Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, he's not even a very good player now, he's not bad, but, no great shakes. I really worry that he will be Michael Keane mark 2.
There's that risk with most players to be honest. Every player we sign could end up like Gbamin and immediately get a horrific injury.

Which is why, free agents (granted they will have slightly elevated wages but will still be cheaper overall) are important right now.

Bit of tough grock action at the back. Always struck me as a decent guy in his interviews and was clearly a key leader for Burnley. Keep saying it, we need players with the right attitude and battling qualities. Who stay fit.

Hopefully he gives us this. Interested to see who else comes in, need a blend of youth and experience. Legs in midfield would be useful.

The 10 goals thing was just to try to illustrate the point, it wasn’t the crux of it. The main point was I didn’t think his performances changed that much, and I don’t think they have over the couple of years that have seen him veer from being hailed as top drawer to written off as a league one player. As goat pointed out, much of it probably comes from him scoring a couple of goals, which isn’t really how I judge my centre halves.

Would disagree myself, but it depends on the frame your applying. I never really consider him a starting center half, he can compete for a place, if he’s good enough he gets it. I consider him in reality a covering centre half, when your first choice is out you go reaching for him. So my arguememt wouldn’t be on the basis that I don’t think he will break the England or even the Everton first team. But i think his contribution as a covering utility centre half when needed at the close of the season is worthy of acknowledgment.

I think you are being harsh, over the last few years he put in a solid six months in Carlos first half a season, in his second he put in a solid shift over the Xmas and new year when we had no full backs, toward the end of the season I think he stepped up and contributed again when we were down to bare bones - if we are talking about goals conceded then the likes of Pickford didn’t step up either.

You can minimise a high or above average goals and goal involvement ratio for him, but it’s still relevant, it showed a level of desire, fight and commitment. He fought as hard as anyone and contributed much, comparatively others and arguably higher quality players didn’t or couldn’t in a dog fight.

I think it’s fair to acknowledge that, don’t think anyones arguing that he’s the second coming, but it’s ok to acknowledge when a lad has contributed and done well for us after putting in committed performemcrs. I think he absolutely stepped up when it was asked of him and contributed. He has my acknowledgement and.gratitude anyway.

Last edited:
There's that risk with most players to be honest. Every player we sign could end up like Gbamin and immediately get a horrific injury.

Which is why, free agents (granted they will have slightly elevated wages but will still be cheaper overall) are important right now.
Its not just the wages though, there will also be a 7 figure signing on fee.

Can't agree mate, we've been offering contracts on too much money, for too long a duration for such a long time, we are finally saying goodbye to some of our perennial under achievers this summer, our next move, a massive contract for a bang average centre back who will be 30 early in the season, and the icing on the cake, we are offering him 4 years, I sincerely hope it is just newspaper talk.
It’s not about the cost of the wages, it’s about the total cost of ownership.

Over 4 years, I think this will work out fairly reasonably.

Its not just the wages though, there will also be a 7 figure signing on fee.
Compared to a 20m fee that would be paid for someone with his experience, it's a much better deal. As we would still end up offering the same wages.

I read he was on 70k at Burnley and seen reports we offered him 90k. Which doesn't sound awful to me. I fully expect him to be a better option than all of our current CBs.

If he has a good attitude and resilience (he'll need it) then that would be a great start.
Regardless of age and even attributes and ability, too many of our signings in recent years simply have not had either of these qualities. You assume base levels of all of these things, but as we've seen, they are simply not there in a lot of cases.
If he is a leader, he should be considered for the captaincy when Coleman doesn't play.
It would be a good signal to the players and more broadly that things are going to change.

I remember that in the 70s you would consider a player's career totally over when they reached 30.

Now we have players looking after their body much better and as a result playing to a high standard into their mid 30s.

Provided he has lived and trained well I've no concerns about his age and the longevity of the contract.

Would disagree myself, but it depends on the frame your applying. I never really consider him a starting center half, he can compete for a place, if he’s good enough he gets it. I consider him in reality a covering centre half, when your first choice is out you go reaching for him. So my arguememt wouldn’t be on the basis that I don’t think he will break the England or even the Everton first team. But i think his contribution as a covering utility centre half when needed at the close of the season is worthy of acknowledgment.

I think you are being harsh, over the last few years he put in a solid six months in Carlos first half a season, in his second he put in a solid shift over the Xmas and new year when we had no full backs, toward the end of the season I think he stepped up and contributed again when we were down to bare bones - if we are talking about goals conceded then the likes of Pickford didn’t step up either.

You can minimise a high or above average goals and goal involvement ratio for him, but it’s still relevant, it showed a level of desire, fight and commitment. He fought as hard as anyone and contributed much, comparatively others and arguably higher quality players didn’t or couldn’t in a dog fight.

I think it’s fair to acknowledge that, don’t think anyones arguing that he’s the second coming, but it’s ok to acknowledge when a lad has contributed and done well for us after putting in committed performemcrs. I think he absolutely stepped up when it was asked of him and contributed. He has my acknowledgement and.gratitude anyway.
I’m not sure if you actually read what I said? You’re basically agreeing with me but framing it as an opposing viewpoint? My point was that I think he’s ‘alright’, which is essentially exactly what you’re saying too.

Compared to a 20m fee that would be paid for someone with his experience, it's a much better deal. As we would still end up offering the same wages.

I read he was on 70k at Burnley and seen reports we offered him 90k. Which doesn't sound awful to me. I fully expect him to be a better option than all of our current CBs.
I've read 90k, I've also read 120k, I hope he will be a better option than our current options, but, I'm not convinced he will be a major improvement, still, what do I know? I thought that Tubby Ashley would tighten us up at the back.

I’m not sure if you actually read what I said? You’re basically agreeing with me but framing it as an opposing viewpoint? My point was that I think he’s ‘alright’, which is essentially exactly what you’re saying too.

Ha I am, he’s a covering utility defender, I’m not proposing anything else, that’s his value and worth to us. But I do think that his contribution toward the end of the season is worthy of acknowledgement.

I've read 90k, I've also read 120k, I hope he will be a better option than our current options, but, I'm not convinced he will be a major improvement, still, what do I know? I thought that Tubby Ashley would tighten us up at the back.
So did I mate, so did I.

I back Lampard though and if he wants him, then I'm behind him.

It’s not about the cost of the wages, it’s about the total cost of ownership.

Over 4 years, I think this will work out fairly reasonably.
Don't forget the signing fee, there's no such thing as a free transfer these days. I think he is a very average player who, at best, will only be a marginal upgrade for us. I just hope that we haven't brought in someone who we find we need to move on and are unable to do so due to the length of his contract and the amount of his wages. I really don't see anyone else offering him big wages on a 4 year deal, still, I suppose that's why he is opting to sign for us as opposed to Villa, Leeds or Newcastle.

Status
Not open for further replies.