Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
God I hope Nunes is a failure because I’m not sure I can cope with the constant “we could’ve had him the season before for [insert much lower fee than was being reported]” and “Wolves overtaking us look how far we’ve fallen we need to be like them”

I don't think our midfield is better than it was at the end of 2020. And even if it is the outlay to get only a small bit better is horrendous.

Pickford is an average keeper. I'll die on that hill.

Fluffy.
Yellow.
Bobbins.

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 12.02.53.png

God I hope Nunes is a failure because I’m not sure I can cope with the constant “we could’ve had him the season before for [insert much lower fee than was being reported]” and “Wolves overtaking us look how far we’ve fallen we need to be like them”
He won’t be a failure he’ll be signing of the season, cause he didn’t go to us last summer.

I think theres a bit of a contradiction there though mate. Firstly in saying we are a 10th placed squad, but also saying we are a relegation squad. Those two things are quite different.

We are probably a 10th place squad, built on a 7th/8th placed budget who if they have a nightmare season where everything goes wrong can be 16th.

We had the worst injuries in the league last season. If we had just average levels of injuries, so Mina, DCL etc fit a lot more, we probably get 7 or 8 points more and finished 11th/12th. And that's still with an enormous amount going wrong. That's more the floor level.
I said the better players are 10th place. That's not the whole squad.

That's wrong though. Most of the squad literally finished 10th a year ago. Meaning that the better players were dragged down to 10th by the crap we have, and likewise the crap dragged up. The difference last year, we didn't have a top tier manager to get more out of the crap.

You talk about some of the other keepers like Ederson and mendy. It's hardly a surprise that they look better when they have defenders who can actually defend in front of them. Imagine playing behind Keane, Coleman and Kenny and the amount of mistakes they make in the 6 yard box.
I think both of those are about the same or slightly better than Pickford. The tier of average keepers is honestly pretty vast. To me only Alisson De Gea and Lloris have been consistent enough to separate themselves.

Now I'd pick a bunch over Pickford because I prefer a bit of steadiness over what he brings. But I'd also be worse off in a game like the Chelsea one where I need absolute magic to win it.

My father in law is a West ham fan and constantly slags Pickford. He literally rubs his hands when we play West ham and he sees Pickford walking out. According to him he makes mistakes all the time and guarantees one goal scoring chance a match. It actually infuriates me and I try and argue that Pickford has been solid for awhile now and has actually cut out most of the mistakes. He doesn't have it though so I've reverted to ignoring him totally now when he mentions it.
Same, I live down south and everyone thinks Pickford is a total clown and won’t have it at all when I try to correct them.

…was quite funny hearing them say Pickford would’ve saved most of the Hungary goals though

Most of the starts that season were Davies Gomes and Delph. This year was Allan Doucoure and Delph. I really don't think one is much better. They're both hot garbage.

How many times did we outplay a team in midfield this year? Is it 0?
And in the season between the two?

Ancelotti created a system where Allan, Doucoure and A.N. Other bossed the midfield in plenty of games, got at least parity in several more and only really struggled against the very best teams.

But sure, let's sell Doucoure and Allan, and start with Gomes, Davies and someone else in 2022/23. Good Lord above.

The sensible plan is to ship out Gomes and Davies, then bring in new starters who are better than Allan and Doucoure. Why? Because Allan and Doucoure are better than Davies and Gomes, so making them the backups raises our "floor" and makes our starting lineup better. Doing it your way makes the same improvement to the starting lineup better but keeps the very low floor where it is. The moment there's an injury in your version, Gomes has to start games. Unless you know of a transfer target who is totally impervious to injury, your approach leads to the lesser outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.