Everton Pre-Season (Tours) 2022/23 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched a clip of talksport earlier (I know). They were talking about us. It was Darren Ambrose and that Goldstein lad. Ambrose as an ex-pro was basically saying you should read absolutely nothing into pre-season results.

The game against Dynamo Kiev next week probably sums up Everton to a tee.

Forget the sentiment behind the fixture for one moment(which I totally get, before anyone starts to moan) here we have a team who will be very early in their preparations for the start of their season which also ended early last and doesn't start until 20th Aug.

My point is how is this fixture going to help our preparation for our season which starts the week later?

All other premier league teams are playing top Spanish Italian teams etc, were playing a team for sentimental reasons.

Surely Frank wanted a proper test the week before the season started?
So theoretically we should smash them, but we probably wont

Christ - it was our first preseason friendly to simply get miles in the legs and to ramp up the fitness levels. I imagine Frank, and 99% of this Forum couldn’t care less that you couldn’t care less if he’s sacked. Your negativity is boring as hell. It doesn’t make you a better blue. Give it a rest.
2nd friendly, battered by an MLS side and still no significant signings. Still confident some of us blues are negative or are we being realistic...

You might be perfectly happy that we will be playing Championship football next season, each to their own I suppose.

Or, a manager who doesn't think he has a defensive midfielder who can help the defence and move the ball forward, when he plays a back 4. For what it's worth, I hate the 3 centre back system, but, I can see why Lampard feels forced into persisting with it at the moment. He even said himself that he needs a defensive centre midfielder.
When Lampard got appointed didn`t we see comments from Derby and Chelsea fans saying he couldn`t set a team up to defend? Is this what we are seeing now?

I`m not calling for Frank to go, I want him to be successful and stay for many years but its not looking great is it? I know there is more failings with the board but will they take that in to consideration when we are going down or will the manager pay the price?

When Lampard got appointed didn`t we see comments from Derby and Chelsea fans saying he couldn`t set a team up to defend? Is this what we are seeing now?

I`m not calling for Frank to go, I want him to be successful and stay for many years but its not looking great is it? I know there is more failings with the board but will they take that in to consideration when we are going down or will the manager pay the price?

We've seen him more than capable of setting us up defensively. He got it down to a tee against the likes of Chelsea and in particular Man Utd and Leicester.

The issue we have is when the ball needs to be fed through midfield, there's not one player who wants to take it on the turn, then of they do there's no other player looking for the give and go. Then when we are defending, there's no one positional aware of how to block lines, put a foot in, be disciplined.

We are basically missing 3 of the above or at best we have 1 player who can do a job whilst the other 2 go walkies

As long as that's the case, we can't retain possession and make it count up top and we can't win the ball back higher up the pitch which then puts the defence under pressure.

I don`t disagree with what you have stated, 6 clean sheets v Leeds, Boreham Wood, Newcastle, Man Utd, Chelsea and Watford. The only problem is that for every clean sheet we have a result like Newcastle a L3-1, Spurs a L5-0, Palace a L4-0, Burnley a L3-2, Arsenal a L5-1 and now we`ve seen two pre season games where we have conceded 6 and scored 0.

Terrified for this season TBH, what an absolute mess we are in. Limited funds, cant afford to sign our top targets and all going to smaller clubs and losing Richy from a team that narrowly avoided relegation last season, I think the writing is on the wall if nothing significant happens. If we are honest with 2 weeks and 2 PSF games to go it is a little late to bring players in to bed in and hit the ground running before the season starts.

Pessimistic perhaps but I cant see too many positives ATM.

I think he can set us up to defend, the problems begin when we get possession, instead of moving up the field with the ball we either, lose it in our own half, or, punt it long. Either way it comes pretty much straight back at us. It seems that Frank feels playing a back 3/5 is the only way to cope with this. Until we get some players in midfield who do not treat the ball like an unexploded bomb, I think he is probably right .

I think he can set us up to defend, the problems begin when we get possession, instead of moving up the field with the ball we either, lose it in our own half, or, punt it long. Either way it comes pretty much straight back at us. It seems that Frank feels playing a back 3/5 is the only way to cope with this. Until we get some players in midfield who do not treat the ball like an unexploded bomb, I think he is probably right .
Isn`t this the point, we don`t look like adding anyone until the end of the transfer window, if at all, so where does this leave us?

I don`t disagree with what you have stated, 6 clean sheets v Leeds, Boreham Wood, Newcastle, Man Utd, Chelsea and Watford. The only problem is that for every clean sheet we have a result like Newcastle a L3-1, Spurs a L5-0, Palace a L4-0, Burnley a L3-2, Arsenal a L5-1 and now we`ve seen two pre season games where we have conceded 6 and scored 0.

Terrified for this season TBH, what an absolute mess we are in. Limited funds, cant afford to sign our top targets and all going to smaller clubs and losing Richy from a team that narrowly avoided relegation last season, I think the writing is on the wall if nothing significant happens. If we are honest with 2 weeks and 2 PSF games to go it is a little late to bring players in to bed in and hit the ground running before the season starts.

Pessimistic perhaps but I cant see too many positives ATM.

It's not being pessimistic at all mate, your concern is genuine and I'm exactly the same as you.

I think when you look at all those defeats, they're littered with mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake. There's about 5-7 players who really need to be punted but it'll be impossible to get rid of them unfortunately all in one go. So all he can do is a little bit of a patch up job here, stick a plaster over there, until the constraints we have on us are no more.

Isn`t this the point, we don`t look like adding anyone until the end of the transfer window, if at all, so where does this leave us?
Scrambling for safety, playing 5 at the back and trying to Nick something on the break. Let's hope we have enough. Anything above 17th will have to be enough. The owner and his board have damaged this club so badly that it is in serious danger of breaking altogether . It doesn't matter who the manager is this season is going to be ugly, unless they surprise us and bring a bit of quality into the midfield area. I won't hold my breath.

The game against Dynamo Kiev next week probably sums up Everton to a tee.

Forget the sentiment behind the fixture for one moment(which I totally get, before anyone starts to moan) here we have a team who will be very early in their preparations for the start of their season which also ended early last and doesn't start until 20th Aug.

My point is how is this fixture going to help our preparation for our season which starts the week later?

All other premier league teams are playing top Spanish Italian teams etc, were playing a team for sentimental reasons.

Surely Frank wanted a proper test the week before the season started?
So theoretically we should smash them, but we probably wont
Let’s go through that shall we?

Arsenal - Sevilla (4th in La Liga)
Villa - Rennes (4th in Ligue 1)
Bournemouth - Sociadad (6th in La Liga)
Chelsea - Udinese (12th in Serie A)
Palace - QPR (11th in Championship)
Brighton - Reading (21st in Championship)
Brentford - Betis (5th in La Liga)
Fulham - Villarreal (7th in La Liga)
Liverpool - Strasbourg (6th in Ligue 1)
Leicester - Sevilla (4th in La Liga)
Man City - Bayern (1st in Bundesliga)
Man Utd - Rayo Vallecano (12th in La Liga)
Newcastle - Bilbao (8th in La Liga)
Leeds - Cagliari (18th in Serie A)
Nottingham Forest - Union Berlin (5th in Bundesliga
Southampton - Villarreal (7th in La Liga)
Tottenham - Roma (6th in Serie A)
West Ham - Lens (7th in Ligue 1)
Wolves - Sporting (2nd in Liga Portugal)

Out of that list only really Sevilla, Bayern and Roma can be classed as top top teams (Villarreal at a push as well)

Let’s go through that shall we?

Arsenal - Sevilla (4th in La Liga)
Villa - Rennes (4th in Ligue 1)
Bournemouth - Sociadad (6th in La Liga)
Chelsea - Udinese (12th in Serie A)
Palace - QPR (11th in Championship)
Brighton - Reading (21st in Championship)
Brentford - Betis (5th in La Liga)
Fulham - Villarreal (7th in La Liga)
Liverpool - Strasbourg (6th in Ligue 1)
Leicester - Sevilla (4th in La Liga)
Man City - Bayern (1st in Bundesliga)
Man Utd - Rayo Vallecano (12th in La Liga)
Newcastle - Bilbao (8th in La Liga)
Leeds - Cagliari (18th in Serie A)
Nottingham Forest - Union Berlin (5th in Bundesliga
Southampton - Villarreal (7th in La Liga)
Tottenham - Roma (6th in Serie A)
West Ham - Lens (7th in Ligue 1)
Wolves - Sporting (2nd in Liga Portugal)

Out of that list only really Sevilla, Bayern and Roma can be classed as top top teams (Villarreal at a push as well)
I suspect all these teams would be quite the challenge for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.