Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d split the difference and say 13-15th.

Bournemouth will go, and I think the Forest experiment will blow up, too. I wouldn’t discount Fulham having had a false start but that’s probably a bit of recency bias in terms of their PL performances talking.

Leicester look rudderless and they don’t dem to be able to rely on Vardy to get them out of it anymore. Their talents will probably take relegation so they all get cut price Prem moves.

Wolves and Saints could go either way. I think Brentford might be the headpatters’ favourites this year. Lots of goals and excitement in their games but they’ll fall short on points like Blackpool back in the day.

We’ll see a lot of 1-0, 0-1, 0-0 and 1-1s this year but I think we’ll be just about afloat come Jan, after which we’ll go on a bit of a tear when the new boys aren’t so new anymore and hopefully secure safety by April rather than mid-May.
I agree 14 or 15. 17 wasn't my prediction, I just can't complain with survival at any spot.

Only thing is Brentford are legit. They play good stuff and don't actually leave the back open doing it. They'll be fine I reckon.

Subjectively, our best team last season was :

Pickford
Coleman - Mina - Holgate - Digne
Allan
Doucs - Iwobi
Gordon - Dom - Richy
After the window :

Pickford
Patterson - Coady - Tarks - Myko
Gana
Onana - Iwobi
Gray - Dom - Gordon
I think those teams would play out a 0-0 draw.
The second team has like 65% of the ball though and if they play two legs wins because someone from the first team screws up.

Pickford
Allan
Doucs - Iwobi
Gordon - Dom - Richy
After the window :

Pickford
Gana
Onana - Iwobi
Gray - Dom - Gordon
The thing is, we never got to play that best team last season (almost never)… Instead, we were playing with Keane and Kenny :dodgy:

Pickford
Allan
Doucs - Iwobi
Gordon - Dom - Richy
After the window :

Pickford
Gana
Onana - Iwobi
Gray - Dom - Gordon
Disagree, Rico is spending way too much time in his own half because the midfield gets run over (last year's Wobes), and is peeved about it. Mina is a rock, but Holgate makes a mistake. It's most likely a 1-0 win for the second side, or 1-1 if Rico happens to have a moment of magic in him that day.

The @Bonnie Blue point about the perpetual injury crisis is also well taken.

I shouldn't have left Villa off they're very unconvincing as well.
Before the season I thought they had enough. Now? Not so much.

Disagree, Rico is spending way too much time in his own half because the midfield gets run over (last year's Wobes), and is peeved about it. Mina is a rock, but Holgate makes a mistake. It's most likely a 1-0 win for the second side, or 1-1 if Rico happens to have a moment of magic in him that day.

The @Bonnie Blue point about the perpetual injury crisis is also well taken.

Before the season I thought they had enough. Now? Not so much.
Villa is the classic no plan side. They've got some ok players where they shouldn't be in trouble but they don't naturally fit into one system and Gerrard doesn't have a system he wants to play so it just turns into a mess.

Villa is the classic no plan side. They've got some ok players where they shouldn't be in trouble but they don't naturally fit into one system and Gerrard doesn't have a system he wants to play so it just turns into a mess.
Sounds a bit like the Koeman fiasco. Inherit pieces, buy expensive pieces willy-nilly without thinking how the package fits together, become bad, get sacked. I think he bought better pieces, but I think he's sold Villa down the river long-term to do it.

Sounds a bit like the Koeman fiasco. Inherit pieces, buy expensive pieces willy-nilly without thinking how the package fits together, become bad, get sacked. I think he bought better pieces, but I think he's sold Villa down the river long-term to do it.
I'm not even sure he did. Diego Carlos is crazy overrated, Coutinho is crazy overrated, Dondoncker I don't think is even rated he's just not that good, Ings is overrated. They're good enough to stay up but not so good that they can't get into trouble.

I'm not even sure he did. Diego Carlos is crazy overrated, Coutinho is crazy overrated, Dondoncker I don't think is even rated he's just not that good, Ings is overrated. They're good enough to stay up but not so good that they can't get into trouble.
As compared to the cart horses Walsh/Koeman bought when they splashed the cash, it looks superior but this isn't saying much (you're exempted, Pickers, don't worry).

The huge problem here is those contract lengths. We learned this the Ancelotti year. If you buy a bunch of 30 million players on three year deals, that's ten million a year in amortization. It's like buying a young 50 million player on a five year deal, but you're never getting the quality or the sell-on that way. It's not entirely Gerrard's fault - the previous regime bought Ings that way - but those contracts are going to be anchors for a couple of seasons. I don't like what happens in year three at all, although at least Ings comes off by then.

There is some damn sensible and thoughtful discussion in here in the last few hours, especially considering we’re mere hours from the transfer window slamming shut. Have enjoyed it. It’s going to be a tough season but I’m seeing a lot of positives too. Good to hear reasoned arguments on both sides of the coin.

According to the bbc Nottingham forest only spent 13 mil on Dennis surely that can’t be right
It's what transfermarkt is also reporting, so it's probably accurate. A quick scan suggests he was a problem in the dressing room, which tends to drive values down. Lucky to get what we did for Kean, given the problems we experienced at our end. Balotelli also springs immediately to mind as someone who tanked his value through behavior, though he got a lot of extra chances on his abundance of talent.

Did we not sign another winger or striker??
This is going to be a long season

We need a RW im afraid Liverpool will expose us and our lack of signings in this transfer window.

#kevinthelwellout

Status
Not open for further replies.