Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we have rule, that if someone says they want or don't want a player they say why? Not just they are rubbish (or what other ways of say that).

Just getting bored of reading don't want him with no real reason.

Nobody is going to build their entire team around a player who has 0 goals and 2 assists in 65 senior appearances. You build teams around matchwinners, not around neat and tidy ball players.

But I agree to an extent. He’s been unlucky not to score for Scotland a couple of times. But for me, he’s playing too deep, too often. And he’s still learning. Under the right manager and within the right set up, where’s he’s encouraged to stay higher up the pitch more often, I think the goals and assists will come.

I rate him mate. lol

I always had my doubts about me, to be fair to you! lol

He's lightweight, no-paced and cant pick a forward ball out. He's always looking to work the ball wide.

Norwich fans were in uproar about how outrageously bad he was.

Can we have rule, that if someone says they want or don't want a player they say why? Not just they are rubbish (or what other ways of say that).

Just getting bored of reading don't want him with no real reason.
I think that could be challenging for some :oops:

In the right midfield he’s quality. Personally I think he’s best in a 4/1/3/2 with Gilmour in the centre of the 3
Could also be a 4/1/3/1/1 if playing 1 out and out centre forward and a 2nd deeper forward.
But you need the right type of midfielders around him.

In the games I have watched him he looks better when he is given a bit of freedom to move forward so I would agree on having a more defensive type along side him.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Same would apply if it's Winks that he gets to play this pivot role though

He wants someone who can play on the half turn, take the ball off the defenders and play through the lines. Gilmour and Winks can both do that, but they're both lightweight and you're going to need to compensate for that with having physical presence in there. Doucoure is the only one who gives you that in the current squad, so you'd want one more - and that explains the links to the likes of Onana, Vranckx and even Gallagher to a degree

Billy has the potential to be a Paul Scholes type of midfielder. He’s only 21, and isn’t the most physically gifted, athletic. If he doesn’t make it in the Premiership it’s not because of his football ability, the Championship wouldn’t suit him. I think he’d go to Spain, he’s suited to playing possession football, a quick, short passing game.

Not sure what happened with Gilmour last season, Norwich fans didn't seem to happy. I was at a Man City vs Chelsea U23 game the season before and he was unreal, ran the show.

Love the "see ya" on Fabinho.
Thats the 1st game i saw him , he was excellent.Then saw him boss Rice & Philips in the Euro's game.
Was a bit hit & miss at Norwich but werent they all.
Struggled under Farke but when Dean Smith came in he was 1st on the teamsheet.
Lampard trusts him & gave him his debut at Chelsea , thought it just a matter of time he went back for him.
Cracking little "clever" player.View attachment 174154

But I agree to an extent. He’s been unlucky not to score for Scotland a couple of times. But for me, he’s playing too deep, too often. And he’s still learning. Under the right manager and within the right set up, where’s he’s encouraged to stay higher up the pitch more often, I think the goals and assists will come.

Im surprissd posters wouldnt see Gilmour as a 'deep lying roaming playmaker'.

Given license to play and roam between defence and midfield and then sitting as an anchor when we dont have the ball to cut out through balls.

That would allow us to play on the front foot, take pressure off the defence and have a gap between them and the central midfielders.

I'd have thought he should have suited Norwich's style of play to be honest. I'm pretty sure that was trumpeted at the time as being one of the reasons why it was such a good loan for him. I feel like just because they were rubbish people have assumed they didn't try to play football but if anything their problem was the opposite.

Nah mate, read the Norwich and Chelsea forums the other day and the problem was they expected him to be their playmaker - almost like a sitting 6 receiving it from the defence and a number 10 unlocking defences.

By all accounts most if the season he was either receiving the ball massively deep with no options - or it was getting hoofed clear over him.

Saw criticism back and forth about him holding onto it too long and getting into trouble etc countered by the ' he had no options around him'

The way Norwich set up one million percent didn't suit the lad.

But if you just drop him into the current side we have right now, then we do t suit him either.

What we 'want' to be, a side dictating possession, high press - high back line however 'would' suit him very much.

So it's a question of will we bring in players capable of changing to what Lampard wants - if we can then Gilmour is a great signing, if we can't get will struggle hugely if we sit deep looking to counter with 35% possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.