Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let him go to Villa.

Throwing £90-120k at average players is not how you bring an out-of-control wage structure to heel.
I know that free transfers aren't entirely free because the agents use it in negotiation but I still can't see us offering him 90-120k per week

I don't really have an opinion on his ability, but you can't bring bottom-half players in on top money and expect to get anywhere. Not when we're already well behind on FFP.

If the club can't find someone cheaper in all of world football, there is something fundamentally wrong with how it's operating.
don't think that we are going to get a half decent defender any cheaper. The days of getting a Seamus Coleman type of bargain are few and far between. I wish we could. But it's not likely. If Tarwokski can do a job , then get him in.
Of course I know what you mean. But were are all these bargain defender's. Branthwaite? Patterson? Mykolenko? Godfrey? All could be in the future great for Everton. As could Tarwokski. Who knows.
I do know what you are saying. But what if we get in a really cheap defender who proves to be useless. No money lost I guess. But time.....And goals lost. Along with points.can

Tarwokski imo could be good for Everton. Let's not get fixiated on his cost. If he did actually manage to tighten up our defence. Then that will do for me. Offload a few deadwood ( and we have plenty ). To counter his cost. Difficult I know. But isn't Tosun away. That's a start.
And who knows. Lampard and better players around him , might just unleash a gem. Or at least just a decent solid defender.
If we don't take the gamble. Then who knows.
Ps........where are all these young hungary cheap defenders going to come from. Not that many about. And the good ones aren't going cheap. And are not coming to Everton. Up The Toffees....

Ok......maybe the wages being mentioned are a bit steep. But what is the going rate for a decent defender. And I think that Tarwokski is a decent defender. Do we need to bring in defenders on say £ 20,000 a week , who are mainly useless and add nothing to the team.
It's all a gamble anyhow. How much does mistake almost every match Keane cost us. How much does injured every 5 minutes Mina cost us.
It's all just a gamble. But I think that Tarwokski could be good for us. Just an opinion.

Frankly believes in him, i believe he tried to bring him to Chelsea. Look, you have to back the manager. so that's where I'm at.

Does it strengthen the squad probably.

Is it long term thinking, prob not, but that might be ok, we may make a couple of short range moves to sheperad us to a new ground and stay in the PL were we can reassess with greater revenue. While there may be value in the deal given its a free.

Concerns? I always worry about signing defenders from ultra defensive teams, teams that are built to spoil and not concede it helps defenders and makes them look very good. The whole focus of a team is not to concede and because of that their defenders can look very good, but they get huge support they wouldnt elsewhere. stoke a few seasons ago under Pulis were another like Burnley.

Ultimately i go back to my first sentence.

Thats objectively not true. If 90,000 was the average wage across a 23 man squad our wage bill would be tens of millions less than it is currently. Its an average wage for a premier league player now...

The average is £60-70k a week.

The point being that we don't want to be in a position where we have mutiple players on £90-£100k a week (James, Gomes, Bernard, Mina, Delph, Sandro for example) and get zero in return on the field. Your top players should be the top earners.

No one would really argue if Richy and Pickford were on that wage as they offer to the club, have higher value. We also have to punt a few first.

Unfortunately the rumoured £120k a week for this feller (an above average premiership CB) doesn't fall in that category for me. Let Villa and Newcastle fight it out.

Richarlison was on the end of a potentially career ending tackle by this grot. Let him find his level in the championship, maybe still at Burnley hopefully.

Tarkowski £90k a week for 4 years = £18.7mil

Market value was £30mil+ in 2020 and £20mil in 2021 (with one year on his deal).

Konate £70k a week for 4 years = £14.5mil plus £36mil fee = £50.5mil

Tarkowski £18.7mil / Konate £50.5mil

Unless ive misinterpreted your post...
Yes and no. Tarkowski may ask for up to£10mill sign on fee(this will be his last one) and get it dependent on how desperate a club is for his services = £28.7mil at a start off age of 29 and no resell value up to the age of 33.

Konate total of £50mil but with a start off age of 22 on a four year deal he leaves after three to one of the so called big four or european big boys if successful with a figure that would dwarf his signing fee to reinvest.

Too long we have tried and failed to buy established players and failed miserably, the introduction of a nearly proven may be better than an only proven at a relegated side style of player.

There are far to many variables in transfers, the foreign player (Moise Kean) fails, the home grown but older player does not perform without his sidekick(Cottee and macKevennie), but as a supporter I have a gut feeling of who i want at Everton and for me its not Tarkowski. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong just giving my two penneth.

Don’t like it. No better then what we have. Paying an inflated wages will cause issues negotiating down the line with other players

This is my feeling, Lampard may have wanted him when he was at Chelsea but Tarkowski was a lot younger then. For him to sign which CBs are we to lose, Mina, Holgate, Keane, Branthwaite, Godfrey ?

Yes and no. Tarkowski may ask for up to£10mill sign on fee(this will be his last one) and get it dependent on how desperate a club is for his services = £28.7mil at a start off age of 29 and no resell value up to the age of 33.

Konate total of £50mil but with a start off age of 22 on a four year deal he leaves after three to one of the so called big four or european big boys if successful with a figure that would dwarf his signing fee to reinvest.

Too long we have tried and failed to buy established players and failed miserably, the introduction of a nearly proven may be better than an only proven at a relegated side style of player.

There are far to many variables in transfers, the foreign player (Moise Kean) fails, the home grown but older player does not perform without his sidekick(Cottee and macKevennie), but as a supporter I have a gut feeling of who i want at Everton and for me its not Tarkowski. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong just giving my two penneth.

Good sense says Konate but with FFP and those two sods can we afford the transfer fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.