Everton Pre-Season (Tours) 2022/23 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The formation with a strenuous back 5 can only absorb so long when you don't even try to string a few balls together.

The first half was beyond ugly. We just had the odd hit and hope...and then hope again that a 5% ball could lead to a half chance.

The second half was better because we put on players to seek space (Gordon and Iwobi) and other players not playing hoof to escape danger, but rather to actually a long pass in space.

Looking back on it again I don't think that Arsenal game was nearly as bad as some are claiming. Both Lampard and the players whom were interviewed afterwards went out their way to note that there were a number of positives to take given the relevant positions of both squads and I tend to agree. Both Lampard & Tarkowski even admitted that there was very little emphasis being put on formation & tactics relative to Arsenal's - we were more concerned about giving minutes to as many players as possible.

Looking back on it again I don't think that Arsenal game was nearly as bad as some are claiming. Both Lampard and the players whom were interviewed afterwards went out their way to note that there were a number of positives to take given the relevant positions of both squads and I tend to agree. Both Lampard & Tarkowski even admitted that there was very little emphasis being put on formation & tactics relative to Arsenal's - we were more concerned about giving minutes to as many players as possible.
All about the narrative .
If we won those above statements were gone.
I don't believe even professional footballers enjoy getting beat be it 3and in or head tennis.
Look at McGinn over the weekend

5 at the back

Newcastle away L 3-2
Palace away (Cup) L 4-0
Brentford home L 3-2
Watford away D 0-0, only team not to score at Vicarage Road
Arsenal away L 5-1
Palace home (1st half) L 2-0
Leicester away W 2-1
Brentford home (Cup) W 4-1
Boreham Wood home (Cup) W 2-0

4 league points playing 5 at the back, 16 from playing a back 4 yet 5 was the most used!!!

off the top of my head.......

Starting to wonder if Frank Lampard is the football version of Boris Johnson. Loads of bluster, tub thumping and ego massaging but tactically inept compared with all the other managers in the league.
Or, a manager who doesn't think he has a defensive midfielder who can help the defence and move the ball forward, when he plays a back 4. For what it's worth, I hate the 3 centre back system, but, I can see why Lampard feels forced into persisting with it at the moment. He even said himself that he needs a defensive centre midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.