Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Committing big wages on substandard players who don’t generate profit and sit out their contracts leeching those wages has been a consistent throughout Moshiri’s era. I’m not saying this lad will be this, I’m just saying he’s not likely to generate a profit as he’s peaked and it just whiffs a bit of Ashley Williams.

My only worry is the lad’s pace (which I can’t really comment on but assume it’s lacking as he’s at Burnley).

If we want to play more attacking (433 etc), we need quick centre backs to push up and hold that line, as we constantly get caught when our current lot try that.

Committing big wages on substandard players who don’t generate profit and sit out their contracts leeching those wages has been a consistent throughout Moshiri’s era. I’m not saying this lad will be this, I’m just saying he’s not likely to generate a profit as he’s peaked and it just whiffs a bit of Ashley Williams.

yup

Mina is fine when he can stay fit for longer than 5 minutes

The rest are so-so at best though

I think Branthwaite can still improve as well

Id honestly sell Mina is an actual cash offer came in.

Tarkowski is more reliable than Mina, he’s better than Keane, Godfrey & Branthwaite, he’ll cost us a signing on fee of a few mill & we caj use what little money we have elsewhere to improve.

Signing Tarkowski makes sense.

Mina is fine when he can stay fit for longer than 5 minutes

The rest are so-so at best though

I think Branthwaite can still improve as well

It's not an ability issue for Mina, but we need to sell him this year to avoid losing him for free. We can't afford high wages on someone who is hardly ever available. It was exactly the same issue with James, although people didn't like to admit it.

Branthwaite needs a loan

Holgate is very inconsistent. Started poorly but finished much better

Keane is most effective only in backs to the wall gameplans.

Godfrey to me is better as a left back.

It's a crucial position this summer, and we really should look to sell any of them who have interest.

Would you want Harry McGuire then? I wouldn't. I'd suggest that scoring goals wasn't Burnley's only problem that's why they've been relegated. Plus i bet their keepers weren't making half a dozen worldies every game just to keep them in games.
Yes, obviously.

Scoring goals was definitely Burnley's problem, because despite conceding comparable to or fewer goals than teams finishing in European positions they had a goal difference of -19.

Also, It would be no surprise if De Gea was the Man Utd player of the season.

I just think it's kind of sad that we're just going for the first out of contract grock we can find with Premier League experience

We never seem to look further than the front of our face

Lack of imagination sometimes

I don't think we should play like Burnley but their style is closer to what we should be playing than what lots of posters seem to want. We shouldn't ever be playing a really high line. We are at our best when we are direct and get the ball forward quickly. I don't think Everton will ever be good as a passive, possession based side.

We need defenders firstly who can compete physically and in the air. Our record from set plays this year shows we don't have that at the minute.
We'll be at our best when we play a style that suits the players we have. Just being called Everton doesn't prevent us from playing possession football, having crap footballers does. If we buy good footballers who suit possession football, we'll get better at it. It's not a hugely complicated idea really.

With Tarkowski it's not just about the high line, it's about the whole system. It's about whether a player looks as good when taken out of that system that they're drilled in where everybody knows exactly what they're doing and is on the same page as their teammates. There are plenty of players who have shone at one club and then flopped at others for that reason, we've had plenty of them ourselves. Again, i'm not against the signing and if it's what Lampard wants to do then fine, I just don't like this 'he's clearly so much better than everyone we've got I can't believe people aren't doing cartwheels' stuff. People have said it about a lot of players we've signed in recent years. They've been wrong about roughly 95% of them.

I've watched them over the last couple of seasons and he's just clearly a better defender.

Burnley had a top 10 defence and went down because they were toothless. We were in a relegation fight mainly because we were abysmal in defence. We conceded 66 goals - absolutely crazy

I don't rate any of our centre halves. They are really poor for this level.

But you're going on like Burnley were some great side at the back and the reason they struggled was because of the attack. Their midfield and attack is a big part of their defence. The defenders were not standing on their own fighting off prem teams while the rest stood about.
He might be ok. But the comment you replied to is correct. Its a potential wary signing from a club where we made an awful error before and they havent really changed their style of play that much since.

I just think it's kind of sad that we're just going for the first out of contract grock we can find with Premier League experience

We never seem to look further than the front of our face

Lack of imagination sometimes
As someone put beautifully in a group I’m in “good to see Thelwell doing his scouting from North West tonight”.

But you're going on like Burnley were some great side at the back and the reason they struggled was because of the attack. Their midfield and attack is a big part of their defence. The defenders were not standing on their own fighting off prem teams while the rest stood about.
He might be ok. But the comment you replied to is correct. Its a potential wary signing from a club where we made an awful error before and they havent really changed their style of play that much since.

I rate him as a defender. I've watched more Burnley this season than I expected to for obvious reasons!!

We don't have lots of money and badly need a defensive upgrade. If we can get someone reliable on a free transfer then I'm more than happy. I don't mind his age because I don't see many young centre halves performing well in this league. You need to put youth around your centre halves and goalkeeper who form the spine.

Status
Not open for further replies.