Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I read any contradiction.

The post suggested that Godfrey and Doucare were relegation standard not the whole of your squad.

As for your squad probably being a 10th place squad sorry that was just not the case. As they say the table doesn’t lie. As for being on 7th highest wages that may be the case
The table does lie in that respect though. It doesn't lie about your results but your results don't necessarily reflect the quality of your squad in any given season. You surely don't believe that sandwiched between winning the league in 2015 and 2017, your squad dropped to being the 10th best in 2016? You just had a dip in form, managerial problems etc, same as we did last year. Our squad is far from great but it's well capable of finishing in the top 10, as shown one season earlier.

Keepers at top 6 clubs get tonnes of praise but they have vastly different roles to keepers in the bottom 6. They actually have good defenders in front of them who don't allow runners to stroll into 6 yard box. And don't repeatedly score own goals.

The negative hype around pickford is blown up massively because he is England's number 1. Other fans bang on about how crap he is etc, but he has never once let England down. But the media are on him all the time.
My father in law is a West ham fan and constantly slags Pickford. He literally rubs his hands when we play West ham and he sees Pickford walking out. According to him he makes mistakes all the time and guarantees one goal scoring chance a match. It actually infuriates me and I try and argue that Pickford has been solid for awhile now and has actually cut out most of the mistakes. He doesn't have it though so I've reverted to ignoring him totally now when he mentions it.

The table does lie in that respect though. It doesn't lie about your results but your results don't necessarily reflect the quality of your squad in any given season. You surely don't believe that sandwiched between winning the league in 2015 and 2017, your squad dropped to being the 10th best in 2016? You just had a dip in form, managerial problems etc, same as we did last year. Our squad is far from great but it's well capable of finishing in the top 10, as shown one season earlier.
Football as they say is all about opinions and of course off the field issues do impact what happens on it.

As for us during that 3 year period where we went from winners to 10th to winners the was significant churn in player terms but aside from going from 10th to winning was Conte adapting to a 3 at the back, 3 of the established back 4 deployed by Mourino ( Cahill,Terry and Ivanovich ) were fast approaching the end of their sell by dates. So it was all about the incomings namely Kante , Alonso and Luiz . Kante changed the dynamic

Football as they say is all about opinions and of course off the field issues do impact what happens on it.

As for us during that 3 year period where we went from winners to 10th to winners the was significant churn in player terms but aside from going from 10th to winning was Conte adapting to a 3 at the back, 3 of the established back 4 deployed by Mourino ( Cahill,Terry and Ivanovich ) were fast approaching the end of their sell by dates. So it was all about the incomings namely Kante , Alonso and Luiz . Kante changed the dynamic

Kante should have won the Ballon during that period

Wins it with Leicester, then goes straight to Chelsea and wins it again

One of the best midfielders we'll ever see in the Premier League

There's no doubting Lukaku is a great striker but firstly his fee + wages would be obscene and secondly he's a tit.

We have a new manager, new DoF, lots of wasters leaving and little money to play with. We need to cultivate a squad of hungry, committed players not absolute mercenaries like him. It's not like he'd fire us into Europe or something.

Ok I read it all. Pickford is still average. I never said the rest are perfect. Alisson De Gea and Lloris are the clear best keepers because they've been the best shot stoppers over the longest periods. The rest are all in and around Pickford. I prefer some because they are consistent even if they don't hit the stellar highs Pickford does. Maybe you feel different. But for me if you're saying Pickford is clear of that group you're going too far. To bring him up in the De Gea Lloris level conversation is just flar wrong.
To be fair mate, Pickford is a very very good goalkeeper. Maybe not world class, but realistically if we didn’t have him in goal last season we likely would have been relegated

Status
Not open for further replies.