Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re not mutually exclusive though. Gilmour could play in one of the roles ahead of Warrington. We’re short of quality everywhere so no reason they both couldn’t find a space in the squad.

they're the same type of player and neither is exactly premier league proven. i'd rather try and develop our own player than chelseas

I'd have thought he should have suited Norwich's style of play to be honest. I'm pretty sure that was trumpeted at the time as being one of the reasons why it was such a good loan for him. I feel like just because they were rubbish people have assumed they didn't try to play football but if anything their problem was the opposite.

That loan didn’t work out. Then again neither did Barkley at Wednesday or Gordon at Preston. Even Kane had a few different loans he didn’t shine at.

Of course it could be that Gilmour isn’t good enough but given what he showed in flashes at Chelsea he’s at least worth a loan deal to see if he can show anything here. He should have shown more at Norwich though.

That loan didn’t work out. Then again neither did Barkley at Wednesday or Gordon at Preston. Even Kane had a few different loans he didn’t shine at.

Of course it could be that Gilmour isn’t good enough but given what he showed in flashes at Chelsea he’s at least worth a loan deal to see if he can show anything here. He should have shown more at Norwich though.
Yeah it's not that I don't think he can kick on (although I am slightly sceptical from what i've seen if i'm honest), more that i've seen that excuse put forward quite a few times about it being difficult at Norwich and I just don't think it holds up. I'd say if he struggled due to the style of play at Norwich then he's going to really struggle here.

I have no idea whether Gilmour is going to be a PL standard player or Championship standard player for the rest of his career. The thing is I'm almost certain the coaches at Chelsea are just as clueless about his longer term trajectory. He will get another season at PL level to prove himself. You'd assume its going to be at a club nearer the bottom of the PL than the top. This would suggest if he's not at Everton this coming season he's going to be at a club very close to us in the league.

I like Gilmour but if we're getting him I still think we need someone with genuine physicality for our midfield.
Oh yeah, absolutely. Same would apply if it's Winks that he gets to play this pivot role though

He wants someone who can play on the half turn, take the ball off the defenders and play through the lines. Gilmour and Winks can both do that, but they're both lightweight and you're going to need to compensate for that with having physical presence in there. Doucoure is the only one who gives you that in the current squad, so you'd want one more - and that explains the links to the likes of Onana, Vranckx and even Gallagher to a degree

Status
Not open for further replies.