Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a solid defender and is the kind that normally does well here. We do better with defence first defenders. Doesn't get injured very often(until he joins us obv). I think it is a smart signing. I don't want flashy defenders I want effective defenders.

Gough, Distin both did well after being poo pooed by fans. We won't be attracting top tier and given what has just gone on this season, give me a Mr dependable anytime.
People seem to forget that before Tarkowski went to Burnley, he was known as a "classy on the ball" type defender in the lower leagues. I think he actually had to adapt his game to be less of a "footballer" in the Burnley system

Lampard also wanted him at Chelsea

My only two concerns with him would be his age (30 this year) and how long the contract would be, plus how quick he is on the turn - it's difficult to gauge that at Burnley where they play so deep and aren't often exposed behind them. You look at how good Keane looked there and how he's struggled when we've tried to be more expansive at times

I’d like to know who the alternative CB’s are for this 16th placed FFP threatened club?
I think there’s a pinch of realism needed here, we need to rebuild so nothing will be completely fixed in one window.
I think that's one of the main issues people have isn't it? That signing a bloke who turns 30 about 5 games into the season and giving him a £90k a week contract doesn't really fit with the idea of us having a long term rebuild. I think a fair bit of the concern is that he's the first big link we've seen, and he's no different from the profile of player we've been buying for years. If we sign Colwill, Johnson, Gilmour, Broja etc aswell then it's not an issue for me, but it does make you worry at the moment that we're not going to get the complete reset we were hoping for.

We let Duffy go too soon, and now it is far too late to think about trying to get him back.

I know he is only 30. He has done very well at Brighton, is a hit with their fans.

I love the guy, he came through the EFC academy, and he and his late Dad loved Everton.

No going back now I'm afraid.

Yeah, seemed like we missed out there. A solid PL level defender and definitely good enough to improve our defence! Funny how these decisions are made - must be so hard to get it right.

Committing big wages on substandard players who don’t generate profit and sit out their contracts leeching those wages has been a consistent throughout Moshiri’s era. I’m not saying this lad will be this, I’m just saying he’s not likely to generate a profit as he’s peaked and it just whiffs a bit of Ashley Williams.
Whilst I get that point of view and it has been our issue and I would look at younger everywhere else and every other signing, we still need some experience /leadership back there. Keane isn't good enough, Holgate and Godfrey inconsistent, Branthwaite not ready, Mina never fit. And unless you are getting someone totally over the hill on the cheap, sometimes you have to pay for experience...

Last edited:
I think that's one of the main issues people have isn't it? That signing a bloke who turns 30 about 5 games into the season and giving him a £90k a week contract doesn't really fit with the idea of us having a long term rebuild. I think a fair bit of the concern is that he's the first big link we've seen, and he's no different from the profile of player we've been buying for years. If we sign Colwill, Johnson, Gilmour, Broja etc aswell then it's not an issue for me, but it does make you worry at the moment that we're not going to get the complete reset we were hoping for.
I've read it's 120k we are offering him. That's would be our highest earner I belive

Committing big wages on substandard players who don’t generate profit and sit out their contracts leeching those wages has been a consistent throughout Moshiri’s era. I’m not saying this lad will be this, I’m just saying he’s not likely to generate a profit as he’s peaked and it just whiffs a bit of Ashley Williams.
Sensible post from Chico alert….

Last edited:
We let Duffy go too soon, and now it is far too late to think about trying to get him back.

I know he is only 30. He has done very well at Brighton, is a hit with their fans.

I love the guy, he came through the EFC academy, and he and his late Dad loved Everton.

No going back now I'm afraid.
I honestly don't think Shane Duffy is even close to the answer to our problems.
He wasn't let go to Celtic for a season because of outstanding performances.

I just think it's kind of sad that we're just going for the first out of contract grock we can find with Premier League experience

We never seem to look further than the front of our face

Lack of imagination sometimes

Unless you factor that Lampard wanted him two years ago at Chelsea mate. Him and Rice where two transfers the SD basically blocked from happening.

So kinda not just cos he's free, but more he's someone Lampard wanted and NOW he's free it makes perfect sense to try

I don't mind Tarkowski, wages are a bit steep but we have little pulling power over other prem teams right now other than we can offer more wages if needs be.

My only worry with Tarkowski is him being Keane all over again.

Burnley play such a specific way and have also benefitted from having a natural leader and captain as the partner for every CB pairing in Ben Mee, that whoever he's played alongside in a deep line has generally looked decent.

It reflects our likely transfer pot.

Status
Not open for further replies.