Everton Pre-Season (Tours) 2022/23 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preseason means absolutely jack to be fair. Not pretending like our squad is impressive by any means, but it’s more important that nobody gets injured and we go into the regular season fully fit. Easy to switch off when there are no stakes.
I have a vague recollection that the season we qualified for the Champions League we had an awful preseason but I maybe mistaken. Anyway, i am not going into a panic just yet. Lets see what happens when the season proper starts

I have a vague recollection that the season we qualified for the Champions League we had an awful preseason but I maybe mistaken. Anyway, i am not going into a panic just yet. Lets see what happens when the season proper starts
I seem to remember us getting beat 4-3 by Rochdale pre-season, then us going on to win the league in 69-70

Remember that second pre-season under Martinez where we played like 6 games and didn't win a single one? lol lost about 4 or 5 of them even.

The results and performances were crap but more concerning for me was the still abysmal set pieces, both defending and attacking.
Our attacking set pieces are that bad they're usually a brilliant chance for the opposition to score on the counter.

Yah, b not preparing for a premier league season. Couldv invested that travel money in, you know, new players? Stay withing ffp? Whats the point?
Supposedly widening our global appeal ?.

And sadly, if they cancelled the whole US trip, the savings would probably be wiped out just by paying Gomes for 2 weeks. Sickening.

I missed most of it yesterday so I decided to watch it back.

I actually think there are some things to like in that first half?

I mean it is positionally a wreck at times but also there are some points where they are a well organized press. Which is exactly why they need to stick to one system so they can work out the kinks and get it fully firing. Way too many times where Iwobi, Davies and Doucoure are close to each other and the ball gets moved away from them leaving absolute chasms.

Which brings me to another point: whatever money we do have needs to go to buying the best DM we can attract. A real #6 can transform this side quickly. Iwobi and Doucoure do just enough to be alright if the guy behind them is good at his job.

In possession it really was encouraging. Poor opposition obviously but we're moving the ball decently well and are actually finding space in decent areas. Again it isn't perfect or even good but it is something you can build on if you're willing to endure some growing pains.

Also the intensity visibly drops after 30 minutes. They're not in shape to play matches yet. That'll need to change rapidly.

He's really good at own goals, scored about four of them last season.
Wich begs the question: what is he doing in our squad? I can understand a new manager wnats to test things, but at the end of last season his mind shouldv been made up: Keane is a liability, loses games, gives own goals. What is Lampard doing?

I missed most of it yesterday so I decided to watch it back.

I actually think there are some things to like in that first half?

I mean it is positionally a wreck at times but also there are some points where they are a well organized press. Which is exactly why they need to stick to one system so they can work out the kinks and get it fully firing. Way too many times where Iwobi, Davies and Doucoure are close to each other and the ball gets moved away from them leaving absolute chasms.

Which brings me to another point: whatever money we do have needs to go to buying the best DM we can attract. A real #6 can transform this side quickly. Iwobi and Doucoure do just enough to be alright if the guy behind them is good at his job.

In possession it really was encouraging. Poor opposition obviously but we're moving the ball decently well and are actually finding space in decent areas. Again it isn't perfect or even good but it is something you can build on if you're willing to endure some growing pains.

Also the intensity visibly drops after 30 minutes. They're not in shape to play matches yet. That'll need to change rapidly.
The report on the official site does an admirable job of making out we were the better team. Not sure I’ve ever witnessed an unlucky 0-4, though.

Sunday against Blackpool will be interesting.
I expect we will be back to 5 at the back unless Allan is fit to start or Gbamin is picked to start as a defensive midfielder.... which I DOUBT.

So. Pickford, Patterson, Tarkowski,Keane, Godfrey, Mykolenko, Doucoure, Davies, Gordon, DCL and Dele/Iwobi/Gray.

Sunday against Blackpool will be interesting.
I expect we will be back to 5 at the back unless Allan is fit to start or Gbamin is picked to start as a defensive midfielder.... which I DOUBT.

So. Pickford, Patterson, Tarkowski,Keane, Godfrey, Mykolenko, Doucoure, Davies, Gordon, DCL and Dele/Iwobi/Gray.
Frightening. League One in two years here we come.

Status
Not open for further replies.