New Everton Stadium Discussion

It also fits in with the original buildings in the area such as the titanic and tobacco warehouse . I’d much rather them do that and keep it traditional than lash a load of buildings up with crap cladding on the outside which will look massively dated on 10/15 years time.
Exactly, something sympathetic to the heritage, or a big FU statement.

Our stadium design is right for the area.

Looks fantastic that.

If you prefer architecture with zero nods to history, get yourself into a 1960's tower block flat. If there are any left.
Left to me it'd have been a big bare grey concrete brutalist bowl with the Leitch metal work transplanted from Goodison and barbed wire on the dock walls. But all in all I happy with what we are getting.

It just maddens me when you get a cluless fool like Meis deciding he knows this sort of thing is what we all want. I doubt very much if there'd been a consultation on it it would have had momentum.

Our fans aren't the misty-eyed sentimentalists the club and their mates at the Echo tell us we are.

That pattern to the brickwork looks a mess and adds NOTHING to the stadium aesthetic.
Dave, you’re too late. The fat lady has sung.

That is actually quite innovative. DFMA on a grand scale. I’m impressed.
There's a building opposite where I work that has brickwork applied like this, but they made the mad decision to use like a terracotta mortar, which makes the whole thing seem more artificial. You can also see the straight-line gaps between the panels, which totally breaks up the authentic brickwork look.

What we see here looks good, though.

I think the fact that all the brickwork is going to be in relatively thin strips all round the ground means we won't get the crappy tiled effect, either. It should look like every brick was laid on site, which is great.

Edit: in fact, I took a picture of the brickwork on that building, it really does look cack.

Screenshot 2022-07-15 at 17.20.50.png

This development has just been approved at West Waterloo Dock. With obvious references to the dock warehouse buildings and arches.
Is this "Utterly daft beyond belief" also?

View attachment 173775
No, because that's trying to do what it set out to achieve: a straight redbrick industrial design.

Yes, the new Everton stadium has that to it, but it's a nod in the direction of the dock warehouses - not anything to do with a football stadium in Walton - and done so within an overall futuristic concept.

You're comaparing apples and pears.