I won't.

Everyone's financials were pants that year, so making that go away from clubs' finances for compliance purposes helps explain the general spending binge in this window. Our financials were pants and stayed pants, so we had much less to spend. That's the short version of that story.

Reactions: JLW
We’re comfortable the worst footballing side In the league. We’ve actually taken the skill level down, not up. The Tony Pulis era is over and you don’t get away with that anymore. Where’s Tony now and why?

This line of thinking is out of date.
I'm coming in late to this conversation and apologise if misconstrued but you are 100% spot on here, we are still run in the way we were pre Prem, we haven't progressed at all from what was a well run respected club to one with the same ethos but without the much needed cutting edge business element and hard nosed approach to economics.

Its a travesty for a club who have set bars for others for decades but, we still live, in the minds of some at the club, in that era which has seen us fall so far behind now, we actually may never get it back.

I have images and its not all on Bill, but of him running around shouting about how touchy feely we are, make everyone welcome, get the kettle on etc etc whilst also trying to negotiate transfers, salaries and then prep for the upcoming press release or welcome video but not really having a "handle" on any of the machinations and it falling well short of what we should be.

Unless we can really look internally after that alleged review and see some distinct progress, we are heading in one direction and soon.

We are currently not only poor on pitch but a complete abomination off it too.

I fear for Everton future.

Dramatic? Maybe
Do I care? Damn right I do
Can I influence or change it? Partially maybe through groups like;

27 years Campaign

it needs to up the ante, get a real cognitive plan together, utilise all available resource to exert some pressure.

We are out of date, by a long way.

It needs to change.

I think Maupay scored 2 goals less than Richarlison last season, so in theory if McNeil can get 2 goals then there's Richarlisons goals replaced if Maupay hits similar figures again this season.
And who’s McNeil’s goals offset against? you can’t double count. 2 positions for one.

Maupay and McNeil are nowhere near the level of Richarlison mate. Midfield looks better but attack is weaker, no matter what way you look at it.
Im not saying they are mate, but what were missing from Richarlison dont you think we have gained more from Maupay and a midfield that offers control, goals and assists?

Maupay largely replaces richarlisons goals. Gordon has effectively replaced grays early goals last season. If we say this season: Maupay 10, Gordon 10, Gray 5-10, being optimistic (massively) that's 30 goals. Midfield, defenders and our best mate OG to chip in here and there may just about get us even Steven's with where we were last season in terms of goals scored. Buuuuut if we are even Steven's with last season then we already have to accept we are in a relegation scrap. Yes defense is better as is midfield but goalscoring is largely the same (being optimistic). Let's not forget last season we had a fair few hidings which made our goals against more negative. The one differentiator for this season has to be DCL. He has to get fit, stay fit and put the ball between the sticks or we are essentially in the same boat as last season, regardless of better players in defense/midfield.

I actually like what we have done this window, there is clearly a strategy, the bulk of our money has gone on young, hungry players who can add value to the club into the future. The consequence is we need to be so tight at the back to offset the lack of goals. We are putting huge pressure on young players, with no capability behind them in terms of personnel to backup if they lose form/get injured. Its just hugely risky in my eyes.

We need to hope we can scrape some wins through Gordon, Gray and Maupay with midfielders and centre backs chipping in. Get DCL fit, keep him fit, wrap him in bubble wrap if need be so we can get enough wins on the board. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased with the business we have done but I'm massively concerned with the business we haven't. Let's see. We need to start keeping cleansheets asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.