2021/22 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a shocker, in that I would have expected us to sell Mina rather than run that one down. Can't see Mina out without another buy. PSV's a good spot to develop.
PSV already have 5 CBs, so its a strange move for sure.
Looks like they have a couple of guys hurt and a 27 year old that they loaned out last season with a year to run on the contract. One is out for months after having ankle surgery at the beginning of the month, and the other blew out his knee against Leicester in April. This is why they were looking for cover. He'll get some pitch time.

Excellent move for him, excited to see how he does. We should be aiming to send a few the Bundesliga and see if they can kick on.

Bit of a shocker, in that I would have expected us to sell Mina rather than run that one down. Can't see Mina out without another buy. PSV's a good spot to develop.

Looks like they have a couple of guys hurt and a 27 year old that they loaned out last season with a year to run on the contract. One is out for months after having ankle surgery at the beginning of the month, and the other blew out his knee against Leicester in April. This is why they were looking for cover. He'll get some pitch time.

I think he walks into their side at LCB. They had a midfielder playing there at the end of the season (i think).

Goes to PSV and gets his distribution improved as well as taking on a more senior role there...comes back next season to take over from Mina.

I think thats the plan...

Rate this guy ridiculously highly for potential so hopefully he smashes the Eredivisie.

Then you have other lads who thrive. We’re in the process of bidding 25 mill for one.

Just don’t see the point in sending him out to a fella, who has made us systemically worse year on year while he was here and not doing much on youth development and pathways while here.

That and the Dutch league isn’t great.

Brands would know better then anyone our finances, costs, budgets and pressures, I smell a rat here.

Maybe Brands just knows the player is very good, and that we would be open to loaning him to aid his development?

Maybe Brands just knows the player is very good, and that we would be open to loaning him to aid his development?

Im sure he does mate. I just didn't see the clear developmental pathways under Brands in terms of youth development i thought i would, or was supposed to be on the tin, so i see little point entrusting Jarrods development under his organisation.

Jarrod to my mind, needs games at a high pace, to his decision making under developmental progression and pressure to evolve. I think the Dutch league is a bit pedestrian in the main, you will get a few competitive games but i dont see the competition pushing his development enough or as required. In short i dont trsut Brands at all.

Im sure he does mate. I just didn't see the clear developmental pathways under Brands in terms of youth development i thought i would, or was supposed to be on the tin, so i see little point entrusting Jarrods development under his organisation.

Jarrod to my mind, needs games at a high pace, to his decision making under developmental progression and pressure to evolve. I think the Dutch league is a bit pedestrian in the main, you will get a few competitive games but i dont see the competition pushing his development enough or as required. In short i dont trsut Brands at all.

Yes fair points. I'll take each one separately.

1) Brands didnt do enough with the touth teams. Not sure why. Suspect a big reason is hes used to Holland where good structures exist, and he didnt want to break a broken system. In England system is flawed. So he needed to be more radical, which he only seemed to be at the back end.

Suffice to say Holland has a good attitude to young players.

2) I take your point on Brainthwaite. He did have a good loan at Blackburn though, and also has played 40 odd games in league 1/2. They may feel that he has learned what he can from that, and needs a new challenge. European games etc.

3) The Dutch league does seem to develop and prepare younger players better than most leagues.

4) Its always a risk, but if he isnt playing here, which theres an argument he should be, then he is probably better learning in a new environment. I dint think Brands takes him, if he doesnt think he improves them.

Perfect loan for him. A decent level of players, some of which regularly go on to be good players in top leagues.

At PSV they’ll be playing good football and expected to win. Great experience.

Yes fair points. I'll take each one separately.

1) Brands didnt do enough with the touth teams. Not sure why. Suspect a big reason is hes used to Holland where good structures exist, and he didnt want to break a broken system. In England system is flawed. So he needed to be more radical, which he only seemed to be at the back end.

Suffice to say Holland has a good attitude to young players.

2) I take your point on Brainthwaite. He did have a good loan at Blackburn though, and also has played 40 odd games in league 1/2. They may feel that he has learned what he can from that, and needs a new challenge. European games etc.

3) The Dutch league does seem to develop and prepare younger players better than most leagues.

4) Its always a risk, but if he isnt playing here, which theres an argument he should be, then he is probably better learning in a new environment. I dint think Brands takes him, if he doesnt think he improves them.

Good post mate If hes not getting a chance then anywhere is a good move, if he plays, though i believe PSV have an established back line and a bit of depth anyway, so i wouldn't presume that he plays. Im trying to think of lads who went out to Holland on loan and came back at tore it up? I cant really maybe a couple of Chelsea lads. The long and the short of it mate, is i dont trust Brands, on every metric he never impressed me, i dont trust him with Jarrod to be honest. But i hope the loan goes well for him and i have the wrong of it. I also find the Dutch League very slow and methodical, i think Jarrod needs to improve his hesitation and decision making under pressure, i wouldn't have chosen that league for him personally. Lets see though be nice to see him in the CL if he gets the chance.

I think he walks into their side at LCB. They had a midfielder playing there at the end of the season (i think).

Goes to PSV and gets his distribution improved as well as taking on a more senior role there...comes back next season to take over from Mina.

I think thats the plan...

Rate this guy ridiculously highly for potential so hopefully he smashes the Eredivisie.
100% on board with your player evaluation and read of the the board's plan. Still absolutely floored that we're loaning him out.

The decision to loan him makes it clear enough that we're playing for a comfortable 16th (again). This is not necessarily a bad thing. Last season was 'survive and advance' where this one is 'survive and set up competing for Europe again'. I don't think Lampard is the long-run answer, but I'm very comfortable trusting his eye for talent and where developmental needs are. His track record on those is pretty good.

If Lampard says Branthwaite isn't good enough for his bench, I'm not inclined to gainsay him. His weaknesses as a manager have always been tactical, rather than squad development shortsightedness. He shipped Branthwaite off to one of the better developmental options available, and plugged the resulting squad hole with an upgrade. Those are the sort of hard calls I want to see a manager make. It suggests there is an underlying strategy.

100% on board with your player evaluation and read of the the board's plan. Still absolutely floored that we're loaning him out.

The decision to loan him makes it clear enough that we're playing for a comfortable 16th (again). This is not necessarily a bad thing. Last season was 'survive and advance' where this one is 'survive and set up competing for Europe again'. I don't think Lampard is the long-run answer, but I'm very comfortable trusting his eye for talent and where developmental needs are. His track record on those is pretty good.

If Lampard says Branthwaite isn't good enough for his bench, I'm not inclined to gainsay him. His weaknesses as a manager have always been tactical, rather than squad development shortsightedness. He shipped Branthwaite off to one of the better developmental options available, and plugged the resulting squad hole with an upgrade. Those are the sort of hard calls I want to see a manager make. It suggests there is an underlying strategy.

I think Branthwaite is easily good enough for the bench. However, going to PSV should give him a solid season of game time and more experience and time to develop his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.